You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Today's youth spells badly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default Today's youth spells badly

Today I found an interesting article on the Web about the bad spelling of many University students. The spelling skills of many of them are so bad they have to be taught proper English in order to be able to write passable reports, essays, etcetera. Many say SMS, Facebook and the like are to blame for this. Others say people don't get taught proper spelling in high school anymore. What do you think? Is this a big problem in your country, and why/why not?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Yes, I have that problem. I can't spell to save my life, which is why Spell Check is a lifesaver. I don't think it's Facebook, at least with me, because I try to write in complete sentences, etc on there. I was never good at spelling in school, and we didn't really linger on it.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
tsa
Playing character

Here in the Netherlands we have the same problem. Some of the people who leave primary school can not read or write at all, allegedly. The math skills of many students are also pretty bad here.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'm fine at spelling!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I already lamented this in another thread long ago.

I was part of a team working in a different department at the university a few years ago, typing into a database the handwritten comments made by students for their course and instructor evaluations at the end of each term.

I was floored by the poor spelling and grammar of some students (not to mention the atrocious handwriting). What was frightening was the fact that some of the students were English, Writing or Education majors!

The problem with students relying too much on Spell Check for essays and term papers is that a certain word might be spelled correctly... however, they're using the wrong word.

The one error that always made me chuckle was "intense" vs. "intensive" (i.e. a lot of course material to learn in a short time). Whenever a student wrote "This course is too intense", I would imagine the professor angrily shouting at the class (probably about their bad spelling and grammar)!

I don't think grammar, spelling, handwriting and writing style are as important as they were decades ago. My younger cousin always asked me for help with his essays (usually with grammar and style, luckily he was a good speller ), since even he admitted none of his teachers really taught him essay-writing skills.

The stepdaughter of a friend of mine is entering high school next year and she doesn't know her multiplication tables and can't tell time on an analog clock! Ugh. Guess who volunteered to be her math tutor???

Last edited by Trunkyo; 02-01-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie
I'm fine at spelling!
Yes, but I bet you know quite a few people who aren't.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
The Quiet One

I'm also fine at spelling. At least... in my opinion. As far as I know, anway. ()

If I'm unsure about certain words, or I feel that I've written a word incorrectly, I'll check Word's spell checker or use Google. I always make sure, before posting in forums for example, that my words are spelt correctly, my sentences sound right and everything's neat and to my satisfactory. I know of a LOT of people that don't bother doing that. Especially when it comes to texting and facebook. I can't stand heavy use of text and internet slang. Teenagers are notorious for overusing slang. I may use a teeney tiny bit of slang when texting, when I text at all, but only because you're limited to how many characters you can use. But I certainly don't overdo it. I prefer to write properly.

I never had any problems with English in school - spelling, writing, speech - then and now. I'm quite a neat writer, so a lot of people have told me, I used to love writing stories and got good marks for them, and I've been told that I'm articulate.

Mathematics, on the other hand...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Today's youth spells badly
I find that grammatical mistake ironic. I can't lie.

I'm pretty meh about spelling, myself. Words are malleable.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
I'm fine at spelling!
I was meant to write 'I'm shit at spelling', but I spelt 'shit' wrong.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Second Degree Black Belt

I'm not very good at spelling....... especially if there are two forms of the word...... like "where or were" "your or you're" I have to concentrate to make sure that I get it right, but even then I make mistakes......... but I have always been a poor speller. All I can say is I try and I hope that its not so bad that you can't understnad me

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
Life and times of...

Here's the usual: in the forums and whatnot, you can usually tell who's a native English speaker and who's foreign by looking at who makes the most mistakes. That one is then the English speaker.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #12

I'm ridiculously anal about spelling things correctly. I've even joked sometimes about status jumping on FB and correcting everyone's mistakes. Horrible at grammar, though. Can't properly place a comma to save my life.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Stalker of Britain

I'm almost exactly the opposite. I can't spell to save my life, but I love trying to be grammatically correct, with commas and everything.

And I'm also horrible at math.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Here's the usual: in the forums and whatnot, you can usually tell who's a native English speaker and who's foreign by looking at who makes the most mistakes. That one is then the English speaker.
Here it's actually not so bad, but on Slashdot I spell better than many native speakers.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
tsa
Playing character

But what I really want to know from you is not wether you can spell or not, but if badly spelling students are a problem at the universities in your country, and if so, what you think the cause of that is, and if not, why you don't have the problem in your country. We now know there is a problem in America and the Netherlands. But what about Germany, Sweden, Finland, and all the other countries in the world?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I'm almost exactly the opposite. I can't spell to save my life, but I love trying to be grammatically correct, with commas and everything.

And I'm also horrible at math.
I'm the same..... a bad speller, and bad at math.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
kamikaze hummingbirds

Maths.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Mathematics is shortened to "math" instead of "maths" in North America, Hammy. And "tutoring" is used instead of "tuition" in the sense of extra help with schoolwork and studies. Pardon me while I consult my English-English dictionary some more.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #19
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

You people know I am the local Grammar Nazi...and probably now also Spelling Nazi, since Neike hasn't been around lately. Though I am the nice kind. Not only in English, but also in German. I tend to correct people when it's not too much of a disruption or too rude. One example is "make sense" that is rapidly being adapted in the German language, though it doesn't "make sense" in it. The correct German term would be "Es ergibt Sinn" (which you could translate as "It computes" ^^ ). Or the difference between "das Selbe" und "das Gleiche" (basically they both mean "the same". But you can wear "das gleiche" shirt as a person, meaning they are identical, but you can't wear "das selbe" shirt, meaning the exact same object.).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
Life and times of...

Is the use of commas a part of grammar?

Jaz: by "local" do you mean here in the forums or there where you live? Because I always thought that here it's Lacey who's the ruling grammar etc. nazi.

I on the other hand am known within friends & co. as an overzealous corrector of English pronounciation and grammar.

Some don't take kindly to that