Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   AG Meet - Hastings - Saturday 26 May (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/29973-ag-meet-hastings-saturday-26-may.html)

stepurhan 10-30-2011 05:28 AM

AG Meet - Hastings - Saturday 26 May

As promised, this is the follow-up to my suggestion that a AG forum meet-up is held in Hastings, a town I know quite well.

Basic Hastings Tourist Information

Proposed activities include a bespoke guided tour of the historic old town, crazy golf, exploration of the smuggler's caves or a look round the castle. Also looking at having a meal in the late afternoon as at the Amsterdam meet.

How to get there

• By Rail - Rail lines come into Hastings from London Charing Cross in the North, Brighton in the West and Ashford in the East. Ashford International has a Eurostar stop at it so anyone coming across from the continent by that route has a relatively easy connection through.
  • By Air - Gatwick is on a direct rail line to Hastings.
  • By Road - Various routes in. Probably best to PM me if you want more specific instructions.
  • By Narwhal - Nice shallow beach to land your narwhal on so, as long as you don't have a particularly deep-hulled narwhal, you should be able to coast in nicely. North side of the English Channel, about a quarter of the way along from the East end.
I have various details for accommodation ranging from small B & B's to swankier hotels. If people prefer I can post a few details of various places here or you can PM me for a more personalised service.

There is a local place that hires out wheeled transport for individuals where required. I promise that I won't push anyone under a tram this time (we don't have trams in Hastings any more so it is an easy promise to keep :P )

I'm suggesting toward the end of May, as I believe at least one member of the forums is already proposing to be in the UK around that time.

Over to you lot for thoughts, suggestions and queries.

Jelena 10-30-2011 07:08 AM

Ooh exciting!
Sounds like great plan for the day Step.

Lucien21 10-30-2011 07:19 AM

Do we need eye protection against those damn Normans?

Luna Sevithiainen 10-31-2011 10:04 AM

Sounds like a great idea! Hastings isn't the (other) end of the world, so I could try to arrange something. Can't promise anything, but I'll certainly keep my eye on this thread.

Jazhara7 10-31-2011 12:25 PM

I just asked my dear (who is finally back from the hospital after having his tonsils removed last Thursday ^_^) if he might want to come along, and he said it would be nice, seeing as we could also visit my sister and see a bit of England.

Of course, I can't promise anything yet. I have to see how things are with our studies, as in May the new semestre has already started. Also, at the end of May next year is also Pentecost, which is always the time when the WGT is in Leipzig - though I'd be willing to skip that this year, to see the forum family again. :) So the main thing I'd have to see is how the University timetables will be then.

Still, I am confident that I will somehow manage it. :)

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Fantasysci5 10-31-2011 12:35 PM

Well, I wonder who that forum member proposing to be there at the end of May is...could it be me? :P

Oh man, would love to. Hastings is definitely one of the places I really want to see, and as long as it is between May 20-June 3rd, I'll be there, and Louie as well.

I really can't wait to meet some of my forum family, and it'll probably be one of the only times Louie and I will be able to. Can't wait to see people there. Thanks for planning, Step! :D

UPtimist 10-31-2011 01:55 PM

Ah, once again, wish I could be there, but alas, money is tight (at first I wrote "money is tights", which could've explained a lot).

And I just today read that Olafur Eliasson will be doing something (might even be a full-on exhibition) for the London Olympics. Though, I'm not sure if it's there yet at that time, it would've been another thing to visit on the way...

But unless hit an unforeseen cash flow, I highly doubt I can make it. Plus, there's also another trip I'd like to make :P

Hammerite 10-31-2011 05:15 PM

I'd be very interested in going to this.
Additionally, there's a chance - albeit a very small one - that I could make it!

:D

tsa 10-31-2011 10:41 PM

It's worth it just to see Hammie in the flesh ;). I'm there if Pain Boy keeps behaving like he is now. I hope I won't need a wheelchair this time but thank you very much for considering it Step!

tsa 10-31-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist (Post 592703)
But unless hit an unforeseen cash flow, I highly doubt I can make it. Plus, there's also another trip I'd like to make :P

I also want to make that trip. I fear May 2012 is going to be an expensive month.

Intense Degree 11-01-2011 09:00 AM

Sounds good, hopefully I will be there! :)

tsa 11-01-2011 09:08 AM

Can we fix a date soon? The earlier we book the hotels the cheaper they are :P.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasie
Oh man, would love to. Hastings is definitely one of the places I really want to see, and as long as it is between May 20-June 3rd, I'll be there, and Louie as well.

Fantasysci5 11-01-2011 09:12 AM

Sure, as long as it's within that time period. What do you think, Step?

I'm going to stay at a B&B, if they have one. I'm hoping to stay in all B&Bs during my trip. <3

tsa 11-01-2011 09:23 AM

B&B are nice. I had one in Looe this summer. It's cosier than a hotel and about as expensive.

Jelena 11-01-2011 09:48 AM

I too would like to decide on a date. If I'm lucky I can get a flight really cheap.
I intend to stay at a B&B as well. I love B&Bs! :D

tsa 11-01-2011 09:57 AM

I'll go by car and boat. Cheaper than flying.

RLacey 11-01-2011 10:48 AM

I might consider attending. Med School work-dependently...

stepurhan 11-01-2011 10:53 AM

How does 26th May sound? It's a Saturday, so less of an issue for people to take time off work, and it is in the middle of a certain time-frame.

Hastings has B & B's. We are a seaside town after all.

