You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Not-So-Average-Gamers shatter stereotypes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
merely human

Default Not-So-Average-Gamers shatter stereotypes

"IZ ON UR XBox360. EARNING U ACHIEVEMENTS."

Not-So-Average-Gamers (photo piece) | MSNBC
Msnbc.com readers share photos of themselves and loved ones enjoying games

This is a kind of photo album in progress of the diversity of passionate gamers like you and me that's partly a visual "F#@% YOU!" to ignorant types out there who still characterize us as anti-social unhealthy overweight (or underfed) nerds in dark basements shooting aliens or planning school massacres inspired by pixelated violence.

Your fellow gamers who share their pics range from classic geeks to athletes to a family of black belts in taekwando to grandmothers to young parents of infants. You're also invited to share your pic.

w00t.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Creepy Father Figure

You mean we are not all 40 year old over weight guys living in their moms basement?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

How ridiculously cute is that kitten?

Awesome!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
You mean we are not all 40 year old over weight guys living in their moms basement?
I've lived on my own for more than a week now! I even have my own cellar!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
merely human

Meet Hardcore Grandma Gamer! You think she'd settle for a lame-ass point-&-click adventure game? Bull crap! She'll pwn ur arse in a GTAIV online race!

Grandma plays Mass Effect (video)

Old Grandma Hardcore blog (her grandson blogs her gaming life)

Quote:
The past month has been brutal. Grandma, stoically leveling up different classes in her Blue Dragon party, is waiting for me to come from work to tell me about something she read in EGM, about an e-mail from one of you, tell me about a part of whatever she's playing or to pass along a message from someone who called about a job- someone needs senior portraits done before some yearbook deadline; someone else liked a photo in the paper and looked me up for a copy, etc.,. and just to talk a little and find out about my day. She's waiting to tell me how, yet again, her doctors can't tell her what's wrong with her shoulder, why she was sick, when chest-pain is severe enough to call 911, which prescription drug is deteriorating her nervous system, and various other things about which they seem to have nothing to say.

I know this because Grandma is consistent. When I leave for work at 7:30am and finally come into the game room sometime around midnight, 1:00am, 2:00am, Grandma is always in her chair, listening for the sound of the keys hitting the desk; waiting for that thump of my camera gear hitting the floor, to arch her head around and say "hey! You made it home!"

She's always there, playing whatever she's into at the moment, waiting to say hello.
We need moar like her!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
tsa
Playing character

I wish my parents were a bit more like that. It would be so much easier for of to talk to them about one of my most favourite hobbies. They do their best though. I usually get one or more games from them on my birthday.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I wish my parents were a bit more like that. It would be so much easier for of to talk to them about one of my most favourite hobbies. They do their best though. I usually get one or more games from them on my birthday.
I can soooo overrelate to that. My parents always hated me for playing games, well, at least my dad did. *sigh*
Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
tsa
Playing character

My parents don't hate me for playing games at all, they just don't appreciate the fun and satisfaction I get from playing them.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #9

I know, I mean I relate with that general sentiment, but to a much greater degree.

Not with the specifics. My parents don't buy me anything I ever want. I can't even get them to not buy me things I don't want. But they did inexplicably get me a gaming keyboard a while ago, that really got on my nerves.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
tsa
Playing character

That's weird...
Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
My parents don't buy me anything I ever want. I can't even get them to not buy me things I don't want.
I can relate to that.

My parents don't 'get' or appreciate video games either. They don't see the point of them and think they're time wasters. My mum didn't accept the fact that video games are an ideal medium for telling stories.

Philistine.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
the midnight rambler

My dad has never really 'got' gaming not even on a visual level - unless it's a car game that features state of the art graphics. He doesn't mind me playing them at all he just isn't interested. I remember showing him ICO at the bit where there's a windmill surrounded by water (if you've played it, you'll know the bit) and said "Wow, look at that" to which he shrugged his shoulders and just said "It's wasted on me."

Conversely, my mum didn't allow me to play Shadow of the Colossus unless she was sat watching because she thought it was beautiful and awe inspiring. My mum is really inquisitive about games though not really dexterous enough for anything other than adventure games, bless her. Unfortunately she's so dutiful of household stuff she doesn't make time to do recreational things, it's a shame really because she loved adventure games when we were younger and judging by her reminiscing, still would.

EDIT: sorry Trep, I'll try and get any pictures on here that I think will be relevant!

Last edited by geggis; 09-03-2009 at 03:07 AM.