You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Honesty Virus - you ARE what you post?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
merely human

Default The Honesty Virus - you ARE what you post?

The Honesty Virus
When online, we are oddly prone to telling the truth. The problem is the rest of our interactions

Quote:
Psychologists have noticed for years that going online seems to have a catalytic effect on people's personalities. The most quiet and reserved people may become deranged loudmouths when they sit behind the keyboard, staying up until dawn and conducting angry debates on discussion boards with total strangers. You can usually spot the newbies in any discussion group because they're the ones WRITING IN ALL CAPS -- they're tripped out on the Internet's heady combination of geographic distance and pseudo-invisibility.

One group of psychologists found that heated arguments -- so-called flame-war fights, admittedly a rather fuzzy category -- were far more common in online discussion boards than in comparable face-to-face communications. Another researcher, an Open University U.K. psychologist named Adam Joinson, conducted an experiment in which his subjects chatted online and off. He found that when people communicated online, they were more likely to offer up personal details about themselves without any prompting. Joinson also notes that the Samaritans, a British crisis-line organization, has found that 50 percent of those who write in via e-mail express suicidal feelings, compared with only 20 percent of those who call in. This isn't because Net users are more suicidally depressed than people offline. It's just that they're more comfortable talking about it -- ''disinhibited,'' as the mental-health profession would say.
Full article, The New York Times online (free registration required)

Hmmm......fascinating! So umm, how 'disinhibited' are we, people? Hmmmm?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-22-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

This one time when I was five years old I went for a walk in the park. I saw many people, and then I fell. I cried a little, and went home.

Wasn't that an interesting story? AND IF YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT YOU ARE A BUNCH OF ASSTARD SHITPANTSES!!!!111
Old 03-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
merely human

Bitch.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
n00b on board

I have no reason to lie seeing how I m very open in real life i don't much care and I don't talki n all caps, cmon, im okay why do I feel singled out like this whole thing is directed at me?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
merely human

Probably because someone found your info in the Sam&Max fan phonebook and decided to research you.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #6
n00b on board

fu****g federalis! 8-)
Old 03-22-2004, 06:07 PM   #7
JLC

Send a message via ICQ to GreenJeanz Send a message via AIM to GreenJeanz Send a message via MSN to GreenJeanz Send a message via Yahoo to GreenJeanz

I talk the same in real life like I do here. hee.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
Liver of Life

Like GJ, I'm sort of similar both online and offline.

I'm generally more reserved offline; but I wouldn't say I'm the opposite out here.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
Iconoclast

I'm much nicer online than in real life.

I would never bother to register to read anything so I can't read the entire article, but from the snippets you have posted, it seems like a very lopsided view.

People use anonymity just as frequently to lie and distort themselves as they do to reveal their inner secrets. I see teenagers claiming to bench press weights that would be world records all the time. Also, most women in chat rooms are really men, and the young teenage girls are FBI agents.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #10
merely human

It's 2 pages long in its original online format.

Everyone tells a little white lie now and then. But a Cornell professor recently claimed to have established the truth of a curious proposition: We fib less frequently when we're online than when we're talking in person. Jeffrey Hancock asked 30 of his undergraduates to record all of their communications -- and all of their lies -- over the course of a week. When he tallied the results, he found that the students had mishandled the truth in about one-quarter of all face-to-face conversations, and in a whopping 37 percent of phone calls. But when they went into cyberspace, they turned into Boy Scouts: only 1 in 5 instant-messaging chats contained a lie, and barely 14 percent of e-mail messages were dishonest.

Obviously, you can't make sweeping generalizations about society on the basis of college students' behavior. (And there's also something rather odd about asking people to be honest about how often they lie.) But still, Hancock's results were intriguing, not least because they upend some of our primary expectations about life on the Net.

Wasn't cyberspace supposed to be the scary zone where you couldn't trust anyone? Back when the Internet first came to Main Street, pundits worried that the digital age would open the floodgates of deception. Since anyone could hide behind an anonymous Hotmail address or chat-room moniker, Net users, we were warned, would be free to lie with impunity. Parents panicked and frantically cordoned off cyberspace from their children, under the assumption that anyone lurking out there in the ether was a creep until proved otherwise. And to a certain extent, the fear seemed justified. According to Psych 101, we're more likely to lie to people when there's distance between us -- and you can't get much more distant than a hot-chat buddy in Siberia who calls himself 0minous-1.

Why were those fears unfounded? What it is about online life that makes us more truthful? It's simple: We're worried about being busted. In ''real'' life, after all, it's actually pretty easy to get away with spin. If you tell a lie to someone at a cocktail party or on the phone, you can always backtrack later and claim you said no such thing. There's probably no one recording the conversation, unless you're talking to Linda Tripp (in which case you've clearly got other problems).

