You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat New to Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #1

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk
Default New to Adventure Gamers

Well I'm not 'strictly' new, I've been to this site once or twice before, I just never stayed very long for one reason or another.

I register purely to comment on a review (only I think I'll be reading a lot more of your reviews, from now on, and therefore probably making a few more comments).

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself before I posted that comment because it was going to be negative and longer than I intended it to be. I just wanted you to know that I'm not as grumpy as I might appear... I think I'm a nice guy. I just don't want people to judge me based on one comment that will probably come off as a rant to a lot of people. (I know I'm assuming that the mods will let it through when there's always the possibility that I won't, but there's still no harm in taking the precaution).

A few things about myself, do not feel too obligated to read them ;

I rarely share my real name with anybody online, in whatever medium, as a means of keeping them at a distance.

I have Aspergers Syndrome and believe this to be one of my better qualities.

I am obsessive about the truth and explicit details (I think this is true of a great many people with AS).

There's nothing else that springs to mind that doesn't seem too personal to share.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Second Degree Black Belt

Well Hello

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Stalker of Britain

Hello there, Marduk! And I love your user name.

Don't worry-everyone is allowed to have differing opinions on any game on this site, and as long as your reply to the review is polite, no one will think you are a horrible person or anything. It's interesting to read other people's thoughts about differing opinions, and as I said, as long as you are polite and give evidence to why you think a certain thing differently than the reviewer, you will be just fine.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
You're tall, skinny, and green? (Wait..no, that's "asparagus". ) Welcome, fellow n00b.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Welcome!

It is a very friendly nice community here. It is definetly the best message board I have been to. However one critisism is the lack of variation with threads. *in this section*
A lot of new things die out easily while old popular threads keep dominating.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Yay! What's your personal affinity/skill? (I'm not sure "affinity" is the right word, but you most likely know what I mean.)

And if it's not much too personal, where do you live? I'm not asking for an address, just a general location.

Last edited by MoriartyL; 07-03-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLXXXVIII View Post
A lot of new things die out easily while old popular threads keep dominating.
Yes, that is just the way of the world.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Hey, your avatar's from The Mask. Cool.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
tsa
Playing character

Hey Mr. who thinks he is a nice guy! Welcome to the forums! We will get to know each other if you keep posting here, don't worry. I am tsa and I love all things small. And Myst. I love Myst too. And Dreamfall.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Hello there, Marduk! And I love your user name.
thanks, are you a fan of the band / extreme metal?
Quote:
as long as you are polite and give evidence to why you think a certain thing differently than the reviewer, you will be just fine.
Well I've certainly done that and I'v been trying my best to remove anything that looks as if it might cause offense. However as short as I try to make the comment (which im still working on) it still comes out like a long-winded rant, which is my main problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Yay! What's your personal affinity/skill? (I'm not sure "affinity" is the right word, but you most likely know what I mean.)
it's not unknown for an Aspergic to rapidly assimilate information in more than one narrow field. I don't think I've narrowed it down to one, yet I suppose the area I've spent most of my time devouring information about is the history of Heavy Metal and its sub-genres. I also have a knack for designing clothes/shoes, but I wouldn't know how to go about creating patterns. (If anybody here does know and might be able to link somewhere with the necessary information, or a a page advertising a book on how to make sewing patterns, I'd be eternally grateful!)
Quote:
And if it's not much too personal, where do you live? I'm not asking for an address, just a general location.
The middle of Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Hey, your avatar's from The Mask. Cool.
Thanks I've long meant to get around to reading the comics on which my avatar is based as the premis (spelling?) really speaks to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Hey Mr. who thinks he is a nice guy! Welcome to the forums! We will get to know each other if you keep posting here, don't worry. I am tsa and I love all things small. And Myst. I love Myst too. And Dreamfall.
the way I look at it is, if you decide you want to be a nice person you have to try to live up to the role. I frequently seem irritable and withdrawn to others (I still don't understand why people regard reclusive people as less than nice), but if I see somebody who appears to need help I try to do what I can for them.

Actually, thinking about it, I seem to recall that the original meaning of 'nice' is closer to accuracy than pleasantness. Something that is nice is fit for its purpose.

