You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Batman Graphic Novel Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default Batman Graphic Novel Recommendations

Are there any members who own or have read any Batman graphic novels?

Thanks to Christopher Nolan's Batman movies and the 2 fantastic games - Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City - I'm thinking of reading some of them; I'd say Batman's also my favorite superhero character too. Trouble is, I'm not sure which ones I should go for. Batman - Year One seems like a good starting point, but I'm not sure where I should go from there.

Anyone have any suggestions? Doesn't Lucien21 collect graphic novels/Batman?

Hope someone responds, because no doubt, like all my threads, this will die on its arse otherwise.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Psychonaut

I have quite a few Batman Graphic Novels in fact.

Best ones out there....

Batman: Dark Knight Returns. - Set in the future, this is a classic from Frank Miller, where Batman comes out of retirement as a darker, broodier, more violent vigilante. Arguable shifted the Batbooks in the 80's to a more gritty style and inspired the nolan movies.

Year One - Another Miller book, with gorgeous art by Mazzacheli. As the title suggests it's a bat origin story as we see Batman as he first decides to fight crime.

The Killing Joke - Alan Moore classic tale of the Batman vs The Joker. Very thin, but packs a punch. It's a really creepy study of how they are connected (Classic joke on the last page as well)

Batman - The long Halloween This and the semi sequel Dark Victory is set after Year one and details his fight against mob Boss Falcone and the Holiday killer. Most known for being Two Face's origin story.

Batman: Hush This one is a love it or hate it book. I personally love it. It features an unknown bad guy who is pulling the strings behind the scenes and setting a lot of known enemies against Batman.

Of course there is also the graphic novel that inspired the first game.

Batman :Arkham Asylum - Batman trapped in Arkham with all the crazy inmates during a hostage situation. This is a trippy psychological look at the character and the history of the asylum. The art is probably not for everyone but it really adds to the book.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
The Quiet One

Ah, thanks for the response, Lucien21!

I did come across those titles whilst I was looking into Year One. I'll be sure to add them to the list.

I have read mixed things about the Arkham Asylum novel because of the artwork. If I do decide to get it it'll probably be left till last. Does the game follow the story pretty closely to the novel? Oh, wait... wasn't the novel written after the game?

I'll keep my eyes open for some of these at the MCM Expo in Birmingham next month, too.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 10-27-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
The Quiet One

Got and currently reading Batman: Year One.

The story it's telling is interesting to follow, along with Bruce and Gordon's struggles, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with the artwork. It's serviceable, but nothing more in my opinion. That's one of the reasons why I much prefer manga compared to Western comics - the artwork is always more detailed and appealing. In my opinion anyway.

I will certainly be getting The Killing Joke next as the artwork looks a lot more detailed and creepy. Plus, I love Batman vs. the Joker. It was also what inspired Tim Burton when he made his Batman movie.

Lucien, do you know which are the best Batman comics that feature the Joker (besides The Killing Joke) and the Riddler?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Psychonaut

Batman: The Man who Laughs is pretty good. It's set after the Killing Joke

or

Joker: Dark Knight - a stand alone GN just about the Joker.

Death in the Family is a big part of the back story with the Joker bumping off the then Robin (late 80's I think)

Riddler is more difficult because there are not a lot of the major stand alone novels deal with him.

Hush has the Riddler in it, as does Arkham Asylum and others.

There was one in the 90's Batman: Riddler and the Riddler Factory, but I have no idea what it's like.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
The Quiet One

Cool. I'll look into them. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
handsome

Do you mind if it's Bruce as the bat? If not you should try Grant Morisson's Batman and Robin, great story\vibe and art (by Frank Quitely).
Name:  batrob1.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  59.3 KB
It's quite a shame Bruce is back cause the Dick and Damien duo was one of the best things to happen to DC in a long time.

Also, don't read the crappy The Dark Knight Returns by F. Miller. People just seem to like it because
Spoiler:
Batman kicks the living shit out of Superman
but for it to happen they've made him really really dumb. And Year One isn't all that great either. Frank Miller stuff isn't worth it.

Definitely read The Killing Joke, i mean, it's from Alan Moore ffs!
If you like Superman there's some cool stories from Alan Moore featuring him too. It's really hard to find a good Batman story since writers tend to dumb down every character around the Bat just to make him look like a badass.

