You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The General Recommendations Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default The General Recommendations Thread

I'm sure there was a thread a bit like this before, but I just couldn't find it...

Oh well, here's for posting recommendations and such for anything that you think everyone should experience, something that even changed your life.

And I'm especially talking about art forms outside of gaming: books, movies, music, paintings (or exhibitions). Anything that's meaningful and should be shared with everyone.

I'll start by a couple things that have opened new worlds for me:

Ottmar Liebert - German-born guitarist nowadays in USA, plays (with the band Luna Negra) a combination of flamenco, jazz, meditation music and all kinds of genres. Often categorized in New Age, but it's a genre of it's own, described by Ottmar as Nouveau Flamenco, which is also the name of the first proper album, from 1990. The music is simply incredibly beautiful and the man is a virtuoso to say the least. The music is just the kind that raises emotions and feelings, some of them feel just like (be it a cliché or not) summer, some are the type you listen to in candlelight. My favorites would be his two newest albums: The Scent of Light and One Guitar (which, as the name says, is him playing solo) and the first one: Nouveau Flamenco (I actually have the 10th Anniversary Edition). Not *exactly* mainstream, and I have to order them online (not a chance to get it in stores here), but all I've heard is just gold.

The Books of Umberto Eco, and especially The Name of the Rose and even more so Foucault's Pendulum - the man is the definition of a genious. And you can't say that the books are light reading - with often all kinds of siderailings on seemingly unimportant matters, but once you get used to it, that's just what makes him so good. He manages to include incredible historical facts and details into captivating stories told in unobvious ways. And when you take a closer look (or maybe a second or third read) at the books, there's a much deeper insight behind it all.

And let me just say about Foucault's Pendulum: it covers everything. I mean, whatever goes on anywhere, once you've read the book, it's like "hey, Foucault's Pendulum has that" or "I wonder how that binds into Foucault's Pendulum..." (the second one could be said better, but that would slightly spoil something). It has more derailings (I'll just use that term, I'm sure there's a better one) than The Name of the Rose, but I think that once you really delve into the book and the story (and story-telling, it's not exactly "the usual") they are perhaps a bit more connected and meaningful than in "Rose". Or maybe it's just that I've grown between reading the two books and/or gotten more used to the style of writing. It's without a doubt my favourite book and one that's even changed my way of thinking. The only literature aside from that to do that has been the short story The Dream of a Ridiculous Man by Dostoyevsky, but perhaps more about that later. As Wikipedia says, "Foucault's Pendulum has been described as a 'thinking person's Da Vinci Code'". The story is just ingenious, with everyhting from templars and religions from all over the world, black magic and subways, everything's involved. I can't say anything more, but if you can read intelligent text (as I'm sure the people here do), you really should read it. Maybe start with The Name of the Rose, it is after all a classic, but then Foucault's Pendulum is a must-read.

Whew. Well, there you have it. Those are the first and most important things that come to my mind - for a reason. And now I suppose no one responds, as usual with a thread I make

Last edited by UPtimist; 03-21-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Creepy Father Figure

Thank you for the Ottmar Liebert referral. Reminds me of when people used to make fun of me for listening to Charo instead of ogling.
Also will check out Umberto Eco, sounds interesting.
This might be old hat to some of the younger folks but I love Stephan R. Donaldson, especially the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I know it's the same cliche of a real normal person being transferred to an alternate existence but he just does it with his own flare and does not follow the same script of the others. He surprises me with shock, if you read it you will understand.
As for music I would have to go with Gillian Welch. I love the way she uses old folk-bluegrass styles and makes them her own.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I highly doubt my recommendations are appropriate for everyone, but nevertheless, here are a few things that have touched me personally.

Rainer Maria Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet is something I keep reading every time I'm feeling lonely and at odds with the rest of the world.

I'm a fan of Douglas Coupland, but I prefer his less popular, more emotionally mature works such as Eleanor Rigby and The Gum Thief over his best-known stuff. I very much enjoy the juxtaposition of heartfelt emotion with sarcasm and dry wit -- too much of the former on its own gets too schmaltzy, and too much of the latter comes off as hot air.