On the Internet, though, your words often come back to haunt you. The digital age is tough on its liars, as a seemingly endless parade of executives are learning to their chagrin. Today's titans of industry are laid low not by ruthless competitors but by prosecutors gleefully waving transcripts of old e-mail, filled with suggestions of subterfuge. Even Microsoft was tripped up by old e-mail messages, and you would figure its employees would know better. This isn't a problem for only corporate barons. We all read the headlines; we know that in cyberspace our words never die, because machines don't forget. ''It's a cut-and-paste culture,'' as Hancock put it (though he told me that on the phone, so who knows? There's only a 63 percent chance he really meant it).

Indeed, the axiom that machines never forget is built into the very format of e-mail -- consider that many e-mail programs automatically ''quote'' your words when someone replies to your message. Every day, my incoming

e-mail reminds me of the very words I wrote yesterday, last week or even months ago. It's as if the gotcha politics of Washington were being brought to bear on our everyday lives. Every time I finish an e-mail message, I pause for a few seconds to reread it before I hit ''send'' just to make sure I haven't said something I'll later regret. It's as if I'm constantly awaiting the subpoena. And it's not only e-mail that records our deeds for future scrutiny. Before going on a first date, people Google their partners to see what they can learn. Mobile phones take photographs. The other day I saw an ad promoting the world's first ''terabyte'' hard drive for consumers' use: it can store two years' worth of continuous music, or about 200 million pieces of average-size e-mail. In a couple of years, that sort of hardware will be standard issue in even the cheapest Dell computer. We are facing an age in which virtually nothing will be forgotten.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:36 PM   #11
merely human

Maybe this helps explain why television programs like ''C.S.I.'' have become so popular. They're all about revealing the sneaky things that people do. We watch with fascination and unease as scientists inspect the tiniest of clues -- a stray hair on a car seat, a latent fingerprint on a CD-ROM. After you've seen high-tech cops rake over evidence from a crime scene with ultraviolet light and luminol and genetic sequencers enough times, you get the message: Watch out, punk. We've got files on you. Forensic science has become the central drama of pop culture, and its popularity may well increase our anxieties about technology. So no wonder we're so careful to restrict our lying to low-fi environments. We have begun to behave like mobsters, keenly suspicious of places that might be bugged, conducting all of our subterfuge in loud restaurants and lonely parks, where we can meet one on one.

Still, it's not only the fear of electronic exposure that drives us to tell the truth. There's something about the Internet that encourages us to spill our guts, often in rather outrageous ways. Psychologists have noticed for years that going online seems to have a catalytic effect on people's personalities. The most quiet and reserved people may become deranged loudmouths when they sit behind the keyboard, staying up until dawn and conducting angry debates on discussion boards with total strangers. You can usually spot the newbies in any discussion group because they're the ones WRITING IN ALL CAPS -- they're tripped out on the Internet's heady combination of geographic distance and pseudo-invisibility.

One group of psychologists found that heated arguments -- so-called flame-war fights, admittedly a rather fuzzy category -- were far more common in online discussion boards than in comparable face-to-face communications. Another researcher, an Open University U.K. psychologist named Adam Joinson, conducted an experiment in which his subjects chatted online and off. He found that when people communicated online, they were more likely to offer up personal details about themselves without any prompting. Joinson also notes that the Samaritans, a British crisis-line organization, has found that 50 percent of those who write in via e-mail express suicidal feelings, compared with only 20 percent of those who call in. This isn't because Net users are more suicidally depressed than people offline. It's just that they're more comfortable talking about it -- ''disinhibited,'' as the mental-health profession would say.

Who knew? When the government created the Internet 30 years ago, it thought it was building a military tool. The Net was supposed to help the nation survive a nuclear attack. Instead, it has become a vast arena for collective therapy -- for a mass outpouring of what we're thinking and feeling. I spend about an hour every day visiting blogs, those lippy Web sites where everyone wants to be a pundit and a memoirist. (Then I spend another hour writing my own blog and adding to the cacophony.) Stripped of our bodies, it seems, we become creatures of pure opinion.

Our impulse to confess via cyberspace inverts much of what we think about honesty. It used to be that if you wanted to know someone -- to really know and trust them -- you arranged a face-to-face meeting. Our culture still fetishizes physical contact, the shaking of hands, the lubricating chitchat. Executives and politicians spend hours flying across the country merely for a five-minute meeting, on the assumption that even a few seconds of face time can cut through the prevarications of letters and legal contracts. Remember when George W. Bush first met Vladimir Putin, gazed into his eyes and said he could trust him because he'd acquired ''a sense of his soul''?

