You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Virus help? -- (I think it's okay now)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default Virus help? -- (I think it's okay now)

I apparently got this malware thingy called Widgi toolbar or whatever, and my virus/adware programs don't find it, so I'll need to manually remove it, I think (because I certainly won't go downloading random "remove widgi" programs either..).

However, aside from obviously removing the program, I (from googling) got the impression that I also need to remove some registry items, but I don't seem to know how to actually access the registry.

So, any help? How do I access the registry, or have I fallen for some sort of double-scam where this actually isn't as big a problem as the pages Google finds makes it seem and if I do all that I'll just do something stupid (most of the articles were ads for this or that "free virus software"...)

(Edit): Well, I remembered how to find the registry, but I'm still not sure what I should do... I removed the folder where it was "stationed" and it's not in the programs list anymore, at least.

(Edit2): Well, the registry files some site mentioned don't actually seem to be there, so... I'm hoping this is solved. Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by UPtimist; 09-04-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #2

I'm guessing you uninstalled the toolbar from Add/Remove, then you want to clean all the registry entries related to it.
Using Regedit (Start>Run, type Regedit) is a bit tricky and you got to know exactly what you are doing, because you can mess up Windows, by deleting something else.
But if you didn't find the entries specified then it's probably ok. Just to be sure you could do an Edit>Find for it in the Hkey Local in your regedit, just in case.

I'll also recommend a little program (also cleans reg entries) that I'm using for over a year now (and I think it will also remove your toolbar if you haven't already) and I am quite ok with it:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

(don't worry it is not like other stupid/ fake software out there,and it helped me often.)

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate me View Post
I'm guessing you uninstalled the toolbar from Add/Remove, then you want to clean all the registry entries related to it.
Using Regedit (Start>Run, type Regedit) is a bit tricky and you got to know exactly what you are doing, because you can mess up Windows, by deleting something else.
But if you didn't find the entries specified then it's probably ok. Just to be sure you could do an Edit>Find for it in the Hkey Local in your regedit, just in case.

I'll also recommend a little program (also cleans reg entries) that I'm using for over a year now (and I think it will also remove your toolbar if you haven't already) and I am quite ok with it:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

(don't worry it is not like other stupid/ fake software out there,and it helped me often.)

Good luck!
Thanks a lot!

I'll check this out when I have the time.

Quote: