You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Latest Books Bought

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #61
Psychonaut

Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #62
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Color Bleach+: Bleach Official Bootleg, a hilarious compilation of colour 4-panel omake gag manga featuring the Bleach cast, followed by profiles of each of the 13 shinigami/soul reaper squads and other random silliness. A nice companion to the Bleach SOULs databook, which I bought a few months ago.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #63
kamikaze hummingbirds

Neuromancer by William Gibson

and

How I Escaped My Certain Fate: The Life and Deaths of a Stand-Up Comedian by Stewart Lee

Happy reading!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:46 AM   #64

The Walking Dead! Nice, Lucien

I got up to... issue 29. Pretty twisted around that part, been meaning to buy the following issues though...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #65
The Quiet One

Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #66
Pixiehunter

Last weekend I went on a book-shopping spree, and got myself:
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy (by J.R.R. Tolkien, but you all know that )
- Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, by Gregory Maguire (I recently discovered the musical Wicked, and got so hooked to it that I just have to read this book )
- The Pillars of Earth, by Ken Follett
- Dead until Dark, by Charlaine Harris
- Living Dead in Dallas, by Charlaine Harris
- Club Dead, by Charlaine Harris
(Those last three are the books the TV series True Blood is based on, which I'm also hooked to )

That's what you get from saving up years of book vouchers: I ended up only paying 20 cent cash, simply because there exists no such thing as a 20 cent voucher
Old 10-06-2010, 03:54 AM   #67
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Old 10-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #68
The Quiet One

Yet more manga...

I should buy some more novels to be honest.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #69
The Quiet One

To be fair, that Lord of the Rings box set I bought not long ago was unsatisfying (not the story, though ). The look of the box and the front covers of the books were so boring.

Proof:

However, I found just what I was looking for:

The pictures on the box, the front covers, the inclusion of The Hobbit (as my book needs replacing), and art work to accompany the story throughout - drawn by Alan Lee - make this box set at winner!

I sold my other one on eBay and swiped this one up.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #70
The Quiet One

Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #71
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I bought "Garou" the sequel to "Glennkill" (" Three Bags Full" in English. It's a Murder Mystery featuring Sheep. Garou is a Thriller featuring Sheep) a few weeks ago.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #72
The Quiet One

...Resurrecting an old thread because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
Manga, manga and more manga!

From the dealers' room at the Anime North convention the previous weekend (mostly to complete some series):
One Piece v. 17-28
Shaman King v. 1-12
O-Parts Hunter (a.k.a 666 Satan) v. 18
20th Century Boys v. 4
Sand Land
Fushigi Yugi v. 14

Last week, from the comic store:
One Piece v. 49-53
Naruto v. 48
Bleach v. 31
Inuyasha v. 48
20th Century Boys v. 8
Hôshin Engi v. 19

Unfortunately, I collect manga volumes faster than I can read them, so I have like, over 200 unread volumes on my shelf!
...I've just noticed you listed 20th Century Boys, Trunk. Are you still reading it or have you finished it or...? I'm currently reading the series myself; I started it sometime last year after finishing Monster (also by Naoki Urasawa), but I've only completed 3 volumes so far. I've got a long ways to go before reaching the end yet...
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #73
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I've only read up to volume 6 of 20th Century Boys... With all of the other titles I'm collecting, it sort of took a backseat to other series. The English-language release by Viz Media is currently up to volume 18 but should be finished by December with volume 2 of 21st Century Boys (hmm, December 2012, quite fitting, don't you think??? ) Assuming the End doesn't occur by then, I'll probably wait until I collect the whole series before resuming with volume 7. I've seen the first live-action movie and it follows the manga pretty closely.

(I just realized, what's scary is the fact that even after a year-and-a-half since I posted that list, I still have about 200 unread volumes! )
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #74
In an evening of July...

