How slow this group is these days - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat How slow this group is these days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
The Major Grubert.

Default How slow this group is these days

I used to come here daily and found lots of engaging threads. Today, I come back after a long absense to find very few new thread/posts. We must be all busy with our facebook wall!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

What Facebook wall?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Heya Speck.
We just keep replying to the same threads every day. And nope, I'm not on Facebook (anymore) or on Twitter either.

(IIRC, I first met you years ago on the JA forums. I wasn't part of the mass exodus but I've abandoned JA almost entirely (mostly due to TMT... y'know, "too many twits" ) and rarely post there nowadays, instead wasting my time here every day! )
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Stalker of Britain

I noticed that, too. I check almost relegiously every hour, and it's very slow going.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Lazy Bee

Well I'm busy working full time and running a family. I just don't have the time or enough energy to post much.
And my co-workers are very much into debating everything these days I get my fair share of discussion at work.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Yeah noticed the same unfortunately ,but then again I should stop using the internet that much all together.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Jen

I've just started reactivating my forum memberships after a long absence from all but my home site. I see the old Thread Must Die thread finally died :p (Edit: or not... There it is, two threads below this one. I guess I am getting blind in me doddering years.)
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
tsa
Playing character

Welcome back to the forums Specksie! It's indeed slower than it used to be, but it's still fun to come here every day. But that's because we missed eloquent and provocative people like you .
Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Second Degree Black Belt

I agree with Jelena.... but durning this summer I will have more time to talk with everyone.... but I still like coming everyday to see what you all are up to

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Creepy Father Figure

Alright now you're talkin my friend! How about someone say how awful people of Faith are and then blame us for everything from Global Warming to Death in general. Even though Death is just doing her job and shouldn't be so persecuted.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
How about someone say how awful people of Faith are and then blame us for everything from Global Warming to Death in general.
I have no problem at all with people of faith; In fact, I harbor quite a bit of admiration for their ability to believe that there exists order and "a plan" in what I see as a basically chaotic and random universe.
I do, however, have a problem with the ugly twin sisters of people of faith- people who degrade, devalue, and sometimes outright prostitute their faith by attempting to sell it door-to-door, as if the afterlife is a land of free appliances for whoever signs up the most converts.
I also have a HUGE problem with the wicked stepmothers of people of faith- people who use their "faith" as a sword to divide society into "Us" and "Them", with the "Thems" being relegated to second-class citizenship because they don't share the same beliefs (or frequently simply don't interpret the same beliefs in the same way) as the "Us's".

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 05-06-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
tsa
Playing character

Oh yes, even in our church there was a lot of anger and grief over that. It's one of the reasons why I gave up on religion altogether. All gods that have ever been invented teach tolerance and kindness toward other people, but people always seem to think they know better.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I have no problem at all with people of faith; In fact, I harbor quite a bit of admiration for their ability to believe that there exists order and "a plan" in what I see as a basically chaotic and random universe.
Here's a question, not necessarily directed at you personally. I hear this kind of sentiment a lot from non-religious people, and to be honest, I'm baffled about why people express "admiration" for others believing in something that they don't perceive as real. Is it just me, or do I hear a slightly patronising sense of pity in such statements? I don't mean to accuse anyone of anything here; I'm just curious.

Incidentally, your description also happens to fit many materialists whose faith lies in science. Was that intentional?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
Lazy Bee

During a period of my life I had lots of religious friends and I also accompanied them to church and their activities. I sort of watched them and wondered if I too would feel what they felt, but that never happened. And I remember being almost jealous that I couldn't be part of it.
I guess I felt some kind of admiration for their dedication.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
Creepy Father Figure

*Grins and waits for someone to say Hitler*
Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #16
Stalker of Britain

Guys...how did we get talking about freakin' relegion?!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I used to come here daily and found lots of engaging threads. Today, I come back after a long absense to find very few new thread/posts. We must be all busy with our facebook wall!
Well, I for one am not around here because, uh... things happened ... sort of.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
tsa
Playing character

Hey Undeaf, nice to see you again! Everything OK?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Here's a question, not necessarily directed at you personally. I hear this kind of sentiment a lot from non-religious people, and to be honest, I'm baffled about why people express "admiration" for others believing in something that they don't perceive as real. Is it just me, or do I hear a slightly patronising sense of pity in such statements? I don't mean to accuse anyone of anything here; I'm just curious.
Nope, no patronizing intended. In my opinion, it takes a fair amount of intestinal fortitude to place one's trust in that which is by it's very nature unknowable. Or put another way, to have faith in one's "faith". I imagine it is quite a comfort during times of stress or tragedy to be certain that whatever awful things happen, there is a reason and in the grand scheme of things all will be well. I am by nature a cynic, and as such I am constitutionally incapable of such belief, so it's only natural that I would admire people who are capable of something I am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Incidentally, your description also happens to fit many materialists whose faith lies in science. Was that intentional?
No, but I see where you're coming from. The main difference between religion and science is that religion tends to say "This is how it was, is, and will be for all time, period", whereas science leans more towards "Right now, as far as we can tell this is how it was/is/will be, but there's always a chance we could be wrong. If you can come up with a better theory and provide reasonable proof, then we'll change our view of how it was/is/will be". Of the two, I can relate to the scientific outlook more easily.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #20
Freeware Co-ordinator

Interesting split between religion and science. I've always felt to a certain extent science is a "faith" of sorts, largely for the "we could be wrong" part of your definition. So many scientific theories have fallen over the centuries that, to have any belief that our current theories won't do the same is an act of faiith. Conversely, few genuinely religious people will claim a perfect knowledge of god, but their faith leads them to strive towards that goal.

Right behind you on the two ugly sisters of faith. Even when trying to persuade people to your view (and this extends outside religion as well) you should always respect their right to not agree with you.

Back on the topic, this seems a good time to offer a sneak preview of a futuer NNN that could have been written for this very thread.

Number 41

Nothing New

The torches they are all unlit, not one of them aflame
And every thread I look at, the content is just the same
It may just be that no-one has got anything to say
Or perhaps I shouldn’t sit here 24 hours of the day
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree