You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Something I just can't understand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #1

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk
Default Something I just can't understand

Does anybody here know why english muffins are actually called 'English' muffins? Because none of my english friends seem to know.

This is a serious question, btw; this is not spam or anything. Until recently I've thought of as a muffin as like a giant cup cake, but an especially moist one. I knew the bread on the McDonalds breakfast sandwiches were referred to as 'muffins' but I thought that was an United State'ian thing.

I don't know any shops that sell them so I couldn't actually say if they're from a British company or not.

Is it like 'French Fries' not actually being French?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Psychonaut

I think they are only called "English Muffins" in America. Possibly because an American Muffin looks more like a cake than the flat thing we call Muffins.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Scroll down a bit for the history here. I can't vouch for its 100% accuracy, but it's a start.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I'm believe they're called English muffins because they're dry and unpleasant.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
And bereft of any flavour. That's why you must slather marmalade and butter on top.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Scroll down a bit for the history here. I can't vouch for its 100% accuracy, but it's a start.
Thanks, Mel.

I really did suspect that this was the case as I have never heard of the 'English Muffin' until my mother came back from the US and found that nobody sold any.

Here's a quote for anybody too lazy to look up the history of that site;
Quote:
The Brits did not invent the English muffin—in fact, they had never heard of it until the 1990s, when Best Foods, a unit of international conglomerate Unilever, bought the S.B. Thomas brand† and began exporting it to the U.K. No one denies that the English muffin was invented by Samuel Bath Thomas, a New York City resident who had immigrated from Plymouth, England in 1874, worked in a bread bakery, and opened his own in 1880 at 163 Ninth Avenue between 19th and 20th Streets, in the neighborhood known as Chelsea.
†The brand is now owned by George Weston Bakeries, an operating unit of George Weston Ltd.
Seeing as Melanie can't vouch for its accuracy then I guess I can't either. I imagine that the Crumpet would be common there, if not for the muffin. (Seriously, guys; try a crumpet. They're seriously good even if you only spread a little butter, let alone other toppings).

I think it raises a question, though... if 'english muffins' were made to be 'toaster crumpets' then how were crumpets cooked before the toaster? You can grill them but grilled bread is still toast.

And if the crumpet and the muffin are related then I'm going to try using crumpets to sandwich other food (traditionally the crumpet is only served with spreads).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
I was going to type something but it occurred to me that it might be a joke so I'll leave well enough alone. (I didn't take offense; I'm Welsh. But anything I say about the English is an informed opinion having met plenty of them).

Last edited by Marduk; 08-01-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Psychonaut

If you're welsh you can explain why Toasted Cheese is called Welsh Rarebit
Old 08-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

This is an interesting topic, what bothers me is.
Some say cupcakes while other says muffins!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
If you're welsh you can explain why Toasted Cheese is called Welsh Rarebit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_rarebit

It's been years since I've had any. I was 5, maybe. Can't even remember what it tastes like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLXXXVIII View Post
This is an interesting topic, what bothers me is.
Some say cupcakes while other says muffins!
According to St. Nigella these are totally different things. I think muffins are closer to bread and rise in a similar way. They're a more moist encounter and the dough is far more likely to take on the flavour or other characteristics of whatever you put in them (ie, the blueberry juice turns the muffins a blue-ish colour and flavour).

But that might not be the 'official' differance. Nonetheless there is one.

Last edited by Marduk; 08-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Headbanger

Can someone explain why Danish pastry has a name refering to Vienna in the Nordic countries and France.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Difference between cupcakes and muffins
Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Can someone explain why Danish pastry has a name referring to Vienna in the Nordic countries and France.
Errr... Pass. As far as I know 'Danish' refers to things that come from or originate from Denmark.

And pastry... Well, that does kind of confuse me because in English 'pastry' is a dough that you line pie dishes with before filling them with the filling of your choice and then topping with another layer of pastry. Ofc, pastry is used in things other than pies but pies are probably the most universally recognisable uses of pastry. However I have noticed, through TV and movies, that many United State'ians sometimes refer to other things as pastry when I've been reasonably sure pastry is not one of the ingredients. (This includes donuts, but no other examples spring to mind).

But that reminds me of another confusing food-related conundrum; I have heard, though, that the Cornish pasty doesn't actually come from Cornwall (a Celtic region in SE England) but instead from another European country which I can't actually remember. (I probably know the name of the country in question and perhaps 1 or 2 items of related trivia, I just don't remember which one gave the world the Cornish Pasty).
Quote:
Melanie... You seem well versed in so many topics close to my heart... Are you single by any chance?

That site raises something else I've never been too sure of, though; what's the difference between Icing and Frosting?

