You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Gamers needed for PhD study - Win Amazon vouchers!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #1

Default Gamers needed for PhD study - Win Amazon vouchers!

Hi everyone,

I’m sure you get requests like this all the time (and this isn’t spam, I promise!) but I’m a psychology PhD student looking for gamers to take part in an online questionnaire I’m running!

I’m trying to provide evidence against the idea that gaming is a solitary activity so it’s mostly focusing on your social experiences and attitudes. It should only take around 20/25 minutes to complete and all completed questionnaires will be entered into a prize draw to win one of five £25 Amazon vouchers (or the equivalent if you’re not in the UK).

Anyone over 18 is able to take part and feel free to pass the link on to anyone else you know who may be interested!

Just follow this link:
https://ww3.unipark.de/uc/The_Team_Tomas/a663/

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or suggestions (my e-mail address is on the first page of the questionnaire)

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

That's really cool. I myself am a psychology undergraduate, and I'm doing a project over video game addiction and personality traits (introverted/extroverted more likely, etc).

Good luck with this, and I'll fill it out, although I do game online a little, I mostly game by myself.

EDIT: I'm curious, in my classes, we've been discourage from trying to "bribe" people with any kind of reward for doing surveys...is there a difference in the PhD program?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 10-06-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #3

That's really interesting, I've just had an article published on something similar. If you'd be interested, drop me a PM and I'll send you a copy!

Hmm, why are you discouraged? Incentives are the only way to get people to do it really!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Stalker of Britain

I would like a copy of the article, which could help in my research.

Oh, and we're discouraged from incentives because it may force people to participate when they wouldn't want to, or to give socially-acceptable answers. I agree with you that incentives can really boost the numbers of people that participate, but for some reason, my college has always frowned upon that. :/ Doesn't matter, I'd like to win an Amazon gift card.

And I finished the survey; it was long but very interesting.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 AM   #5
The Quiet One

I NEVER win anything, but I'll take part in the survey because I, too, want an amazon voucher!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
tsa
Playing character

Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I would like a copy of the article, which could help in my research.

Oh, and we're discouraged from incentives because it may force people to participate when they wouldn't want to, or to give socially-acceptable answers. I agree with you that incentives can really boost the numbers of people that participate, but for some reason, my college has always frowned upon that. :/ Doesn't matter, I'd like to win an Amazon gift card.

And I finished the survey; it was long but very interesting.
I once participated in a study of a certain medicine and I also didn't get any reward because of the reasons you name Fantasie. And the medication made me feel very weird in my head too, so even that didn't work out .

But I will gladly fill in the questionnaire just because I love adventure games.

Off topic: this is the first time Iz type a long text on an iPad and I must say that I like my MacBook Pro even more now .
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Stalker of Britain

tsa-Usually medication-studies do have some incentive, like paying for the pill/any doctor time needed, etc. Just to fill out a paper/online survey, however, is less liekly to have risks.