Fantasysci5 11-01-2011 11:34 AM

Sounds good for me. It'll give me some time to get adjusted over there. :)

(I'm a bit nervous about meeting everyone...:P)

tsa 11-01-2011 11:48 AM

You don't have to be nervous. Just say something like "O it's just like in Dreamfall when..." and everybody will start talking adventure games.

stepurhan 11-01-2011 01:02 PM

Don't say "This is just like that bit in Phantasmagoria........", especially if you're referring to the game's closing chapters. :P

Jelena 11-01-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan (Post 592777)
How does 26th May sound? It's a Saturday, so less of an issue for people to take time off work, and it is in the middle of a certain time-frame.

Sounds good to me, but I'll have to check at work before I give it my vote.

tsa 11-01-2011 01:55 PM

I don't work, so I think it's OK :).

Luna Sevithiainen 11-01-2011 10:49 PM

I'll note it in my agenda. I think I'll know in the coming months whether I will be able to make it.

Although, I just saw that it is likely that we'll celebrate my brother's birthday that weekend...let's see, what's more important..... :P

The good thing is that it's Pentecost weekend, so I have the next monday the day off (which, coincidently, is my parents anniversary).

So pros: don't have to take up any free days which I may not have at that period to be able to stay in Hastings a bit longer than just to travel to the meet and back again.
cons: happy family occasions all around :P

tsa 11-02-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen (Post 592808)
Although, I just saw that it is likely that we'll celebrate my brother's birthday that weekend...let's see, what's more important..... :P

My brother will most probably also want to celebrate his birthday party that weekend. I already know what is more important http://serve.mysmiley.net/animated/anim_61.gif.

Jatsie 11-02-2011 07:36 AM

Will there be a 70m long embroidery stitched by English spinsters to commemorate the event?

tsa 11-02-2011 08:13 AM

That would be so cool!

Last time Step made buttons for all of us to wear. Shall I do that this time?

stepurhan 11-02-2011 11:43 AM

I'm perfectly happy for you to take over badge-making if you wish to tsa. It might be nice to have badges in a different style this time.

The English spinsters skilled in embroidery are on back order. I'm not sure I'll be able to get them in time. We may need to revert to the ancient art of digital photography instead. :)

Lucien21 11-02-2011 12:07 PM

Hopefully my annual accounts are done by then and the auditors will be in.

So being at the other end of the country for a weekend sounds like a great idea.

I'll try and budget it in.

stepurhan 11-02-2011 12:13 PM

But auditors are lovely. Not as lovely as meeting the AG forum crowd but still great guys. :P

The Normans mainly maraud a few miles north at Battle (where the actual battle took place) so protective eyeware should not be required.

Lucien21 11-02-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan (Post 592881)
But auditors are lovely. Not as lovely as meeting the AG forum crowd but still great guys. :P

The Normans mainly maraud a few miles north at Battle (where the actual battle took place) so protective eyeware should not be required.

Coincidently my old boss is from Battle. I hear it's nice.

Fantasysci5 11-02-2011 01:38 PM

Badges are a really great idea!

I was afraid that some people who don't post pictures much would come in, and I wouldn't know who they were. And I'm always forgetting people's actual names and using their forum names. :P

tsa 11-02-2011 02:05 PM

Oh you mean Hammie? ;) :P

stepurhan 11-02-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 592887)
Badges are a really great idea!

I was afraid that some people who don't post pictures much would come in, and I wouldn't know who they were.

Gosh, it is a while since I posted a picture. I look a lot like this.

http://www.realbollywood.com/up_imag...-Depp4172e.jpg
Quote:

And I'm always forgetting people's actual names and using their forum names. :P
stepurhan IS my real name. It is just other people that insist I use another name in day to day activities. :D

tsa 11-02-2011 10:43 PM

Can I use the AG logo for the badges Step/Fantasie?

UPtimist 11-03-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan (Post 592893)
Gosh, it is a while since I posted a picture. I look a lot like this.

http://www.realbollywood.com/up_imag...-Depp4172e.jpg

Oh, well since you posted a pic, I might as well. I look a lot like this:
http://affordablehousinginstitute.or...ng-215x300.jpg

tsa 11-03-2011 08:44 AM

Meh, my parents don't want to go with me to Hastings. Who wants to go with me?

stepurhan 11-03-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 592899)
Can I use the AG logo for the badges Step/Fantasie?

I cleared it with Jack for the last meeting. Provided the badges aren't made in a way that suggests the wearers are representing the site (the meet details I put on the previous badges covered that) then use of the logo is fine.

Jazhara7 11-05-2011 04:54 AM

Is the date set for pentecost? Because I'd like to book the flight as soon as possible, so as to still get a good price. :) My dear Johannes will be attending too, and we'll also visit my sister beforehand, so lodging won't be a problem for us. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 592926)
Meh, my parents don't want to go with me to Hastings. Who wants to go with me?

I'm afraid I can't make good on my offer to help you on the train. Normally I would, but after looking at the prices they are expecting you to pay for the journey to brussels alone (thank you, Deutsche Bahn AG! >_<), I think my boyfriend and I will be taking the plane after all. :(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone else will pick you up. It would be a shame if you had to miss out on this meeting.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

tsa 11-05-2011 06:39 AM

I wanted to go by car but that is too far to do on my own. So I will see how the prices of flying or travelling by train are. The City of Enschede has spent 100 million euros during the last ten years in postponing a decision about what to do with our airport so I wil try to fly from Düsseldorf instead of Enschede.