Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Adventure Gamers' forum members get-together in Amsterdam! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/25615-adventure-gamers-forum-members-get-together-amsterdam.html)

tsa 10-08-2009 12:14 PM

Adventure Gamers' forum members get-together in Amsterdam!

Hi fellow forum members,

Jelena will visit the Netherlands in April next year. Yay! :) We thought it would be nice to organize a small get-together in Amsterdam during Jelena's vacation here, for the AG forum members who happen to be in the neighbourhood. In that way we can get to know each other a bit better and 'speak our language,' as Jelena's husband called it :). The date we picked is April 10 or 11, in a weekend. I can, for instance, organize a lunch or a dinner at a not too expensive restaurant, so we have a few hours to get to know each other. Before or after the lunch or dinner we can do a tour through the canals on one of the special boats, to get a different view of the most beautiful city in the world!

So what do you think? Please tell us if you want to join and what date is the best for you!

Cheers, tsa and Jelena

Jelena 10-08-2009 12:37 PM

Yes everyone near and far!
It would be so much fun to meet you all. Check your calendars and start saving up money for the trip. :D

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smile...mileys-369.gif

Luna Sevithiainen 10-08-2009 12:45 PM

Ooh would be nice to meet some forummers in real life :)
The 11th is my birthday, so I'm not sure how I'll plan the weekend, but I may just as well drop by for some time. Will see. I think I prefer the 10th, maybe I'll join lunch and then move on to my parents or something.

Edit: the trip will most likely be free for me, since I am still a student, and live in the Netherlands, and by that time very likely will travel for free in the weekends :P

tsa 10-08-2009 12:51 PM

Where do you study Luna? I studied Chemistry in Utrecht and I now hope to soon work again at the University of Twente in Enschede.

Edit: BTW, I also prefer the 10th because I think it's the best date for most Dutch people who have to work again on Monday the 12th.

AndreaDraco83 10-08-2009 12:57 PM

It would be wonderful. Amesterdam is not that far - when it comes to airplanes, of course - and I could flew in relatively easily, but I would have to check again in February, when I will know what my university/work schedule will be. If I have to take a plane to the Netherlands, alone or with my boyfriend, I'd like to be able to spend there at least four days :D

Luna Sevithiainen 10-08-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 525823)
Where do you study Luna? I studied Chemistry in Utrecht and I now hope to soon work again at the University of Twente in Enschede.

Edit: BTW, I also prefer the 10th because I think it's the best date for most Dutch people who have to work again on Monday the 12th.

I study neurosciences at the VU in Amsterdam, but by the time it is April, I'll be doing my final internship, which (if everything goes according to plan *fingers crossed*) I plan to do at the Donders Institute for brain imaging in Nijmegen. If all goes well I'll be living there by then. Else...I don't know yet where I end up come 2010 :P

Hope you'll soon get to work again :) Also something with chemistry?

And to stay on topic: you are totally right about saturday being the best day. Also to be in the city I guess, but that guess is only very wild.

Yay, it would be so much fun to meet you all :)

tsa 10-08-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen (Post 525826)
I study neurosciences at the VU in Amsterdam, but by the time it is April, I'll be doing my final internship, which (if everything goes according to plan *fingers crossed*) I plan to do at the Donders Institute for brain imaging in Nijmegen. If all goes well I'll be living there by then. Else...I don't know yet where I end up come 2010 :P

Cool! I am just in the process of reading 'Essentials of Neurosciences and Behavior' by Kandel et al. Fascinating!

Quote:

Hope you'll soon get to work again :) Also something with chemistry?

Only sideways; I'm into micro- and nanofabrication now. Blatant plug :D. But we digress...

Quote:

And to stay on topic: you are totally right about saturday being the best day. Also to be in the city I guess, but that guess is only very wild.

Yay, it would be so much fun to meet you all :)

The more people the better :)! Please also PM your forum friends who are not often on Chit Chat and thus might miss this thread!

booB 10-09-2009 08:09 AM

Will this get-together be in 2.5D, or in full 3D?

tsa 10-09-2009 09:09 AM

Full 3D with height adjustment, and an interface that lets you go everywhere and interact with everything! It runs on high resolution widescreen with unlimited colors!