I have a confession to make, Tsa, because I recently made a promise to expand my naturally honest nature to be automatically upfront with people (even ones I've just met). I have never completed Myst, in spite of buying it for several platforms, over the years. I just never had the patience. Sorry about this.

Last edited by Marduk; 07-03-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Stalker of Britain

If your rant has good points that stay on track, I'm sure it'll be fine. If I may ask, which review is your "rant" on, just in case it's one of mine! I'm wondering if you're ranting against the review, or the game?

And I love Myst too, and I understand why you couldn't get through it. I don't like all the puzzles, but the stories were so amazing to me.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
If your rant has good points that stay on track, I'm sure it'll be fine. If I may ask, which review is your "rant" on, just in case it's one of mine! I'm wondering if you're ranting against the review, or the game?
Runaway: A Road Adventure. It was the relentless stream of monologues and bloody awful dialogue that caused me to uninstall this game about half way through (this is an estimate, I have no idea how close I was to the end, the lead protagonists were stuck in a desert, somewhere). I wont list all the things I hate about this game on this thread.

The rant was against the game and not the review. Though I just can't see how something that grates my nerves so badly gets such persistently good marks... Is it the fact that's a 2D adventure, like the ones many players would be nostalgic for?
Quote:
And I love Myst too, and I understand why you couldn't get through it. I don't like all the puzzles, but the stories were so amazing to me.
I still intend to finish this, one day. I just kept on hitting walls and just couldn't seem to find the information I needed within the game to solve the puzzles.

Ultimately I just don't think I spent long enough on it on any attempt; life has this habit of getting in the way...
Old 07-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
Stalker of Britain

Ah, well I am quite relieved it's not against the review itself. I myself write for this site, and we do try to be as objective as possible.

Everyone has their rants on some game they do not like, so don't worry about it. And maybe instead of ranting on the actual review, you can see if there's a thread in the "Adventure" forum about it, where rants are welcomed.

And I'm Katie by the way. I'm always on the forums, so hopefully we'll see each other some more.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
I have a confession to make, Tsa, because I recently made a promise to expand my naturally honest nature to be automatically upfront with people (even ones I've just met). I have never completed Myst, in spite of buying it for several platforms, over the years. I just never had the patience. Sorry about this.
That's no problem at all. To each his/her own! Don't worry about it.

Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
It's interesting to read other people's thoughts about differing opinions, and as I said, as long as you are polite and give evidence to why you think a certain thing differently than the reviewer, you will be just fine.
Quote:
Runaway: A Road Adventure. It was the relentless stream of monologues and bloody awful dialogue that caused me to uninstall this game about half way through (this is an estimate, I have no idea how close I was to the end, the lead protagonists were stuck in a desert, somewhere). I wont list all the things I hate about this game on this thread.
Ooh, I'm curious about your rant Marduk! I finished the game, but I also didn't like it much. I will keep my remarks to myself until I find your rant. I like rants. They have to be based on facts though. "I hated it" without explanation is no use to anyone.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
Freeware Co-ordinator

Welcome Marduk. I've never played it myself but comments on the forums indicate you're not the only one with a low opinion of Runaway.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #16
tsa
Playing character

I think if you want to start a discussion you'd better put your review in a thread instead of as a comment to the review.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #17
Creepy Father Figure

Hello Marduk. It's interesting that the Wiki description of Aspurger's Syndrome seems to cover about 75% of us here. so... Welcome!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #18
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I think if you want to start a discussion you'd better put your review in a thread instead of as a comment to the review.
Quote:
And maybe instead of ranting on the actual review, you can see if there's a thread in the "Adventure" forum about it, where rants are welcomed.
I knew I was having dejavue. lol
Old 07-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Maaaan I wanted to try out Runaway since I read much good about it!

However I am no hardcore adventure gamer, only played some handful classics and thats about it ,but from what I read here it doesn't sound that great.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLXXXVIII View Post
Maaaan I wanted to try out Runaway since I read much good about it!

However I am no hardcore adventure gamer, only played some handful classics and thats about it ,but from what I read here it doesn't sound that great.
Actually the gameplay and the puzzles are pretty good; I have nothing but positive things to say about that aspect of the game. I know for a lot of players it's all that matters.

My problems were in other areas.

But you're right, I probably should find the right forum about the game before posting. Thanks