You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat So angry at our courts...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Friendly Server Admin

Default So angry at our courts...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/971734.asp?0cv=CB10

I'm soooo mad at our courts right now. They actually claim that a national do-not-call list to block telemarketers infringes on the telemarketers' freedom of speech. As if they somehow have the right to disturb me in my own home using a line I pay a monthly fee to access to sell me products I don't want.

Argh!
Old 09-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
merely human

Two words in regards the court's decision: Bull. Shit.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-25-2003, 03:27 PM   #3
Liver of Life

This brings up the question of to what extent freedom of speech is allowed.

From what I've read, it was ruled, at some point in time, that the right to freedom of speech only exists when you are not hindering other people from going about their daily business. I think it came up when a group of university students sat down on a highway, essentially causing a couple of accidents and a humungous traffic jam, because they didn't approve of the Vietnam war. They were "exercising their right to freedom of speech." It was after that, that they made the above mentioned distinction. Now since their freedom of speech disrupts your and my day, this shouldn't be necessarily protected as such by the First Amendment.

Then again, I'm no lawyer. I'm just a kid
Old 09-25-2003, 05:06 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Plus I don't think corporations as an entity are protected by the first amendment.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:44 PM   #5
JLC

Send a message via ICQ to GreenJeanz Send a message via AIM to GreenJeanz Send a message via MSN to GreenJeanz Send a message via Yahoo to GreenJeanz

Actually, they are.(*)
But this is still absurd.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Well, from a totally objective point of view, the court's decision IS an infringement upon free spech. That doesn't matter though! As krkode correctly pointed out, there are indeed lawful limits on free spech. There are many activities that are in theory exercises of free speech but are quite simply illegal because they themselves put undue duress on the lives of others. Examples include krkode's situation (though that was certainly not the first example), shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded room in which there is no fire, and calling in death threats to people like the President. Some examples are more harmful than others, but I think it's absurd that the courts would rule in favor of blocking the Do Not Call list. The thought that disturbing people during periods when one KNOWS they will be either relaxing or otherwise occupied at home (that's precisely why they call when they do--they know most people will be home from work/school/errands) should be constitutionally protected is a ludicrous notion to ANYBODY except telemarketers.

I take some solace in the fact that most likely this ruling will be overturned by a higher court.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-25-2003, 06:03 PM   #7
Liver of Life

My job as a minor at home is a monotonous repeating of the words, "My parents aren't home right now. Could you call later?"

I do this irrespective of where they are
Old 09-25-2003, 06:19 PM   #8
Friendly Server Admin

On my to-do list for telemarketers:
Quote:
Marketer: "Good afternoon, sir. Are you happy with your long distance service?"
Me: "Oh, right, what's the counter-password? Um... Right! 'The electrified otter glides effortlessly through the pond.'"
Marketer: "I beg your pardon, sir?"
Me: "Aren't you my top-secret contact? You know the right password! You say 'Are you happy with your long ditance service,' I say 'The electrified otter glides effortlessly through the pond,' and then you're supposed to give me the top-secret missile launch codes. The president is waiting, you know!"
Old 09-25-2003, 07:16 PM   #9
Doctor Watson

I usually try to sell them my old coffee maker.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:45 PM   #10
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I think the only sensible thing is to do what they did on Golgafrincham. I.e. send the telemarketers (and similar people) off to another planet. Preferably as long away as possible.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-25-2003, 10:26 PM   #11

I think it was the hairdressers that they'd sent off, rags ... ?

In any case .. I've never actually been telemarketed .. oh wait, actually now I remember, one time. But certainly not enough for me to get really annoyed with them.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:21 PM   #12
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
I think it was the hairdressers that they'd sent off, rags ... ?
It was all kind of people like haridressers, telephone sanitzers, marketing people. Simply put all those who ain't workers, leaders or creative people.

And note that the people of Golgafrincham later died from a disease developed with a dirty telephone.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-26-2003, 02:39 AM   #13
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

As far as funny things to do to telemarketers, I like the Seinfeld way of asking the guy for his home phone #.

As far as that court decision, well, the House already voted 418-6 or something to support the DNC list, so I don't think we have to worry about the one fluke. Sadly, though, the House decision wasn't any less politically motivated than the court decision. I've pretty much decided that truth has no place in government.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-26-2003, 03:27 AM   #14
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

And On my to-do list for telemarketers:

Quote:
Me: "Good afternoon, sir. Are you happy with your long distance service?"
Marketer: "Er... Pardon Sir"
Me: "Er... Pardon Sir"
*hangup*
*Sigh* or more realisticly:

Quote:
Me: "Um... no"
Marketer: "Would you be interested if I told you I could cut the cost of long distance calls in half?"
Me: "Very interested!"
etc
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 09-26-2003, 03:57 AM   #15
merely human

This one has always worked for me:

Quote:
Telemarketer: "Good evening, how are you? Is the head of the household home?"
Me: "No, he never gets home before 12.30 am - work."
Telemarketer: "Oh, well then may I leave my name and phone number?"
Me: "Sure, maybe he'll call you back."
Telemarketer: "That's all right then. Have a good evening."
Me: "I am now. Bye." [click]
Works every time.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-26-2003, 04:28 AM   #16
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
As far as that court decision, well, the House already voted 418-6 or something to support the DNC list, so I don't think we have to worry about the one fluke. Sadly, though, the House decision wasn't any less politically motivated than the court decision. I've pretty much decided that truth has no place in government.
The house passed it 412-8 against, and the senate passed it 95-0, and Bush said he "looked forward to signing it." All in the space of <24 hours. That's quite possibly the fastest I've ever seen a bill go through the system. Then it got overturned by the Colorado federal court as unconstitutional. Now the 10th circuit court of appeals in Denver is going to take a look at it.