You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Beer, the spice of life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu
Default Beer, the spice of life

One of 'em, at least. We need more beer discussions over here.

Traquair Jacobite Ale

I suppose there's quite a few here that's enjoying one of the best things life has to offer - beer. A certain type you prefer? A large stout, perhaps, or is a cold lager on a hot summer day more up your alley? We've all got our favourites.

I think I've found mine. A scottish one. Traquair Jacobite Ale. a rich warm biscuity aroma balanced by hops and a herbal note from the coriander ... a bitter sweet finish with hints of chocolate, winey fruit and coriander, they say. I'm not sure my taste buds are developed enouogh to recognize all those distinct flavours, but That Taste is...awesome...to put it bluntly. Pure bliss. Heaven, bottled at eight percent.

In general, I prefer british and irish and belgian ale. Guinness, Bombardier, Hobgoblin, Spitfire, Newcastle Brown Ale, Kilkenny, Chimay... the list is endless.

When it comes to lager, I really like the Czech beer - Staropramen, Pilsner Urquell, Gambrinus...

edit: correcting geographical incorrections

Last edited by Pappapisshu; 04-13-2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Liver of Life

I don't drink.

No Beer, no Coca Cola, no Orange Juice, no Water. Period.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Well, Shiner Bock. I don't think it can be found everywhere in the US. Their beer rocks. Hey, they have a map...

Figures that for other states they would list the restaurants and mom & pop shops that run their beer, and in Texas they list wholesalers. Well Yanks, tough luck. Considering that it is everywhere in this here greatest state of ours, it is counted among the 'good basic beers'. So it is relatively cheap and quality-wise it is faaaar from the pisswater that fratboys drink. I just refuse to drink cheap beer, I don't have a high opinion about getting drunk, I'm a Eurotrash gourmand. I like it more than Heineken and it is right about in the neighborhood of Sam Adams....

Also and this is a really, really big plus: they have the only radio comercials that do not annoy me. Fancy that.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #4
merely human

Sorry, Pappsie, I'm not a much of a beer drinker.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-10-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Trep, how queer of you.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
merely human

Hmmm, must be the gin.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #7

When I was in Houston on business, I got christened into the Shiner Bock fold. It is pretty good. I've also grown to really like Albino Rhino Pudding Ale. The taste is very unique. I also like Stone IPA.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:55 AM   #8
Headbanger

Carlsberg is deffinately my favourite beer. It's sooooo good.

As a side note I can say that Budweiser must be the worst beer I have ever tasted.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:54 AM   #9
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
In general, I prefer british and belgian ale. Guinness, Bombardier, Hobgoblin, Spitfire, Newcastle Brown Ale, Kilkenny, Chimay... the list is endless.
Guiness and Kilkenny aren't British, since Ireland isn't part of Britain

Personally I'm mostly a lager man, Stella Artois being my favourite.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:23 AM   #10
A Servicable Villain

I don't really do alcohol, and I doubt I'd ever go for beer. After tasting it a week ago again, I can righteously say I profoundly dislike it's bitter tang. I do like a very mild, sweet wine. One that's not too reminiscent of that dreaded taste of alcohol
Old 04-11-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
comfortably numb

What trep said.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:02 AM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

I haven't found a alcoholic drink that I like yet... So beer is under the non-liking alcoholic drinks too!

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 04-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #13
rare groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
I just refuse to drink cheap beer, I don't have a high opinion about getting drunk, I'm a Eurotrash gourmand.
I'm exactly the same way. I can't bring myself to buy those cheap and tasteless beers only to get drunk. Sure, they're two or three times as expensive, but I couldn't care less. I get ten times the experience with the good stuff.

Haven't heard of Shiner Bock before, which really isn't a surprise. The only american beer we usually get over here are Budweiser and Miller. And Samuel Adams, which is a lot better, though.

As a Eurotrash gourmand, do you like any european beer? I don't know how the 'beer culture' is over there, but it can't be that hard to get hold of some fine ale, or something, right?

Quote:
Anything in particular you don't like about it? The (kinda) bitter taste? Beer, in my opinion ale, can often have/show complex variations of flavour. If you're used to "the pisswater that fratboys drink", I'd urge you to try a more expensive, elegant beer next time you hit those Chicago bars - hopefully it'll surprise you with its awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Personally I'm mostly a lager man
And you're supposed to be british?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #14
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Heh, lager is the beer of choice in Britain. We do produce a lot of ales and bitters, but I'd say we sell a lot more lager than those other beers combined.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Anything in particular you don't like about it? The (kinda) bitter taste? Beer, in my opinion ale, can often have/show complex variations of flavour. If you're used to "the pisswater that fratboys drink", I'd urge you to try a more expensive, elegant beer next time you hit those Chicago bars - hopefully it'll surprise you with its awesomeness.
Well no, I actually do like beer, but I'm really more of a cocktail man - martinis, gibsons, Manhattans, Cuba Libres, bourbon & soda, gimlets for summer, white russians for winter. I don't drink much wine, either, but I love a good basic Merlot from time to time. With beer, I love them dark and opaque. If I can't see through the glass at all, the better. And I love Weiss beer (usually with a side shot of Jaegermeister), and beer from micro breweries are very good, like Sierra Nevada. Not at all the frothy urine the frat boys drink to get shitfaced (what do they know? Heh...).

Quote:
...it'll surprise you with its awesomeness.
....obstacleness coursesness
Old 04-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #16
rare groove

White Russian, Cuba Libre. Speaking of bourbon -- whisky.
We should have at least one thread about whiskey as well, it's almost as wonderful as beer.

Weiss beer is also excellent, I particularily like Hoegaarden. Awesome, especially on a hot summer day. Erdinger is good as well.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:49 PM   #17
merely human

If I'm feeling particularly stuck up I'll go for a Dewars & soda. If I'm feeling rather wickedly sexy I get a Bombay Sapphire gibson (make sure to drink a full glass of water b/t each round).

I have no ideas how to discern beers, so I usually stick to imports or basic good domestics (micro breweries, Sam Adam lagers, etc.). I ask the bartender or a friend to recommend things.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #18
rare groove

Quote:
I have no ideas how to discern beers, so I usually stick to imports or basic good domestics (micro breweries, Sam Adam lagers, etc.). I ask the bartender or a friend to recommend things.

What I usually do is first to check if there's someone I haven't tried yet (at my favourite place, I think there's about a hundered that's on my list), if so I have to get that one. It's hard for me to buy one I've already tasted and enjoyed, if there's more out there for me to discover. Unless it's particulary good, like Traquair Jacobite Ale.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #19
merely human

Quote:
What I usually do is first to check if there's someone I haven't tried yet (at my favourite place, I think there's about a hundered that's on my list)....
Someone you haven't tried yet? *GASP* You big whore!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:11 PM   #20
rare groove