I'll probably think of some more stuff later.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Lazy Bee

Not long ago, while sitting in front of the TV killing time, I came across a program about the project 1 Giant Leap.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Through music and film, 1 Giant Leap explores the universal complexities of human nature. Jamie Catto (Faithless co-founder) and Duncan Bridgeman set out on their journey, recording musical jewels and words of wisdom with the cream of the world's thinkers, writers and entertainers along the way. The duo travelled to the furthest corners of the planet, to ensure immense cultural diversity in this time capsule of humanity at its most inspirational.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...05397808171867

This may be old news to you, but I just stumbled over it and I'm fascinated. I bought the CD with the music today (ordered it from U.K) and just might get the DVD too.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:03 AM   #5
tsa
Playing character

I think you all know it already, but Ted is something to check out every now and then. It's a website that features talks by experts in many different kinds of fields. They try to reach a broad audience by keeping the talks general and easy to understand, and giving the audience a good general impression of what their work is about. The last talk I saw there was from Mike Rowe about his TV show Dirty Jobs.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Life and times of...

As seems to be the trend with my threads, as I mentioned, this doesn't seem to be catching on. Oh well. I think it could be a really good help when, for example, looking for something new to read, or if someone knows someone here with a very similar taste (and then get new inspiration from them), so I do hope this doesn't just completely alive (well, perhaps I will desperately try to keep this alive myself, you can just imagine the pathetic attempts at arousing the interests of others (imagine with a Conan-style nerd-voice): "oh, look here! Look at this, eh?" (perhaps you can see that it's one am and I've been drinking heavily (one of those holds true, you can think which one yourself. Or I can reveal it later))

Anyways in case someone's looking for any delightful music (and I don't mean that it's all just the kind of light stuff that you might affiliate "delightful" with), I would very much suggest Jake Shimabukuro. It's sometimes unbelievable that he really plays the ukulele (and how he plays it), it's certainly not conventional... Sometimes it's of course an electric ukulele. And how fast he can play is just unnatural. And may I just say, he's done (quite) a few cover songs, and everyone I've played them to - no matter if they did believe it before or not - thought that his covers were actually better than the originals. There's stuff like While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Mrs. Robinson and, apparently, the whole My Life album (with 6 songs...)

Besides that, let's see... I talked about Dostoyevsky's Dream of a Ridiculous Man, which is something that I really affected me (which, as I said, doesn't usually happen all of a sudden to me) and my thinking. Especially in the beginning of the second chapter, wondering about, well, existence. I'm not sure how much this translation holds to the Finnish one, but it should at least be similar. Here's a version of it:
http://www.kiosek.com/dostoevsky/lib...iculousman.txt

Now let's see... Perhaps I'll talk about them later more, but at this point I'll just say, in television and movies, they're not exactly as unknown as the stuff before but the works of Jim Jarmusch, and David Lynch (for the latter especially Twin Peaks (although slightly variable because the director changed in almost every episode (the ones directed by Lynch himself were by far the best)) and Mulholland Drive). I said about Jarmusch in the movie thread that he's like a cross between Kaurismäki and Tarantino (in the oddness, not so much the violence), which results in something really special. And Lynch, well, it's brilliant and so-very-(ingeniously-)weird.

And about Twin Peaks, as I'm sure most of you know, among the best soundtracks ever. Which reminds me about the movie In the Mood for Love by Wong Kar-Wai, and to a slightly lesser extent 2046 (although with perhaps even better sondtrack). Wonderful, beautiful movies, with every shot, every detail so well planned. The direction is amazing, everything is just so perfectly done. And beautifully simple stories. And incredible soundtracks too, as I mentioned.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

I think this thread is a very good idea, but one thing id like to advise people if they recomend music. It would be nice if they had like a streaming link or a video to refer the artist too. As it makes it much more smoother to present a musician to someone than making them seek out the music themselves as it can take a lot of time if the musician is not that known. Sorry maybe I sound a bit lazy but I think it definetly keeps things more interesting if someone has presented a link that directly shows their music as an example. Like lets say direct links to youtube,myspace,official websites with music streams and so on.

