You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Social experiences in gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #1

Default Social experiences in gaming

If anyone wishes to help me with some gaming research I am doing, then please PM me and I will send you details and the link to my online questionnaire. I am reluctant to post the link on the actual message boards as people might think I'm spamming!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Yasdnil
Old 03-08-2010, 02:30 AM   #2

Thank-you to those people who have contacted me and completed my questionnaire. The link is still open if anyone else wishes to help out.
Thank-you
Old 03-30-2010, 06:12 AM   #3

Any final takers? I will be closing the questionnaire soon, so any final takers would be greatly appreciated.

PM me for details.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #4

The questionnaire has now closed. Once again, I would like to thank you for your time and interest in my research. I will be returning at some point over the next fews weeks to let you know my main findings.
Bye for now.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #5

As promised, I'm back to share my findings with you lovely people who have taken part in my research.

Aims
My study aimed to look at the influence of flow (positive feelings during gaming) on mood after playing videogames. Also, to see the differences in flow and mood between solo and social gaming experiences.I also wanted to look at the role of competitiveness and aspects of aggression on gaming experiences and mood after game-play.

Findings
Positive flow was positively linked to positive mood after game-play in both solo and social gaming experiences. Also, social gaming experiences resulted in higher positive mood following gameplay compared to solo experiences. This suggests gaming to be a highly enjoyable experience but playing with others as opposed to alone leads to heightened perceptions of positive mood after gameplay.

There were no differences in experiences of flow between solo and social experiences and no differences in negative mood following gameplay between the two experiences.

When comparing competitive versus cooperative gameplay and online versus offline contexts, there were no differences in experiences of flow during play, or positive or negative mood after gameplay. (I want to look at this a bit more closely for the future because I think expereinces between these can actually be different and so maybe if I do the study in a different way, I might find something else.....)

Competitiveness was positively related to flow and positive mood for social gaming experiences but not for solo ones. It is also noteworthy that competitiveness did not show to be related to negative mood in neither solo nor social gaming experiences. This suggests competitiveness to be a positive part of the gaming experience, in particular for social gaming.

Those are pretty much the main findings. My future research plans are to do some more focus groups or interviews with gamers to look at any differences in online versus offline gaming experiences because this hasn't really been studied before.

If any of you have any ideas/suggestions you think would be interesting to research, I would be very happy to hear them.

Thank-you once again for your help and support in my research.
Kind regards,
Yasdnil