You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Announcement: I wrote a book!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #1

Default Announcement: I wrote a book!

Hey folks!

You might know me, I’ve written a bunch of articles for Adventure Gamers. For example, I covered E3 this year, the Wallace & Gromit games, and just put up a review for Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition.

Anyways… I’ve launched a new personal website called “This is Great” at DanteKleinberg.com. It’s dedicated to talking about only stuff that’s great (at least in my opinion), with no snark or sarcasm. It’s only been up for a week, but there are a few posts you can read, and I have a lot more planned.

But the biggest thing I want to announce is that I’ve written a novel, and it just became available today on Amazon.com. It’s called Reinventing Alvin, and here’s the back-of-the-book synopsis:
Alvin Thomas has less than three weeks to produce the girlfriend he told the former love of his life he already had. To find one, he’ll have to get out of the comic book store and into the singles scene. But when “just being himself” leads to one humiliation after another, he forms a new plan: be someone else. It works so well it becomes addictive. From black belt to Buddhist, from park ranger to music producer, Alvin soon has more identities than he can handle, and his new girlfriends are starting to catch on.
You can read the first three chapters of Reinventing Alvin on my website to see if you like it, so here’s the link to that.

Thanks for your time! Hope you like the excerpt, and if you do decide to buy it, I hope you absolutely love the book itself.

-- Dante

P.S. Reinventing Alvin should be on Kindle (at a pretty decent discount) within a week or two if that’s more your thing. You can follow my Twitter or keep an eye on my website and I’ll announce when that’s available.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

The concept is interesting so I reckon I'll give it a look some time. I have a huge backlog of unread books at the moment though.

Congrats on both finishing a novel (a major achievement in itself) and getting it up on Amazon though.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #3

Thanks! And if you know anybody who likes that sort of book (similar in ways to High Fidelity or Adrian Mole Diaries), feel free to refer them to the excerpt.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
It's Hard To Be Humble

Congratulations.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Well good for you! I'm always impressed when people can stick to their projects all the way to the end instead of losing steam halfway through. You must be proud!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #6

Thanks! Yeah I am pretty proud of it. I think it came out well, and I hope people like it. So far a lot of folks who have read the excerpt have ordered the full book or have told me they plan on including it with their next Amazon order.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #7

I just wanted to say congratulations, Dantebk, on getting your novel published onto Amazon.com.

I too am writing a book, but I haven't decided yet on whether I'm going to sell it or not.

It's called "Hell on Earth", and it's a dark Science Fiction Horror story with a little bit of Romance in it too. It's set in the future, and it's about a female Japanese American cop, in the Underground City of Los Angeles, who meets two people who are slaves to a beautiful woman, who is also cruel and sadistic. She tries to save them, but instead becomes kidnapped by the woman.

I started writing it last year, but I got into a writer's block, and so I lost steam because of it. Now, I devote at least 3 hours to it in the afternoon.

When I'm not working on the book, I'm usually playing games on my X-Box 360, or watching movies. Please tell me if the book sounds interesting to you.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #8

Hi Zack,

Personally I don't usually read a lot of books in that genre, but the thing about books is: a book is sold on its concept, but lives or dies on the quality of the writing. If you produce a very well-written book then anyone will probably enjoy it even if the basic concept doesn't immediately grab them.

My advice is to read the following books:

The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing by Evan Marshall - This tells you all you need to know about making a book commercial
The Art of Fiction by John Gardner - This tells you all you need to know about making a book a work of art. If you can merge these two ideas, you're golden.
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne & King - Read this book at least twice. If you can apply all the principles in this book, then when it comes time to get your friends to read a finished draft, they won't be mad at you afterwards.

Good luck!!!