You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Harry Potter! YEAH!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default Harry Potter! YEAH!

I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of the Harry Potter films (part VI, for those of you not in the know). At the moment I am reading the book so I am perfectly prepared to see the movie. Me and my good friend Maruca, who is coming to Enschede next week, will go see the movie some time next week. I hope it's as good as the fourth one, which I found the best one of the series until now. O, and here is the trailer.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
The Quiet One

Although i think the movies range from 'alright' to just 'good', i'll definitely be seeing it. But i do prefer the novels to be honest. I found them to be an enjoyable read and couldn't put them down.

Even though book 6 does have a bit of romance, it seems the movie focuses too much on it. I read somewhere that it becomes a typical teen romance. The only teen romance that managed to pull on my heartstrings was Let the Right One In. Apart from that, i don't like romance.

I just hope this movie adaption is more faithful than the Order of the Phoenix, which missed a lot of content out.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Stalker of Britain

Ugh. I used to love Harry Potter, but then the movies weren't as good, and then Rowling ruined my favorite characters. I won't go into my rant about that, but let me just say-I would have loved it a lot more, if they had focused on the adults and their struggles against Voldermort, then sitting there reading pages and pages of Harry's teenage drama that I have enough of in my own life, and not really wanting to read. Voldermort is running amok, dark and important things are going on, and we're reading 100 pages on who Harry wants to kiss!!!!

Okay, end rant.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Psychonaut

I have a feeling that the movie will be hampered by the same problem as the book.

Not a lot happens apart from it acting as a set up for the finale.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #5
High Table's Low Chairman

It is a chidren's book. It's been judged to be darker than usual as it is already. But I loved it when in the last book you read about the pasts of the adult characters. Anyway, Tsa, that's interesting. I always figured it'd be more fun to watch a movie if you haven't read the book for a while, so that you don't recall everything that well.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
Pixiehunter

I always thought that Rowling didn't write Harry Potter as a children's book? Anyways, not that I mind, I am very childish

I like how the stories have evolved, getting darker and darker each time
Spoiler:
eventually killing off main-ish characters, although I was a little bit disappointed though to find that in the last book the 'killing a more important character each next book' trend wasn't quite followed. I was expecting at least Ron or Hermione to die. Or Harry of course. I like bad endings

It has become a tradition to see the Harry Potter movies in the cinema with my girlfriend, so that will be the case this year too Maybe we'll go see it during our holiday in Wales, because, really, the Dutch subtitles...are...a...horror. Really, they should NOT have translated names :S The same reason why you should NEVER read the books in Dutch. (But let's not rant about that )
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
High Table's Low Chairman

Why? What's wrong with classic names such as 'Zweinstein', 'Zwadderich' and the 'PUIST' test?
end sarcasm.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #8
Pixiehunter

You are right, they must sound magical to the English audience
Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
kamikaze hummingbirds

I liked the books, and I've enjoyed the films so far (though they have missed vital bits out at points, and it was better when they were out in the Winter for some reason).

Also, Emma Watson's in it... :
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Second Degree Black Belt

Well unlike all of you... I havent read the books. I don't have time to read such a thick book, you with two small children and my nights are to watch tv I have seen all the movies so far.

I'm sure the books are fantastic, and give you insight into the movies that others may not have if you havent read the books.

But like everyone else I'm looking forward to see the movie on the 17th

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Stalker of Britain

Ugh!

That's all I have to say; sorry for being the party pooper. And you do have a point, they were written for children. But let me just say; the way she treated Lupin's character, calling him a coward when he's lived with that "secret" his whole life, just sickens me. Anyway, sorry. lol
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Where Harry Potter is concerned, I miss all the constant speculating about what would happen in future books; yet, at the same time, I'm glad the series eventually came to an end.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Ugh!

That's all I have to say; sorry for being the party pooper. And you do have a point, they were written for children. But let me just say; the way she treated Lupin's character, calling him a coward when he's lived with that "secret" his whole life, just sickens me. Anyway, sorry. lol
Who called him a coward and why?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Stalker of Britain

It's in the 7th book, so I don't want to spoil it for you, but if you're curious, I'll put it in spoiler tags...But beware, there is a slight spoiler for the characters in the 7th book.;

Spoiler:
In the 7th book, Lupin is not only married to Tonks, but they are expecting a baby. Lupin is scared of being a father, of giving his "diseas"-being a werewolf to his on. He tries to run away from his responsibilities and guilt by offering to go with Harry and fight all the bad guys, and Harry calls him a coward. Now yes, he is freaking out a bit, because he'll be making his son an outcast, by being a werewolf, but don't call him a coward. He's lived, silently, with being a werewolf, being hated, his whole life, and has sins I'm sure has not come to light in this children's book. I love Lupin, and yes, he was freaking out, but he's one of the strongest characters I know. I just feel like Rowling ruined my character.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
tsa
Playing character

O, Fantasie, you misinterpreted that completely.
Spoiler:
First of all, it's not Rowling who called Lupin a coward, it's Harry. Sometimes authors have to have characters voice opinions that are not their (the authors') own. Furthermore, Lupin was afraid of being a father and running away from his responsibilities. Because Lupin is a stubborn man who doesn't care what other people think of him too much, Harry had to use extreme measures to make him change his mind. So calling Lupin a coward at that particular moment was a perfectly sensible thing to do, because Lupin rather went with Harry doing what he knew, than dive into the unknown adventure of being a responsible father. I'm quite sure you would have done something very similar were you in Harry's position at that time.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
Stalker of Britain

I understand that, but Harry doesn't know all of the drama Lupin went through in his life, and even though it was bad for him to want to run away, I understand why he's feeling guilty for
Spoiler:
the baby.

And I know it wasn't really Rowling saying it, but something about Harry Potter just rubs me the wrong way. She's copied a few things from my beloved Tolkien, and I know lots of people copy from lots of things, but I've just given up on that high school drama of Harry Potter. I'm sorry, I'm very bitter about it. I'll leave you all to enjoy it.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
tsa
Playing character

Well, to each her own of course. I agree that Harry sometimes is an amazingly annoying and stupid boy so I guess I understand a bit why you don't like him.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Seems like high school drama is easier to stomach if you've been out of high school for a while.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #19
Stalker of Britain

I really am sorry to rain on all of your enthusiasm. I used to be really into "Harry Potter", too, but I guess with my own drama in high school happening at the same time, it no longer appealed to me.

You guys'll have to tell me if there's any Lupin time in it!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
tsa
Playing character

I never had any drama in High School. And yes, Lurin will be in there. I just finished the book