You should try newer Batman stuff (since DC got kind of a "reboot" so newcomers won't have a hard time), especially from Scott Snyder. I haven't read it but keeps getting alot of praise.
Name:  tumblr_lrq1p956XI1qeeerco1_500.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  71.2 KB

Btw Batman: Arkham Asylum inspired the first game in a way that it's set in Arkham Asylum so...yeah. The art sucks and Grant Morisson, awesome as he is, wasn't all that good either.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
The Quiet One

Never been a fan of Superman. The same goes for all the DC and Marvel comics/superheros to be honest. Batman though, is the one true exception. The dark, gothic and violent nature of the series appeals to me. Not to mention Batman's character design, gadgets, him being a detective and all the crazy psychopaths he has to deal with; especially the Joker!

As much as I usually prefer 'originals', I'm not particularly keen on how Batman used to be, though. A bit too camp... I'm happy the series was resurrected for a modern audience and became the dark beast that it is today.

So far, Year One is good, but merely that... It's not as good as I thought it would be. But I'll definitely be getting The Killing Joke next! I reckon I'll appreciate that one. Heck, it's what inspired Tim Burton and Heath Ledger!

I had no idea that someone else takes the role of Batman besides Bruce. But I think I do prefer Bruce as Batman; I'm just more used to him. I even had no idea (thanks to Arkham City) that Dick Grayson, the original Robin, chose to become Nightwing instead, and that other characters took the role of Robin!

What's your opinion on the ones Lucien suggested? Especially The Man Who Laughs? The reviews and artwork look pretty good from what I've seen on amazon at least. Also, what about The Long Halloween?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
handsome

Well, I never read The Man Who Laughs and The Long Halloween is...hum...fun I guess. It isn't anything groundbreaking and the main villain is quite lame in a way but I read the thing when i was about 10 so ya know, everything with violence = fun fun fun.

Lucian is keeping it safe. Suggesting stuff like The Dark Knight Returns and all might be cool for someone already into comics who wants to read the one where Batman officially turned into a gritty mofo but thats all. Nowadays it's nothing but a silly story where and old angry Bruce narrates alot. It's like the movie Citizen Kane, a groundbreaking piece for it's time but now, well, its crap.

Read IGN's list if you want to know more about the comics Lucian suggested (also a safe list, just look at the number one spot): http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/624/624619p1.html

Dick Grayson's Batman is more down to earth, Bruce is more of a superhero-superspy-genius philanthropist who fights aliens at least before the recent reboot. Finding the detective in a dark, gothic and violent Gotham as Bruce will be a bit difficult.

Name:  tumblr_lpt8i3fbvB1r1w9a4o1_500.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  52.9 KB
Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
Psychonaut

Dark Knight Returns is a classic for a reason. Not because it's safe, but because it is a brilliant book.

Personally I think it still stands up today.

The Bat Books have been fine recently. Batman and Robin was decent enough even with the annoying little prick Damien as Robin. However the Batman Incorporated story was a bit pants, then they rebooted.

Detective Comics has been on top with the superb Batwoman storyline (Now traded as Batwoman: Elegy) and then Scott Snyder's Black Mirror run.

After the reboot Snyder switched to the Batman book with Greg Capullo on art and the first two issues have been fantastic.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
handsome

Damian had his reasons for being such a jerk to Dick. And along with all the douchiness came some of the greatest banter in the Bat-Universe between heroes since Bruce and Hal Jordan\Guy Gardner dark vs light thing.
Name:  tumblr_lmq50n79qz1qg79ieo1_500.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  50.6 KB

Ugh, brilliant my ass. From that 80's clichéd view of the future to that unbelievably lame Robin (and the list goes on)... I'm sorry to say mate but your taste in comics suck although liking J. H. Williams's Batwoman (it's his comic, not Rucka's) is definitely a plus.

Now that I think about it, you should try Identity Crisis. It's about JLA as a whole but Batman plays a huge role in it. It's the DC comic that got the atention of many non-comicbook readers since it's easy to follow and it's written by a bestselling book author. It has a pretty f.cked up story and the art is great; it will help you get familiar with the universe if you're interested.

Name:  Identity_Crisis_6B.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  42.8 KB
It's only 7 issues long so download the first 2 or 3 and see if it fits your taste, Gazzoid.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
The Quiet One

I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #13
The Quiet One

Just a heads-up: I bought and finished The Killing Joke and liked it very much (I love the detailed artwork); it's just a shame it's too short. I've just received The Man Who Laughs, which I imported from the States, and will be reading that next. After that, I'll get The Long Halloween...