You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat How did you find Adventure Gamers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag
Default How did you find Adventure Gamers?

Just out of curiosity, what led everybody here to Adventure Gamers? I'm sort of one of the resident n00bs here, so I don't really know. But I've been thinking a lot lately about how people end up going to the websites they go to.

I know I first found it on Yahoo! many years ago, long before I started posting. So if you don't mind my asking, what about the rest of you? I would be especially interested in hearing about how some of the original members found it, being as I don't imagine it was very widely known when it first started out.

mag
Old 03-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
Citizen of Bizarro World

Funny you should ask that--I have no idea...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-20-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I think I knew Marek on IRC, back when he was called Maximar and had a Monkey Island fansite like a good little fanboy! That's how I found out about AG, although I mustn't have been paying much attention because I think I found it relatively late on in its gestation!

I think I started visiting regularly a few months before it stopped being green and gained an S (it used by Adventure Gamer), attracted by certain layout-related intruige! Even then it was sporadic... anyway, it's grown and grown, and now it's one of my favourite sites, and certainly my favourite forums...
Old 03-20-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Liver of Life

I think one day I was feeling very sick. I felt like vomitting. So I sat around, not moving, hoping it wouldn't happen. But then, it came.

Boy, was it ugly.

After I was done, it was so ugly that people refused to clean it. So I did it myself.

As I swiped through the muck and vile that came from my inner cavities, I found it.

Adventure Gamers.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:04 PM   #5

I just did a random google search and stumbled across it a year or so ago... I was impressed with its clear layout, which was not cluttered like JustAdventure!
Old 03-20-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Um... I think someone over at the AGS forums probably mentioned it. I first registered on the forums about 18 months ago, but got tired of the overwhelming amount of new posts that got added each day (I had dialup then and was online a lot less) and sort of drifted away. I came back in September (?) after the latest, and hopefully last, downtime, and have been here ever since.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

I think it was a link from Mojo, actually.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:46 PM   #8
JLC

Send a message via ICQ to GreenJeanz Send a message via AIM to GreenJeanz Send a message via MSN to GreenJeanz Send a message via Yahoo to GreenJeanz

I searched for Adventure gaming sites when I made my site about the dig because I wanted to asks how people thought the information and layout was.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:51 PM   #9
Squeaky

I was shamelessly begging for technical help with one of my games, and found the site through Google.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:56 AM   #10
Doctor Watson

I looked for Monkey Island websites and found www.mixnmojo.com. From there was a link to adventuregamers. I kept visiting the site because they had a nice design and interesting articles - and weekly polls! Then, when the forums were opened, I registered, but didn't post much. I don't know why I became an active member, though...
Old 03-21-2004, 01:50 AM   #11
Under pressure.

Via MixnMojo I guess. I can't remember. I do know that I was visiting the site from it's humble beginnings. I even remember that it was still under construction.

But the first few months I didn't participate on the forums, except for some occasional lurking. At the time I was a regular on #monkey-island channel, where Marek visited every now and then.

--Erwin
Old 03-21-2004, 02:44 AM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I don't even remember how I found AG, I either saw the old www.adventuregamer.com link in Pelit magazine or I was searching the web for good adventuresites, then I just came to visit the site and have been here since.

But I came to the forums for the first time maybe 2 years ago, (though registered only a bit over a year ago...) I wasn't that much interested in looking forums back then.
Then I once checked it because I was curious, and "fell in love" with the forum immediately.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:45 AM   #13

I don't remember. But I think I first visited in 2001, just lurking around. Probably through a link somewhere on the net.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:50 AM   #14
Mostly absent

I was serching around for adventure game sites at the end of 2003 and I stumbled upon a link to Evan's Top 20 Adventure Games of All-Time, and man I was happy when I found the TOP 20 list. I behaved like a little kid in a candy store.

btw, wasn't the TOP 20 list supposed to be back by now?
Old 03-21-2004, 04:09 AM   #15

I honestly can't remember. I actually don't even remember *when* I came here. I was here a good while before the original forum went down. I think I've probably been active for about one year, and lurking a year or so before that...

Hm... the date on my IE bookmark says 02-07-2002. It's as good an estimate as any I suppose.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 03-21-2004 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:01 AM   #16
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I had jsut found out that you could download old AGs for free over the internet, and stumbled over the downloads page of the old AG site by accident. While downloading all their demos (which I thought were full games), I saw that the site had more that your average abandonwarez site, so I stuck around.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:02 AM   #17
Joop Sloop

I met this guy in a discotheque once and he told me about this site he made, called adventurousgaming.net or something. So when I got home I checked it out and it looked ok and stuff. Then he mentioned that the forums were cool & the people there were so nice, so i decided to lurk a bit and after a while decided to join.

In other words, I knew marek before I knew Ag.com and that's how I ended up here
Old 03-21-2004, 06:17 AM   #18

I was looking for abandonware (pure nostalgia; I have these moments )
and I stumbled across the Fate of atlantis 2 site (http://amberfisharts.com/ , guess I was looking for info on foa) where there was a link to AG's top 20.
I was very interested because I hadn't played most of those adventures...
Old 03-21-2004, 07:29 AM   #19
Umbilicus Mundi

I'm not really a person who remembers these things well, but I think when I was just becoming aquinted with the internet (1998?), I somehow ended up a regular in the SCRAMM message boards. And I don't know if from there I found adventuregamers.com or separately. And when the very first forums opened (I think) I read them alot, but didn't post much. Then one day I became a regular poster.

Old 03-21-2004, 08:00 AM   #20
comfortably numb

I knew Marek and Lasse (Bordok) via the Monkey Island community (I think). Then they started a site. And so on.