You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Let's Have Fun With Music (sounds)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Game Creator Hobbyist

Default Let's Have Fun With Music (sounds)

I think it's time for another fun-and-games thread here!

--

But before I get into the rules for this thread, I'd like to share a bit of history. I very much enjoyed what MoriartyL did in the "three questions thread":

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
…and my answers to that were:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Then, at the 12th of June, Squinky twittered:
Quote:
Just for fun, I recorded myself singing in my congested voice, hitting all those low notes I can't hit normally. http://bit.ly/9x9NgG
I took her recording and replied:
Quote:
… and then I too had some fun: http://bit.ly/94GrfU (It's out of tune and the timing is off, but it's just some fun.)
That's where I got the idea for this thread. History lesson over.

--

So, the idea for this thread is to post sound bits for people to have fun with! To get things started, here's a bass-line. (If you recognise it, it's because it's taken from my game.) Take it, make something and post what you make! Note that what you make doesn't have to be polished. (My quotes above certainly weren't!) The idea is just to have a bit of fun. Or post another seed for people to play with.

Sounds posted to this thread should be made by you. Sounds posted here are allowed to be taken by others to have fun with and post something new here. But they're only for use here. Unless stated otherwise all copyright is kept by the people making the sounds, so if someone get inspired and want to develop something further for use elsewhere, they should ask each participant for permission to use their sounds.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Life and times of...

Ooh, what a wonderful idea, though takes a bit of actual doing. Hope it takes off, and if I had any equipment I'd certainly join in!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I'll try and whip something up when I have some time at home.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
kamikaze hummingbirds

I may well do something with it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
So, the idea for this thread is to post sound bits for people to have fun with! To get things started, here's a bass-line.
http://www.thebuckmans.com/Mory/dragon_thingy.ogg

I wanted to do something on top of a loop of the original file, but the program I use (GoldWave) seems to not do well with the AIFF format so I can't do anything with that audio.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I wanted to do something on top of a loop of the original file, but the program I use (GoldWave) seems to not do well with the AIFF format so I can't do anything with that audio.
I posted it in AIFF to make it easier to use the audio (as it's a lossless format, and - next to Microsoft's WAV - as standard as it gets). I'm slightly surprised that GoldWave doesn't handle it. (But after some reading on Wikipedia, I learn that Apple has made a new version of the format that can cause problems for older programs. That would explain it.) For anyone that want a good audio editor, I recommend Audacity. And as it's free, I also find it a good complement to more advanced programs. (For Mac users, there's also the excellent Garageband. I don't think there's a program better at what it does unless you start looking at professional software.)

I have now uploaded the tuba in Microsoft WAV format for those who prefer that.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #7
Not like them!

http://www.thebuckmans.com/Mory/game.ogg
Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Game Creator Hobbyist

Ooh, a new seed! This means that I'll set up my recording equipment tomorrow and have some fun. (I think I'll be able to put some things I've learned on klezmer jams to use here. )
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
Game Creator Hobbyist

Played a bit with Garageband today (bassoon, cajón and Mory's recording), but I've removed the result from the web. As Mory rightly says below, it was a bit pointless.

Last edited by Trumgottist; 08-02-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Sound files are gone now
Old 08-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Not like them!

Hm. Well, it's.. um, interesting. I was going more for a simple "fill in the blanks" game. What you've done here really doesn't require or benefit from the little bit of audio you took from me, so I'm not sure what the point was.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Game Creator Hobbyist

To fill in the blanks would be too complicated for me. Maybe someone else will give it a try? (Probably not, if we're judging by previous activity in this thread.)
Old 08-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Not like them!

I don't know, it seems like a pretty simple game. I kept the music pretty generic and straightforward so that there would be lots of valid ways to fill it in. It's just a little puzzle. Actually, that was my intent with those original three questions, as well. They were short musical statements, of the sort that would be immediately followed by resolution. So they were questions which could be answered by continuing the music a little bit past the end. But since no one responded that way, maybe it's not obvious to anyone but me that that was what I was going for.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #13
Life and times of...

Quote:
To fill in the blanks would be too complicated for me. Maybe someone else will give it a try? (Probably not, if we're judging by previous activity in this thread.)
It requires quite a lot in terms of techology. I'd love to participate, but I have neither the mic nor the program to record with (and of course the time to do the recording and mixing)