You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat New to Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #41

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

I used to be a lot like that, when I was in college. (For any United State'ians reading this; in the UK college is usually something that comes between secondary school and university. And you guys would, I think, refer to 'secondary school' as 'high school').

I'd refer to myself as the 'Chicken Master, true ruler of the world' and that I was here to 'Show people the power and glory of following Cheese' and that 'only be worshipping cheese will you find true enlightenment and happiness!'

There was more to that and was also more varied silliness to my repartee.

I still do it, from time to time. I think it is (and always was) a method of keeping people from getting close to me (and also extremely effective keeping them away from me altogether).

But these days I try to peruse my own brand of pathologically brutal honesty, coupled with relentless, cold and indifferent (though not necessarily factual) logic and word play and find it works equally as well and is quite often more enjoyable.

It is refreshing to see that kind of mental humour in somebody of the female persuasion, though, and I do hope to see more of it.

However I mostly felt like I was on the outside of an inside joke when I read
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
And her boyfriend feels soft and cuddly*snicker*
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Daddy! You better not be talking about my Louie! Only I would know that very sensitive information!!!

Last edited by Marduk; 07-06-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #42
kamikaze hummingbirds

You may, now you've revealed your UK lineage, be adored by Fantasysci5.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #43
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Well clearly there's some inside joke going on which I may become privy to, in time.
There are quite a lot of inside jokes revolving around, some of them I don't even know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
However I mostly felt like I was on the outside of an inside joke when I read
Rlpw and Jelena are seen as the forum's mother and father, and they adopted me, hence the "Daddy". Also, I talk about my boyfriend, Louie, a lot around here, and they all like to make fun and stuff.

So...you're British?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #44
tsa
Playing character

I am the nice uncle!!! I'd like to cuddle Fantasie but I don't dare for fear of Louies wrath.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
My 'UK lineage' was actually revealed in this post

But I suppose it would mostly be people actually from the UK who'd realise this. I'm frequently called 'English' by friends from other countries and I have occasionally found American (and I use the term ‘American’, here, to encompass various countries on the American continents) sites that have 'England' in lists of countries when you come to register (or whatever other reasons they may have a drop-down menu of countries) but no sign of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the UK or 'Great Britain'.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #46
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I am the nice uncle!!! I'd like to cuddle Fantasie but I don't dare for fear of Louies wrath.
Um...I don't even know what to say to this. lol

Marduk-I just realized I forgot to answer your earlier question; No, I've never even heard of the band, I thought your username was talking about the villan in Kings Quest 5... Oops. lol

And yes, even though I'm from the US, I do know the difference between "England, "Britain", and "UK". Which is why I saw your first post where you mentioned it, and didn't start drooling right away. England is what really has my heart, although my username says Britain because I like how that sounds better.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Marduk-I just realized I forgot to answer your earlier question; No, I've never even heard of the band, I thought your username was talking about the villan in Kings Quest 5... Oops. lol
Don't worry, this only reveals my ignorance as I've never played any of the King's Quest series. I've only heard of those games recently, tbh. I've only actually heard of 'Marduk' as a Black Metal band and a Babylonian God... Tell a lie, actually, I seem to recall he was also a [very] minor character in World of Warcraft (I think he's mentioned, briefly, in one quest chain and appears later as the servant to a boss most players simply skip).

Quote:
England is what really has my heart, although my username says Britain because I like how that sounds better.
I shall assume this is only because you haven't experienced enough of Wales
Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #48
Stalker of Britain

My love affair with England is a hard thing to explain. I have loved it since I was little, while watching "Red Dwarf" and other British shows; I fell in love with it. The green, flat countryside, the accents, something just tickled me about it. No offense to other parts of the UK, it's just England holds a very special illusion for me.

On a related note, I read your rant. It was very well thought out.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #49
tsa
Playing character

What is the difference between England, Britain, and the United Kingdom? United Kingdom of what is it actually?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #50

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
What is the difference between England, Britain, and the United Kingdom? United Kingdom of what is it actually?
You could wiki it :p
It seems Britain and United Kingdom means the same today, Britain as a name derives from the roman empire, whilst the United Kingdom came later and previously included Ireland but we know today its only the north part!

In the past I wanted to believe that the Scotts were "forced" into union ,but its actually the opposite, apparently England was having problems and the union helped England a lot. However it does not explain to me all the slaves they used from Scotland. Or was that also done by scottsmen themselves selling slaves and all from their own country men?

