Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Not-So-Average-Gamers shatter stereotypes (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/25395-not-so-average-gamers-shatter-stereotypes.html)

Intrepid Homoludens 08-30-2009 06:35 AM

Not-So-Average-Gamers shatter stereotypes

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/reso...esecat3601.jpg
"IZ ON UR XBox360. EARNING U ACHIEVEMENTS."

Not-So-Average-Gamers (photo piece) | MSNBC
Msnbc.com readers share photos of themselves and loved ones enjoying games

This is a kind of photo album in progress of the diversity of passionate gamers like you and me that's partly a visual "F#@% YOU!" to ignorant types out there who still characterize us as anti-social unhealthy overweight (or underfed) nerds in dark basements shooting aliens or planning school massacres inspired by pixelated violence.

Your fellow gamers who share their pics range from classic geeks to athletes to a family of black belts in taekwando to grandmothers to young parents of infants. You're also invited to share your pic.

w00t.

rlpw 08-30-2009 09:17 AM

You mean we are not all 40 year old over weight guys living in their moms basement?

AndreaDraco83 08-30-2009 09:39 AM

How ridiculously cute is that kitten? :)

Awesome!

tsa 08-30-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpw (Post 521945)
You mean we are not all 40 year old over weight guys living in their moms basement?

I've lived on my own for more than a week now! I even have my own cellar!

:D :D

Intrepid Homoludens 08-30-2009 05:26 PM

http://projectlore.com/wp-content/up...09/06/oghc.jpg

Meet Hardcore Grandma Gamer! You think she'd settle for a lame-ass point-&-click adventure game? Bull crap! She'll pwn ur arse in a GTAIV online race!

Grandma plays Mass Effect (video)

Old Grandma Hardcore blog (her grandson blogs her gaming life)

Quote:

The past month has been brutal. Grandma, stoically leveling up different classes in her Blue Dragon party, is waiting for me to come from work to tell me about something she read in EGM, about an e-mail from one of you, tell me about a part of whatever she's playing or to pass along a message from someone who called about a job- someone needs senior portraits done before some yearbook deadline; someone else liked a photo in the paper and looked me up for a copy, etc.,. and just to talk a little and find out about my day. She's waiting to tell me how, yet again, her doctors can't tell her what's wrong with her shoulder, why she was sick, when chest-pain is severe enough to call 911, which prescription drug is deteriorating her nervous system, and various other things about which they seem to have nothing to say.

I know this because Grandma is consistent. When I leave for work at 7:30am and finally come into the game room sometime around midnight, 1:00am, 2:00am, Grandma is always in her chair, listening for the sound of the keys hitting the desk; waiting for that thump of my camera gear hitting the floor, to arch her head around and say "hey! You made it home!"

She's always there, playing whatever she's into at the moment, waiting to say hello.
We need moar like her!

tsa 08-30-2009 08:41 PM

I wish my parents were a bit more like that. It would be so much easier for of to talk to them about one of my most favourite hobbies. They do their best though. I usually get one or more games from them on my birthday.

undeaf 09-02-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsa (Post 522008)
I wish my parents were a bit more like that. It would be so much easier for of to talk to them about one of my most favourite hobbies. They do their best though. I usually get one or more games from them on my birthday.

I can soooo overrelate to that. My parents always hated me for playing games, well, at least my dad did. *sigh*

tsa 09-02-2009 07:31 AM

My parents don't hate me for playing games at all, they just don't appreciate the fun and satisfaction I get from playing them.

undeaf 09-02-2009 07:55 AM

I know, I mean I relate with that general sentiment, but to a much greater degree.

Not with the specifics. My parents don't buy me anything I ever want. I can't even get them to not buy me things I don't want. But they did inexplicably get me a gaming keyboard a while ago, that really got on my nerves.

tsa 09-02-2009 09:09 AM

That's weird...

DustyShinigami 09-03-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undeaf (Post 522321)
My parents don't buy me anything I ever want. I can't even get them to not buy me things I don't want.

I can relate to that.

My parents don't 'get' or appreciate video games either. They don't see the point of them and think they're time wasters. My mum didn't accept the fact that video games are an ideal medium for telling stories.

Philistine. :P

geggis 09-03-2009 02:58 AM

My dad has never really 'got' gaming not even on a visual level - unless it's a car game that features state of the art graphics. He doesn't mind me playing them at all he just isn't interested. I remember showing him ICO at the bit where there's a windmill surrounded by water (if you've played it, you'll know the bit;)) and said "Wow, look at that" to which he shrugged his shoulders and just said "It's wasted on me."

Conversely, my mum didn't allow me to play Shadow of the Colossus unless she was sat watching because she thought it was beautiful and awe inspiring. My mum is really inquisitive about games though not really dexterous enough for anything other than adventure games, bless her. Unfortunately she's so dutiful of household stuff she doesn't make time to do recreational things, it's a shame really because she loved adventure games when we were younger and judging by her reminiscing, still would.

EDIT: sorry Trep, I'll try and get any pictures on here that I think will be relevant!