You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 04:57 PM   #21

I'd choose Cornell.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:07 PM   #22
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
I'd choose Cornell.
Oh, so you think Tim Schafer's school isn't good enough, huh?! I'll just let Tim know about that, since he is clearly my close personal friend.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-02-2004, 05:10 PM   #23
Least used avatar ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Man, am I the only one going to Berkeley who actually WANTED to or what?
Heh, well, I was excited to go to Berkeley regardless of what my other choices were. But so many things ended up not falling into place for me here, and the positiveness/negativeness of your experience at Berkeley can hinge greatly on how well you click in. The bureaucracy here is ridiculous, and it only gets worse over time.

I don't want to scare anyone away from Berkeley. Plenty of people have terrific experiences here, and the city is, well, not like any other. But I do think it's fair warning to say that the college experience for many at Berkeley is about as far from straightforward as possible. Note that you will have a high probability of graduating after 5 years, not getting into your intended major (for impacted majors), and so on. Huge classes are a drag.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #24

Even awesome people can come out of stupid universities.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:57 PM   #25
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Don't forget that UC Berkeley is home of Tim Schafer. Where would your precious mural be without HIM, huh?!
Schafer also went to UC Santa Cruz, before transferring.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #26
Liver of Life

Quote:
Even awesome people can come out of stupid universities.
And vice-versa. :|

Thanks for all the advice guys. Cornell does indeed have some good stuff going for it, but the thing is it's a 100 times as far away from home as Berkeley is and it's twice as expensive. I actually prefer the former, but don't think my parents do. On the other hand, the money too may be taken care of if the financial aid offer is reasonable.

It all whittles down to the question of where can I get a better education for what I'm interested in. That too isn't such a serious question. So one department may be 6th best and the other 8th best. And another department may be 3rd best and yet another 4th best. Big deal.

So really what it all whittles down to is, where might I have the better experience. That I am unsure about. While I may not go all the way to New York to visit Cornell, I'll probably visit Berkeley over spring break or sometime soon, and we'll see how it goes.

Remixor: I'm happy you wanted to go to Berkeley and that's where you did go. I wish I could say the same for myself. I'm sure this phase will cease, and once all the evidence is destroyed, in the future (say three years from now) Berkeley (or Cornell) will have been my first choice.
I'm sure that's how it is with most people. Not everyone goes to their first choice school, but a lot of people end up enjoying the hec out of wherever it is they do go. That is what I intend to do.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Schafer also went to UC Santa Cruz, before transferring.
And SC is awesome too, but it wasn't a subject of the discussion.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-02-2004, 06:31 PM   #28
merely human

Quote:
And SC is awesome too, but it wasn't a subject of the discussion.
obstacle courses
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-02-2004, 06:35 PM   #29
Least used avatar ever

Kode, what *are* you interested in? All of us Berkeley dudes can likely give you some inside info on whatever department you'd be in, and so on. Also, I know someone who went to Cornell as an undergrad, so I can possibly offer some info there as well.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #30
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I hate this thread. It is making me self-conscious.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
And vice-versa. :|
That's true, I suppose.

Where would you prefer to be? New York or California. Also are you a republican or a conservative? Doesn't Berkeley have a liberal reputation.

Last edited by SerialFreak; 04-02-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:57 AM   #32

My sis went to Berkeley and definitely enjoyed her experience. Strangely enough, she also really wanted to go to Cornell (and was accepted), but our parents decided they didn't want her in New York. I went to Santa Barbara myself and am glad I did.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:28 AM   #33

Quote:
That's true, I suppose.

Where would you prefer to be? New York or California. Also are you a republican or a conservative? Doesn't Berkeley have a liberal reputation.
UC Berkeley is a liberal campus in general, but it's not the Berkeley of the 60s. There's a very strong conservative presence here as well. The town of Berkeley itself, however, is extremely liberal.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:18 AM   #34

Well, in deciding such things, what I look at first (or next to first) is the weather. Thus I would choose Berkeley.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #35
Mostly absent

Congrats, Kode!

Wherever you will end up I wish you good luck.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:18 PM   #36
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
Well, in deciding such things, what I look at first (or next to first) is the weather. Thus I would choose Berkeley.
Yeah, plus anyone who's finished Runaway knows that Berkeley is a nice idyllic pasture town directly next to San Francisco
Old 04-04-2004, 05:29 PM   #37
Least used avatar ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Yeah, plus anyone who's finished Runaway knows that Berkeley is a nice idyllic pasture town directly next to San Francisco
Rotfl!

Yeah, that was certainly an interesting 'discovery'.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:43 PM   #38

Runaway also taught me that an alternate name for my school is the "University of Berkeley"...

Old 04-04-2004, 05:53 PM   #39
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Runaway also taught me that an alternate name for my school is the "University of Berkeley"...
I think this would best be suited in mycroft's thread about accuracy in games.