You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Indiana Jones IV: The Curse of the Black Pearl

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 AM   #21

Darabont said his script didn't have any of that "I'm getting too old for this" crap. I'm not sure about the re-write though.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:40 AM   #22
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Yeah, maybe Ole Man Lucas wants to transform Indy into a character he can identify with more. Washed up much, eh?

Though it would be funny to see Sean Connery and Harrison Ford battle it out in wheel chairs. I think Ford would have a significant advantage over Connery with his whip.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:49 AM   #23
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Producer George Lucas was the lone dissenter, because he felt that the character-drive story needed a faster pace to it.
Oh good God...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-06-2004, 02:29 AM   #24

Didn't he want Indy's father to be more like Yoda in the third one. Hopefully Speilberg will fix it.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:40 AM   #25

Quote:
A 60 year old Indiana Jones swinging on ropes and escaping from Nazis?
Like I said, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they went for a digital younger Indy, partially mocapped by Ford.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:16 AM   #26
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Like I said, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they went for a digital younger Indy, partially mocapped by Ford.
No, no, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Producer George Lucas was the lone dissenter, because he felt that the character-drive story needed a faster pace to it.
No, no, no, no, no, no
Old 04-06-2004, 06:36 AM   #27

Quote:
No, no, no
I can see where you're coming from with that, but if you look at the difference between Final Fantasy and Gollum I think you'll agree digital characters have come a long way. The key thing with Gollum was that there was one single great actor driving the performance and an army of of talented animators to complement and amplify it. With Spirits Within they had a bunch of nameless mocap actors... and animators that were more interested in making Aki's hair look like a shampoo ad than in making a compelling performance.

Since they have Ford I think they might actually be able to pull it off convincingly. Frankly, I'd rather see a near perfect digital Indy, than Ford pretending he's still 30. Now, if they do a completely different type of story with an older Indy trying to relive the old days, that would be cool, but if they're going for the style of the trilogy they have to either cast someone else, or resort to digital trickery.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:54 AM   #28
Escaped Monkey Island

can't they make him look young agian with makeup and computers and snazzy stuff like that?? i mean come on, they made frodo baggins 3 feet tall with hairy feet.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:24 AM   #29
Headbanger

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from with that, but if you look at the difference between Final Fantasy and Gollum I think you'll agree digital characters have come a long way. The key thing with Gollum was that there was one single great actor driving the performance and an army of of talented animators to complement and amplify it. With Spirits Within they had a bunch of nameless mocap actors... and animators that were more interested in making Aki's hair look like a shampoo ad than in making a compelling performance.

Since they have Ford I think they might actually be able to pull it off convincingly. Frankly, I'd rather see a near perfect digital Indy, than Ford pretending he's still 30. Now, if they do a completely different type of story with an older Indy trying to relive the old days, that would be cool, but if they're going for the style of the trilogy they have to either cast someone else, or resort to digital trickery.
Well Frank Marshall (one of the producers) has said that they won't use any computer graphics in the new Indy movie. I think that is great. I do think you shouldn't rule out computers totally though, but I think they will see for themselves if they really need it or not. I belive that you should do as much as you can without the use of computer graphics (the LOTR movies is the best examples where they knew where to use it and where to skip it). So this statement was a big relief for me cause now there is a smaller chance the movie will turn out like the remakes of the Mummy and the new Star Wars movies.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:50 AM   #30

Hm.. in that case I'm really wondering how they're going to deal with Ford's age. Makeup can do a lot of things, but I very much doubt they'd be able to turn a 50-60 (?) year old into a 30 year old. Even if they manage to get the look generally right, he would move 'old'. No way can he match the agile Indy of the trilogy.

I totally agree with you that CG should be used sparingly. It can be used to amazing effect and for things that would be impossible to do convincingly otherwise, but there's a time and a place. As you point out, Jackson knew where to use it and where not to use it... Lucas just used it everywhere.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:07 PM   #31
Tell me This is It

theraider.net has a response to the age question in one of its FAQs:

Isn't Harrison Ford too old to play Indiana Jones again?

No! How could you think that?! Here's a quote from Harrison Ford himself (dated from November 2002) that says it all:

"What astonishes me," Harrison Ford says, "is that people can't imagine Indiana Jones aging at all. Why expect any character to be frozen in time? The appeal of Indiana Jones isn't his youth but his imagination, his resourcefulness...His physicality is a big part of it, especially in the way he gets out of tight situations. But it's not all hitting people and falling from high places. My ambition in action is to have the audience look straight into the face of a character and not at the back of a capable stuntman's head. I hope to continue to do that, no matter how old I get."

I guess going along with this, I would say that Indy has never been invisible. Just extremely lucky. He's been hurt before, like in the Raiders of the Lost Ark, and he winces in pain. I suppose Indy will just be wincing a lot more if he's asked to put that aging body back into gear. The point that it would become ridiculous for me is if the audience is wincing too.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 PM   #32

I guess we can only wait and see.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #33
Tell me This is It

Quote:
I guess we can only wait and see.
Yeah, wait two years.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #34

Cool. Check out the new LucasFilm.com.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Cool. Check out the new LucasFilm.com.
They have Max on their main page
Old 04-21-2004, 01:42 PM   #36

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/21/film.spielberg.reut/index.html

I guess Indiana Jones is not Spielberg's next project any more.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:16 PM   #37
Tell me This is It

There's some new news on the Indy movie. Hopefully this new guy can revise the script in such a way that Lucas is happy. ANYTHING to get this movie made.

http://www.theraider.net/newsarchive...04_october.php