Jordan Mechner's The Making of Prince of Persia. An insight into the mind of one of the greatest game developers, and it's also a lot of fun to read. Looking forward to "The Making of The Last Express", which I hope will happen some day.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #75
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
I've only read up to volume 6 of 20th Century Boys... With all of the other titles I'm collecting, it sort of took a backseat to other series.
I can relate. I don't have loads of series at the go, but some series do tend to take a bit of a backseat once I start focusing on another one; it's very easy to get sidetracked.

Quote:
The English-language release by Viz Media is currently up to volume 18 but should be finished by December with volume 2 of 21st Century Boys (hmm, December 2012, quite fitting, don't you think??? )
I have all volumes added to my 'Wish List' on amazon... According to amazon (UK and US), volume 22 should be out around 7 August...

Have Viz confirmed they're publishing 21st Century Boys? If they are, I didn't know. I'll probably be halfway through 20th... by the time they're released.

Quote:
Assuming the End doesn't occur by then, I'll probably wait until I collect the whole series before resuming with volume 7.
To be honest, I wish more publishers would release box sets once they've finished with a series. Trouble is with 20th... there are that many volumes, a box set would be very expensive! Not only that, but it would probably only get a limited release.

Quote:
I've seen the first live-action movie and it follows the manga pretty closely.
I've read the movies have received some flak... I'll still check them out though, but after I've finished the manga. I'm surprised an anime series hasn't been done; one was done for Monster.

Quote:
(I just realized, what's scary is the fact that even after a year-and-a-half since I posted that list, I still have about 200 unread volumes! )
Whoa!! You must have quite the collection! I only have about 2 shelves full...

@kuze:

I wasn't expecting anyone else to contribute to the thread - apart from my question(s) to Trunk, I thought this thread was long dead?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #76
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
@kuze:

I wasn't expecting anyone else to contribute to the thread - apart from my question(s) to Trunk, I thought this thread was long dead?
It came up in "new posts", and I just happened to read something I thought other forumites might be interested in.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #77
handsome

Thank god for Gazzoid's manga addiction or else I wouldn't be aware of this beautiful thread.

Name:  imag1250.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  47.0 KBName:  thespo0122.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  40.9 KB
Name:  imag1222.jpg
Size:  55.5 KBName:  imag1240.jpg
Size:  15.9 KB

Ha! nice (random) order, the 1st 2 side by side: totally apollonian and dionysian .
Almost finished reading them all 'cept Dawkins' cause that one's a beast but I'll prolly leave Supergods for last since I've reached a spoilery part about his Animal Man -- still need to read the last few issues. The other two, well, it's Blake and Linerbarger, the true supergods.

Indeed, I'm loving them all.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #78
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
It came up in "new posts", and I just happened to read something I thought other forumites might be interested in.
Fair comment... Though apart from the regulars, I don't think a lot of forumites check the Chit-Chat section much. The post/books would probably get more recognition in the 'Adventure' or 'General' section. But hey... I don't want to dissuade folk from posting if it means the threads I make stay alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Thank god for Gazzoid's manga addiction...
A geek's gotta have a hobby... And you're never gonna let my old username rest, are you?

Quote:
...or else I wouldn't be aware of this beautiful thread.
Thanks for the compliment! I think I've got something in my eye...
Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #79
Filmfreak

Hey, I didn't know this thread existed (granted, I didn't really search for it), but here goes: last month I bought this:

Had already read the 2-colour edition of the Dutch translation (thanks to a friend of mine who recommended this some 10 years ago and the local library).
Stumbled upon the full-colour edition when in London last month. The original language AND above all: the full-colour edition. I couldn't resist.
The book is just too good...
Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #80
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Hey, I didn't know this thread existed (granted, I didn't really search for it), but here goes: last month I bought this:

Had already read the 2-colour edition of the Dutch translation (thanks to a friend of mine who recommended this some 10 years ago and the local library).
Stumbled upon the full-colour edition when in London last month. The original language AND above all: the full-colour edition. I couldn't resist.
The book is just too good...
I know we've talked about this in the 'Three Questions' thread, but massive kudos again to you.

On a similar note, have you read any Thomas Pynchon? Might be up your alley, if you don't mind a (sometimes frustrating) challenge.