My mother informs me that Frosting is a ready-made substance United State'ians purchase from shops to spread on their cakes (and anything else, I guess). (By default meaning that Icing was something that the rest of world makes at home for the same task(s). I took her at her word at the time but it occurred to me that there might be some people in the US who make their own icing (she’s very cynical and prone to exaggeration while I’m just as cynical and tend to take people literally when they’re generalising).

Ofc, it could be another “2 nations divided by a common language” thing. I only recently learned that “cilantro” is actually just coriander. (I was disappointed, I’d heard it mentioned on loads of US TV shows and thought it was some incredible synthetic ingredient that helps you cheat at cookery when it was sitting on my shelf all along).
Old 08-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Errr... Pass. As far as I know 'Danish' refers to things that come from or originate from Denmark.
Exactly, in Austria it's called Kopenhagener Gebäck (Copenhagen pastry) while in Denmark it's called Wienerbrød (Vienna bread). This sure is a mystery. BTW this is what I'm talking about.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
merely human

All I know is that here in the States I'd ask for a Danish. But if in Europe I'd say, "May I please have that thingy with the jelly in the middle?"
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
All I know is that here in the States I'd ask for a Danish. But if in Europe I'd say, "May I please have that thingy with the jelly in the middle?"
"Danish" works in Europe too as long as you're not in the Nordic countries or France. The question is why?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
merely human

You figure it out. I prefer to eat the topic at hand.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Melanie... You seem well versed in so many topics close to my heart... Are you single by any chance?
Yes. That's nothing new.

Quote:
That site raises something else I've never been too sure of, though; what's the difference between Icing and Frosting?
My mom (and aunts and grandmas) would make a powdered sugar frosting with milk, butter and powdered sugar for sugar cookies and other assorted things. They may have had some others. They're probably in my recipe box. I think they called it frosting but I guess I thought those were interchangable. I could be wrong.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes. That's nothing new.
Well now I'm too shy to continue this line of questioning...
Quote:
and you'd probably be met with a blank stare. In the UK this is 'Jelly'. (Well, obviously it's not all Jelly, but just one example of the many forms it may take ).

What I'd recommend you ask for, should the situation arise, is "that thingy with jam in the middle". It might be a good idea, for both of us, to learn translations of the word 'jam' (or Jelly, for you United State'ians) in whatever language either of us might happen to visit.
Quote:
My mom (and aunts and grandmas) would make a powdered sugar frosting with milk, butter and powdered sugar for sugar cookies and other assorted things. They may have had some others. They're probably in my recipe box. I think they called it frosting but I guess I thought those were interchangable. I could be wrong.
I think I may have spotted a potential difference. When I, or my mother or other miscellaneous relatives, making icing, we take Icing sugar (I assume this is the same as your powdered sugar, I could be wrong) or sometimes caster sugar (if icing sugar is unavailable) butter and whatever flavouring takes our fancies (I'm rather partial to vanilla and lime zest, with maybe a little almond), put them together in the same bowl and simply beat until smooth.

I imagine this would make a much thicker topping which (I presume) would stiffen more easily (no innuendos, please) than frosting, assuming, ofc, the difference is the recipe.

But, now I think about it, those times I’ve encountered ready made frosting that was also pretty thick, if not thicker…..
Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Well now I'm too shy to continue this line of questioning... and you'd probably be met with a blank stare. In the UK this is 'Jelly'. (Well, obviously it's not all Jelly, but just one example of the many forms it may take ).

What I'd recommend you ask for, should the situation arise, is "that thingy with jam in the middle". It might be a good idea, for both of us, to learn translations of the word 'jam' (or Jelly, for you United State'ians) in whatever language either of us might happen to visit. I think I may have spotted a potential difference. When I, or my mother or other miscellaneous relatives, making icing, we take Icing sugar (I assume this is the same as your powdered sugar, I could be wrong) or sometimes caster sugar (if icing sugar is unavailable) butter and whatever flavouring takes our fancies (I'm rather partial to vanilla and lime zest, with maybe a little almond), put them together in the same bowl and simply beat until smooth.
It's nothing I would apologize for, nor should it be also for a Brit if they held up a sweater and asked, "What do you think of this jumper?", or if they said, "Hold the lift, please! Thanks, 3rd floor, please."

Of course, I would never give anyone a blank stare. Colloquialisms and other forms of speech are merely textures in communications.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #20

Quote:
It's nothing I would apologize for, nor should it be also for a Brit if they held up a sweater and asked, "What do you think of this jumper?", or if they said, "Hold the lift, please! Thanks, 3rd floor, please."

Of course, I would never give anyone a blank stare. Colloquialisms and other forms of speech are merely textures in communications.
I didn't ask you to apologise :S The 'blank stare' would be from the confused shop assistant. You'd be the 'wise man' in the situation.

I guess I apologise if I caused any offense, here.

Last edited by Marduk; 08-03-2009 at 07:18 AM.