You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat AG Meet - Hastings - Saturday 26 May

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #81
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

A few thoughts from someone who lives in London at the moment. With the disclaimer that I don't look into this much...

If you're only making a few trips, an Oyster card will pay for itself after about 2 of them or something silly.

If you're doing a lot of travelling in a week or two, it might be worth adding a Travelcard to said Oyster card (essentially making all tube journeys within the zones of your choice, and all bus journeys in all zones free). There are student discounts on travelcards, but you have to apply for a different student oystercard and provide proof that you're based in London or somesuch, so it would probably be difficult to sort out .

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx <- Far too many prices to pick from.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #82
Failed Birthday Elf

I'll second what Old McLacey says. An Oyster card will save you a lot of money on the tube etc. a travelcard, if you're travelling around more, will save you more and you can get a day or week long one without having to get a photocard etc.

The Travelcard would give you unlimited travel by Train/Bus/Tube within the London Area and I'm pretty sure you could extend it to Hatfield. If this is the better option for you then you don't need to bother with an oystercard, unless you particularly want one!

They do do special "visitor" versions, http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/, although I would probably wait until you are here to buy one as I don't think it is any cheaper to buy in advance.

Having said that, if you did but it in advance it would get you from Heathrow (within travelcard zone 6) to Hatfield (if extended).

Hope that helps?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #83
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to take a look at them.

There's been a slight change of plans though. We're not going to stay a week after all, due to concerns of missing things at university. So we're only staying from Friday to Tuesday, and will likely be staying in Hastings overnight for one or two nights too. So we'll be able to meet beforehand too.

We're going to arrive at Heathrow (stupid Lufthansa only flies to Heathrow from Frankfurt International Airport. The only flights to the other airports are from Frankfurt Hahn...and frankly, Frankfurt Hahn is about as far away from the actual city of Frankfurt (and the normal airport) as Hastings is away from Heathrow. O.o And Frankfurt Hahn doesn't have a proper train connection either, as far as I know. (If you ever go to Frankfurt by plane, pay the extra money to go to Frankfurt International. Seriously, 120 kms by car will cost about as much in the end, if not even more.). So yeah, Heathrow it is.

We'll arrive at about 14:15 at Heathrow, so if everything goes as planned, we'll probably arrive at Hastings at 17:00 latest. If that is completely implausible, please correct me. That is an estimate based on a complete lack of knowledge of the exisiting connection between Heathrow and Hastings.

So now we only have to book a hotel in Hastings for those one or two nights.

Also, Tibsie, are you going to come by too? Pretty please? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be more than happy to have you along, my friend.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #84
tsa
Playing character

Jazz, maybe you can convince your sister to come to Hastings. Or is she scared of adventure gamers?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #85
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Also, Tibsie, are you going to come by too? Pretty please? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be more than happy to have you along, my friend.
I agree!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #86
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I shall see. It's going to be very much university and exam-dependent, and I won't know for certain until a fair bit closer to the time.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #87
tsa
Playing character

I'd like Hammie to come too .
Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Jazz, maybe you can convince your sister to come to Hastings. Or is she scared of adventure gamers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I agree!
I'll try. She's not afraid of Adventure Gamers at all. In fact, she used to play Adventure Games a lot too (though the last one she played was Monkey Island 4, as far as I recall).

She's not a people person though. But I'll try my best to get her to Hastings. Even if I have to drag her there kicking and screaming. (I won't be able to do much if she has weekend shift at the clinic, though ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I shall see. It's going to be very much university and exam-dependent, and I won't know for certain until a fair bit closer to the time.
Quote:
I'd like Hammie to come too .
That would be great Robert.

And yes, it would be great if our Hammykins comes too!

-

Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #89
Tea & Cookie Monster

I have boked flight and will arrive on Gatwick at 12:35 on the 25th, and leave from Heathrow 16:40 on the 28th!
I will stay at Alexanders!

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!
I'm really nervous and really scared and really excited!! And really, really freaked out!!
This is the biggest thing I have ever done in my whole life since... well, since I was born!!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #90
tsa
Playing character

Cool, welcome to the adventurers Majsan!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #91

My sister says she will be available as Taxi Service but asks what there is to see in Hastings (apart from a Battle in the past).