Fantasysci5 10-09-2009 09:33 AM

Aww, wish I could come, but I'm a poor college student in the middle of the US. :frown: Have fun!

booB 10-09-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 525888)
Aww, wish I could come, but I'm a poor college student in the middle of the US. :frown: Have fun!

heh, maybe we should have one in the middle of the US then!

Wait... do more than two of us in the US play adventure games?

stepurhan 10-09-2009 11:34 PM

I'd have to work out the travelling and consult with Mrs Urhan but I like the idea. Can someone prod me nearer the time so I don't forget.

tsa 10-10-2009 01:06 AM

Of course I will prod you all a few times in advance, don't worry. Just be sure you are subscribed to this thread!

tsa 10-10-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 525888)

Quote:

Originally Posted by booB (Post 525895)
heh, maybe we should have one in the middle of the US then!

Ehm, maybe next time we can meet on a cruiseship halfway the Atlantic and play The Game That Takes Place on a Cruise Ship?

:) :) :)

Fantasysci5 10-10-2009 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 525957)
Ehm, maybe next time we can meet on a cruiseship halfway the Atlantic and play The Game That Takes Place on a Cruise Ship?

:) :) :)

roflmao!

Quote:

Originally Posted by booB (Post 525895)
Wait... do more than two of us in the US play adventure games?

lolz I often think that. I'm the only person I know that plays adventure games, present company excluded of course, but I don't actually "know" know you guys from real life. :P But that's a good idea!

stepurhan 10-10-2009 08:36 AM

It has been suggested I could do a live poetry performance (something like this one) should I make it to the meet. While I've got the No Nonsense Nonsonnets (see below, just updated it today) it occurred to me it might be good to do something bespoke. On that basis, I'm throwing it open for people to suggest subjects for poetry to perform at the meet. PM me ideas and I'll see what I can come up with. Suggesting forumites will get an "inspired by" credit on anything that comes good.

Attendance at the meet not mandatory for making suggestions. I'll aim to PM poems to anyone that can't make it.

Jelena 10-10-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen (Post 525822)
The 11th is my birthday, so I'm not sure how I'll plan the weekend, but I may just as well drop by for some time.

We'll celebrate your birthday a lot more than just a birthday thread in chit chat! It will be worth it, trust me! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 (Post 525824)
It would be wonderful. Amesterdam is not that far - when it comes to airplanes, of course - and I could flew in relatively easily, but I would have to check again in February, when I will know what my university/work schedule will be. If I have to take a plane to the Netherlands, alone or with my boyfriend, I'd like to be able to spend there at least four days :D

We (husband, daughter, perhaps son and I) are also planning on staying four days. We're flying as well. Ryan air has got great prizes and are flying from my hometown. (I've got 15 minutes to the airport!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan (Post 525978)
On that basis, I'm throwing it open for people to suggest subjects for poetry to perform at the meet. PM me ideas and I'll see what I can come up with. Suggesting forumites will get an "inspired by" credit on anything that comes good.

Check your PM! :)

tsa 10-10-2009 11:24 AM

Wow, poetry! I have to arrange a special location then. I will ask my friend in Amsterdam as soon as he is back from vacation :). Nice to see so much positive feedback!

Fantasysci5 10-10-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan (Post 525978)
see below, just updated it today

OMG, that's awesome! I hate it when one of my posts goes ignored!!! :crazy:

Squinky 10-10-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 525957)

I'd better get my travel expenses paid for, if that happens! :)

RLacey 10-11-2009 01:08 PM

Hmm...

Much as I'm tempted by the idea, I have a feeling that university degree number two is going to get in the way. Even if the meet-up is technically during the holiday...

tsa 10-11-2009 03:10 PM

But Rob, you can always get your University degree later in life. Meeting your fellow AG-ers is a once in a lifetime experience. So what is more important? ;)
But seriously, it would be grate if you could make it! Please register to this thread so I can keep bugging you! :)

Maruca 10-23-2009 11:04 AM

i am there

i am so there! And if there is anything I can help there organization wise (I can come earlier) you tell me Tsa.

Can't wait to meet you all and will try to be more active on here :)

Erwin_Br 10-31-2009 03:14 AM

I will try to be there as well. :)

Hammerite 11-01-2009 02:27 AM

Sorry - I'd love to participate but, alas, tis impossible.

