You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Looking for a new computer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default Looking for a new computer

So I've been recently thinking about getting a new computer, since I'm worried the old one's going to just blow up some day soon (And of course there's some other reasons too, but I won't bore you)... I'll wait until Windows 7 is released, but in the mean time I was wondering if you could give me a bit of advice (any general advice about, well, pretty much anything would be most helpful, and of course if you could also say something about the following..).

Now, I'm quite happy with my current screen, keyboard etc. (plus I can save money that way), so I'm just getting the actual PC or whatever. I asked for an offer at a local store and they gave me the following. First of all I have to say that I'm sorry that I have to give almost all the information there is on the paper I have, as I'm not always exactly sure what is what as there's only the specs there, not what everything is supposed to be. So I'm sure there's some useless information too, but I'm sure you'll forgive me. Also, I really don't know much about what's what and what's good enough nowadays, so try to keep that in mind too (and not get too frustrated over my ignorance ). I understand some of it, but then especially all the stuff about how things work together is totally lost on me

So, here's what they offered (actually, I wasn't the one who asked for the offer, so I know even less what is what now, all I have to go from is the paper they gave ):
Antec Sonata III EU 500WATX
Samsung F1 1TB Sata2,7200rpm, 32MB (HD103UJ)
SAMSUNG SATA 22X DVD+/-RWSH-S223F
M4A785TD-EVO ASUS AM3 AM D785G VGA DDR3 SATA2 GB
KVR1066D3N7/2G 2GB 1066MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC
EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5ASUS RADEON HD4890 1GB
HDX810WFGIBOX AMD PHENOMII X4 810 95 AM3 6MB BOX
(the price is 980€ (with taxes))

OK, so I can see some useless information (and some that I expect to be stuff about the origin or something like that with "EU" and "non-ECC" (of course, I could be horrible mistaken)) but just in case, I left all the hardware info there. Now, I can understand what some of them are, like the graphics card, but I have no idea how good it all is, especially together (but I'm repeating myself).

So, how good is it? Is this like totally top-notch (which is probably too much for me) or the opposite (I know enough to see that it shouldn't be that) or somewhere on the slightly-better side of things, which is quite what I'm looking for or what? Anything important it's missing?

Thanks in advance. And please, if you have any general advice outside this particular offer, do enlighten me Like, what you think a new PC should have and stuff...(and I'll see about maybe being more precise with what I want if you need me to)
Old 09-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
tsa
Playing character

Most people here, including me, are no hardware freaks. But as long as you are not an avid FPSer (first person shooter) it doesn't really matter what you buy. I guess for most people on this forum the average mid-price PC is good enough. If you want more performance you have to pay more. Since you didn't tell us what you want to or are able to spend, it's hard to give a recommendation . But these days I think the way the PC looks and is put together is more important than what it can do. So pay attention to the amount of USB ports and the amount of noise it makes, and don't worry too much about this or that videocard. If you can afford it you can also think about buying an iMac plus a legal copy of Win7. Boot the Mac into OSX for important stuff and into Windows for the games. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
In an evening of July...

It seems like more of a high-end rig you got there, and a little bit pricey. You'll probably need it to play Crysis or GTA4, but other than that you could be spending a little less, if money is an issue for you.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Creepy Father Figure

Nice but I would have gotten a slightly lower graphics card in favor of more RAM. Even with a top notch graphics display a high end game still uses the main processor and ram. to process the game info.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

So, did you buy anything yet, Uptimist?