Don't take that too serious, though (though options would surely help as well). The main thing she will have to wait for is the Work schedule for the Clinic before she can say for sure if she'll be available on the 26th.

-

Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #92
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
My sister says she will be available as Taxi Service but asks what there is to see in Hastings (apart from a Battle in the past).
Oh that might be very handy for me. I will need a wheelchair again just like in Amsterdam.

Quote:
Don't take that too serious, though (though options would surely help as well). The main thing she will have to wait for is the Work schedule for the Clinic before she can say for sure if she'll be available on the 26th.
We'll see. I can always hire a car but I don't think it will actually be very handy.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #93
Failed Birthday Elf

I suspect we won't need cars around Hastings (although I don't know how extensive your guided tour is Step!) but I will probably be driving down, hopefully with Mrs Degree and the Third Degree.

In fact, if any of you cheapo students want a lift from around London and don't mind screaming babies and sharing a car with some weirdo from the internet I may be able to assist!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #94
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Oh that might be very handy for me. I will need a wheelchair again just like in Amsterdam.
Already covered. When you know what time you're going to be at Hastings station let me know and I can meet you there with a fold-up one similar to the one you used in Amsterdam.

I am reckoning we will be able to get round Hastings on foot fairly easily. There are places to park in the main part of town but it is not ideal for picking up and dropping off over short distances. No canal boat tours on this one but I do have my bespoke walking tour. Depending on the weather and people's preferences on the day we can also look at the castle or the caves, go to the mini fun fair, play crazy golf and other stuff along those lines.

If you want to see the site of the Battle we would have to head out to Battle (a bit north of Hastings itself) but there is a regular train service out there if that is something people would really like to do.

Plus there is jsut meeting all these cool people.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #95
Stalker of Britain

That's okay, I think Louie's a little scared of adventure gamers.

He doesn't play the same games I do, so he feels like he's going to be left out...but too bad, he's coming anyway!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #96
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
That's okay, I think Louie's a little scared of adventure gamers.

He doesn't play the same games I do, so he feels like he's going to be left out...but too bad, he's coming anyway!
Hey, I'll let you in on a little secret:
Spoiler:
Last time we hardly talked about adventure games!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #97
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
hopefully with Mrs Degree and the Third Degree.
That would be so nice to meet your family! Imagine Third Degree becoming the youngest participant of an Adventure Gamer's get-together.
My hubby, Mr J isn't coming along this year (he'll be busy getting the boat in shape for the season), nor my daughter. They both enjoyed meeting all the gamers in Amsterdam though and mind you, they're not into gaming at all. Mr J especially enjoyed tasting Steps home brewed ales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I am reckoning we will be able to get round Hastings on foot fairly easily. There are places to park in the main part of town but it is not ideal for picking up and dropping off over short distances. No canal boat tours on this one but I do have my bespoke walking tour. Depending on the weather and people's preferences on the day we can also look at the castle or the caves, go to the mini fun fair, play crazy golf and other stuff along those lines....

...Plus there is jsut meeting all these cool people.
Walking tour sounds great!
And the obligatory stopping by at a pub (like in Amsterdam) and sit down and chat away. I'll try to fix quiz.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #98
tsa
Playing character

Yes, we need to stop by at a pub. I'll show you all why later. Much later .
Old 11-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #99
Tea & Cookie Monster

Quote:
Cool, welcome to the adventurers Majsan!
Thank you tsa!
I feel like a little kid amongst all you AG veterans!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #100
tsa
Playing character

Hi guys,

Jelena and I are working on a quiz or something that is connected to the nametags I will make. Because May is getting closer fast and I will be 'out' for a few weeks due to personal circumstances I need to know who is coming to Hastings. The list as I can make it from the posts in this thread is as follows. Please correct me if I made a mistake or forgot somebody.

Definitely coming:
Jelena
tsa
Stepurhan
Jazz
Alex
Johannes
Fantasie
Louie
LostQuixote
Majsan
Intense Degree
Mrs. Degree
The Third Degree

Still thinking:
RLacey
Hammy
Lucien
Luna

Please send your updates!

Last edited by tsa; 01-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.