Jelena 11-01-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerite (Post 527787)
Sorry - I'd love to participate but, alas, tis impossible.

Why? :frown:
If your parents say you can't go, tell them you have a forum mum who'll take care of you. ;)

tsa 11-01-2009 09:47 AM

Or is Amsterdam too far from Over there?

Hammerite 11-01-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 527809)
Why? :frown:
If your parents say you can't go, tell them you have a forum mum who'll take care of you. ;)

I need my money for rent, bills and food.
Plus my education!!

Maquisard 11-01-2009 12:58 PM

Edumakayshun sure's 'mportan', mhm.

RLacey 11-02-2009 05:16 AM

^ What he said.

tsa 11-10-2009 07:11 AM

Hi all!

So, we set the date at April 10, 2010, and we have the following people who will surely come to Amsterdam:
Jelena
Tsa
Stepurhan
Luna with the difficult name
Maruca
People who want to come but are not sure if they can yet:
Andrea
Erwin_br
RLacey
Significant others and family are of course also welcome! The list of people who (want to) come is still quite short, so PM your fellow AG forum friends about this please.

geggis 11-10-2009 09:03 AM

I'd like to come but I'm not really sure whether money and time will permit with our house mercilessly sucking both in at the moment!! I haven't been to Amsterdam since art college so it'd be nice to see it with fresh eyes and of course to meet some of you despite being relatively new to the forums.

I'll let you know if we can make it!

Jelena 11-10-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geggis (Post 528607)
I'd like to come but I'm not really sure whether money and time will permit with our house mercilessly sucking both in at the moment!! I haven't been to Amsterdam since art college so it'd be nice to see it with fresh eyes and of course to meet some of you despite being relatively new to the forums.

I'll let you know if we can make it!

It would be so much fun to meet you. Bring the wife! :)

Luna Sevithiainen 11-10-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 528596)
Hi all!
(...)
Luna with the difficult name
(...)

Sorry for the off-topic, but this made me giggle :P Especially given that I get that comment with my real last name as well (that, and people complaining that it is so long :P)

tsa 11-10-2009 12:01 PM

You make me curious Luna! What is your real last name? :P

Luna Sevithiainen 11-10-2009 03:38 PM

Haha :P
I prefer not to post any possible link between my real name and my nickname on a forum open to the whole internet (yes, I am paranoid like that, but the first link google returns is my facebook account :P), so I'll PM you about that.

cristane 11-10-2009 03:47 PM

If my budget will be in good health, I'll either come to Amsterdam for the fantastic film festival (which starts April 14th), or go to the Brussels fantastic film festival (from April 8th - 20th), so there's a good chance I'll be in the neighborhood for the meeting. Heck, if I'll be in Amsterdam for the whole festival, hopefully I'll hang out with the forum locals more than once :)

Giligan 11-10-2009 09:03 PM

Me needs teh subsidies!

So unfortunately, I'll be stuck in this continent at the time. alas.

UPtimist 11-11-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen (Post 528615)
Sorry for the off-topic, but this made me giggle :P Especially given that I get that comment with my real last name as well (that, and people complaining that it is so long :P)

To me the name's odd only because the end is a Finnish last-name ending. Like Mäkinen or Virtanen. And actually it's not just the "nen" part but the whole "ainen". For example Tiainen (a name, but also means 'tit' or 'titmouse' as in the bird, not the body part...). And for example 'breakfast' in Finnish is 'aamiainen'...

I guess that's also part of the reason I've never had trouble remembering the name...

Luna Sevithiainen 11-12-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist (Post 528727)
To me the name's odd only because the end is a Finnish last-name ending. Like Mäkinen or Virtanen. And actually it's not just the "nen" part but the whole "ainen". For example Tiainen (a name, but also means 'tit' or 'titmouse' as in the bird, not the body part...). And for example 'breakfast' in Finnish is 'aamiainen'...

I guess that's also part of the reason I've never had trouble remembering the name...

You know, I actually created that name my goal was to make it sound like a Finnish last name. I was at that time in a 'I want to learn Finnish because the language rocks'-period of my life (never found time for that though...). I once created a protagonist named Sevithiah, and decided to try to make that sound like a Finnish last name :P (I hope it doesn't mean anything odd in Finnish :P)