So much for that. If Bush really wanted the straight goods, he should have met the guy in an AOL chat room. And maybe, in the long run, that's the gratifying news. As more and more of our daily life moves online, we could find ourselves living in an increasingly honest world, or at least one in which lies have ever more serious consequences. Bush himself can't put old statements about W.M.D. behind him partly because so many people are forwarding his old speeches around on e-mail or posting them on Web sites. With its unforgiving machine memory, the Internet might turn out to be the unlikely conscience of the world.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
n00b on board

SOrry, Intreped, but what yo have posted earlier is just a small and unimportant bit o f the whole artivle, whch doies say some more interesting thing.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #13
merely human

Well, apparently some people prefer not to register to NYT to get it.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #14
n00b on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, apparently some people prefer not to register to NYT to get it.
Bah, screw that yank bulls**t, they don't know squat, this is all you need.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:45 PM   #15
Iconoclast

Quote:
We fib less frequently when we're online than when we're talking in person. Jeffrey Hancock asked 30 of his undergraduates to record all of their communications -- and all of their lies -- over the course of a week.
30 students??? Are you kidding me? THIS is the basis for a theory on human behavior? Where, oh where, has science gone?

Quote:
When he tallied the results, he found that the students had mishandled the truth in about one-quarter of all face-to-face conversations, and in a whopping 37 percent of phone calls. But when they went into cyberspace, they turned into Boy Scouts: only 1 in 5 instant-messaging chats contained a lie, and barely 14 percent of e-mail messages were dishonest.
Given the age of these people, they have more to lie about as they are still somewhat responsible for their actions to their parents. They also have less reason to care about doing so as they haven't matured yet.

Quote:
Obviously, you can't make sweeping generalizations about society on the basis of college students' behavior. (And there's also something rather odd about asking people to be honest about how often they lie.)
Thank you for the clarification that this entire article is a bunch of "feel-good" nonsense!

Quote:
But still, Hancock's results were intriguing, not least because they upend some of our primary expectations about life on the Net.
Hancock's results don't mean squat on such a small sample. This is just typically reckless journalism.

Quote:
Wasn't cyberspace supposed to be the scary zone where you couldn't trust anyone? Back when the Internet first came to Main Street, pundits worried that the digital age would open the floodgates of deception.
How quickly we forget all the worms that use forged source addresses and wreak utter havoc on the world. Also, how quickly we forget the hordes of spam selling pills that will make our penises several inches bigger, the credit card fraud, the identity theft, the hidden spyware on our computers, the web sites and banner ads that track us without our permission, and much, much more. It is all nice and all that a handful of college students lie less, but it isn't representative of the honesty of the internet in any way. Human nature will have its way, whatever the medium.

Quote:
Since anyone could hide behind an anonymous Hotmail address or chat-room moniker, Net users, we were warned, would be free to lie with impunity.
And they can quite easily. It takes all of 2 seconds to find an anonymous proxy server or to chain several in places like Iran or North Korea to post from, and do whatever the hell you want.

Quote:
Why were those fears unfounded? What it is about online life that makes us more truthful? It's simple: We're worried about being busted. In ''real'' life, after all, it's actually pretty easy to get away with spin. If you tell a lie to someone at a cocktail party or on the phone, you can always backtrack later and claim you said no such thing.
Now this is just ridiculous. This only pertains to people who are stupid enough to use their real names.

Quote:
On the Internet, though, your words often come back to haunt you.
Yep. For as long as it takes to set up another account. A few minutes.

Quote:
Indeed, the axiom that machines never forget is built into the very format of e-mail -- consider that many e-mail programs automatically ''quote'' your words when someone replies to your message.
So uncheck that little box that does so. It isn't hard.

Quote:
Before going on a first date, people Google their partners to see what they can learn.
Now this is actually pretty scary.

Quote:
In a couple of years, that sort of hardware will be standard issue in even the cheapest Dell computer. We are facing an age in which virtually nothing will be forgotten.
Ever heard of the delete key?

Quote:
...on the assumption that even a few seconds of face time can cut through the prevarications of letters and legal contracts. Remember when George W. Bush first met Vladimir Putin, gazed into his eyes and said he could trust him because he'd acquired ''a sense of his soul''?
There are just as many equivocations and prevarications on the web as any other written medium.

Quote:
With its unforgiving machine memory, the Internet might turn out to be the unlikely conscience of the world.
Wow. It just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. The net as savior of the world...
Old 03-23-2004, 11:23 AM   #16
Mostly absent

I would say that I'm more reserved IRL than I am here, but other than that I don't see any differences between my behavior online and IRL.

And I'm registered at NYT btw
Old 03-24-2004, 06:39 AM   #17
Doctor Watson

Well, there are other studies that show people lie less in the net. Or - so I've heard. Of course, it all might just be a load of awesome obstacle courses.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:11 PM   #18
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

But if this Lucasarts marketing scam with Sam n Max proves to be real, then wouldn't that throw all of the research out of the window?!

It is a ploy, you know!!

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #19
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Yep, when online I am the most honest person around, is that right, Mister Bubbles? (The monkey with a stuble)
I live in a castle in Spain... IN THE SKY! A floating castle where I have an army of ballerina badgers...

I also invented pie.... And I... where was I?

Ah yes honesty...

I may have "an overactive imagination", but its not the same thing being a loony than being a liar...

For a start, chicks DIG loonies!!! 8-)

I think the only reason we tell more personal stuff is because the screen is never as mean as a real person...

If someone insults me online, it wont hurt as much as offline...