It hasn't been such a nice kingdom. Discrimination, under representation, slave trade!
Incase people didn't know during the first plantages in South America they used Scottish Slaves ,but switched to Africans since they died easily due to sickness from the harsh climate. People forget that Welsh/Irish/Scotts have been used as slaves for a long time and make it as if only coloured people were discriminated in pre modern eras.

Anyhow, I think its nice to have a Welsh person here. Personally I would rather see Wales/Scotland/Ireland than England for several reasons (greater stronger cultural ties, more lovely nature, plus more pure celts!).

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 07-07-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #51

Well... I dont want to get political, but you're right; the union did help England. Which was all the more reason for them to force the surrounding countries into it.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:08 AM   #52
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLXXXVIII View Post
It seems Britain and United Kingdom means the same today
I thought Britain was the island - i.e. not Ireland?

(Some googling later…)

Ah. according to wikipedia, "Britain" by itself is an ambiguous term that may refer to the island of Great Britain (what I was thinking of), but also United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (a.k.a. the UK).
Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #53
tsa
Playing character

And what about Canada and Australia, of which Queen Elisabeth II is officially queen?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #54
Game Creator Hobbyist

That's just because they'd feel inferior if they were without royalty.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #55

I think they're still considered part of the British Empire (or I think the term might be 'common wealth'? I never figured out quite what that meant).

Most people, here at least, consider Canada and Australia to be independent. Gibraltar and is also part of it but, from what they gather, they don’t really consider themselves to be independent.

(Possibly more famously) the Falklands (because of that whole “war” Maggie Thatcher engineered) is under our jurisdiction and that many of it's inhabitants are of Welsh decent
Old 07-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #56
Stalker of Britain

No bashing my England!! lol

Yes, when everyone sees how rosey eyed I am about England, they try to tell me about all of the bad things, but I have trouble accepting it. I still love England.

So tell me, Marduk, how are you liking the forums so far? I saw you've been contributing to a lot of threads.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #57

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Quote:
No bashing my England!! lol

Yes, when everyone sees how rosey eyed I am about England, they try to tell me about all of the bad things, but I have trouble accepting it. I still love England.

So tell me, Marduk, how are you liking the forums so far? I saw you've been contributing to a lot of threads.
Hey I didn't mean it like that, you admire England for goods things. I am sure you aren't saying fuck yeah brits forced english into peoples throats!.

I personally admire those aspects too but I notice that the folkgroups within the "kingdom" has an interesting history which has not been that represented in the past. So I take interest in such, the lesser known. I have a lot to use against England ,but hey I do support some of british colonial influence too, like attitudes and language advantages.

An example... who said that the brits had to listen to Gandhi? or follow their laws. This came to Gandhis aid that he was following the law and in the process during the trials he won (because there was nothing in the law to sentence him for!). This is because the brits followed their principles! (yes its dehumanizing to jail someone for nothing but it could still been used against him). Yes it can be argued that they would not done the same with africans since they admired Indian people due to our same ancestery. Also there are cultural changes or attitudes that we have learned from England in positive way. English ending up as a world language! meh out with the french frogs language! *hey I am just joking you know*

But if you look past the awful dominating history, and at things we have achieved through english influence. There is a lot of good stuff!. Hey during the first world war brits kept their weird war marching habits even when they were walking towards machine guns. In any guys right mind you would think run the fuck! don't move slow so the enemy can spot you!.
Okay I am just talking all over the place. Anyways it's nice to see welsh people here, I would love to learn more about your country Marduk even if this is an adventure gamer forum *shhh*.

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 07-07-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #58
Stalker of Britain

Yes, it would be lovely to learn about all different kind of countries, as well as Wales. Both sides of my family were actually from Wales.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #59

Wales is the home of Kind Arthur. Wales was the last bastion; Britain was never completely conquored [by force] by any war machine from any nation (not even England) because Wales was the only part that couldn't be completely captured. Wales is.... Damn it, just come here and I'll show you all why it's just so damn great.

*sob* I never realised how patriotic I was 'til I came here...
Old 07-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #60
Psychonaut

The problem with England is that it has no national identity.

Scotland, Ireland and Wales have a lot of pride to our nationality, but England's has faded.

They don't have their own parliment (it's the British Parliment not England's), they don't have a national museum or Gallery, they don't have a national anthem so they use the British one. Sure they have their own flag, but most of the time they use the union jack especially when on holiday in Magaluf or the Costa del Sol.

It's all very sad, as England has just as much history as the rest of the UK, but out of all the countries that joined the union England seems to be the only one to give up it's identity in favour of a "British" ideal.