Well since I felt like responding to the thread I suppose I should contribute .
http://andrewwarrenmorgan.com/audio.html (audio streams for a couple of his songs and if you have only the patience for one song check out "turn your collar to the cold")
Andrew Morgan makes in my opinion amazing music which combines contemporary music with classic styles. His music has all kinds of instruments in them like cello,violin, classic piano, electric guitar and the list goes on. What stands out to me is how someone alone can be so creative and make such epic and complicated but beautiful music. I suppose my classic definition might not be the same others. Another reason why I wanted to recomend this independent musician is that he is not that known and deserves much more attention than he is getting. May not be music for everyone but if you are fed up with the same ordinary uncreative musicians these days and looking for something much more experimental and more well thought music this is your guy.

In terms of much more than materialistic recomendations I would like to speak out to those out there who have always wanted to learn how to play an instrument (lets say piano or guitar). Often people put themselves down thinking they might be either too old to learn something new or not gifted enough for such. It is very unfortunate that many people think that way and I don't think anything should hold them back. I may be young by many standards but thats not why I picked up a guitar and started learning it. The reason for me was that I wanted to learn something new to master and get to learn more about the music I listen to by learning how to play it myself. Like you can also say to give something back to what has rewarded me so much.

If you go past those things that are holding back you will only end up rewarding yourself. To me music when it comes to learning how to create or to play it, is one of the most satisfying things I know in life. It doesn't have to be just within music ,but being able to master or create something is very satisfying and helps you to see yourself in a better light than beating yourself about that you aren't as talented as others. Playing an instrument and just experimenting with all of the infinitive combinations is like pure meditation at times where you are feeling either calmed, sad or frustrated. It is no coincidence why emotions inspire people to make music. It can be theraputic without taking any medicine or whatsoever.

So I recomend everyone who either beats themselves down thinking they cannot learn anything or those who are interested to start, not to wait any longer and give it a go . In the end you will learn to see that it's not really something thats only for certain people ,but anyone can learn how if they want to!. The point is, it can give you a higher selfesteem and enjoyement from learning something as simple as playing a piano. Sorry if my sentences are hard to understand as I am not a native english speaker ,but I hope the main points are understood.

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 03-28-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Life and times of...

COLOURlovers
"Color + Design Community for Creative Inspiration". A site dedicated to colors and the use of them, you can do your palettes and patterns using beautiful colors or just see what others have done. And what's great, the site is totally positive, you won't see anything negative anywhere (and that's a good thing). Of course also discussion etc.

I love it
Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Not long ago, while sitting in front of the TV killing time, I came across a program about the project 1 Giant Leap.
Absolutely. I have the CD and DVD and guess what, I heard that they're working on another (if anyone knows that it's already out, let us know). It's a terrific CD (and DVD) that most should hear and see.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #10
Life and times of...

Well, this thread never caught on but I don't mind! I can be stubborn, you see... Almost a year since the last post but here we go...

First of all, Kodo is a Japanese taiko-drum orchestra(?) that just blew my mind (almost literally too, since it can get pretty loud ) in February. Of course, I should've (and was supposed to) make a post about it then when the One Earth tour was still beginning in Europe, but they're coming back this October (for example in the UK, Germany, Netherlands) and they always keep touring quite extensively. Anyways, it's quite the experience. The drums change from little hand-held things to a massive (at least) 200kg pounder and it's incredible how much drumming can differ. It's really not just two hours of banging their drums. and it's nt just drumming either, there's a whole performance that's incredibly precise, visual and at times even funny. Just something that - even if it doesn't really appeal to you - is worth it because it's such a unique experience.

I'd link to some youtube clips, but they just don't do it justice. It's an audiovisual thunderstorm or something.

Going into books: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel by Susanna Clarke. Something completely different, set in early 19th century England (tied in with real events, like the Napoleonic wars) where magic that once existed has been returned by two men. It's been a while since I read it and it's something really quite difficult to describe, but the book is an absolute masterpiece. The characters are brilliant and brilliantly explored, the way the story is woven into real events is great and the humour in the book is just the sort of thing that you'd expect from something so very English (but it's not a comedy book). It's just really hard to explain but I can't see how anyone wouldn't love it. It's won a huge amount of awards.

Also, this was said in the "recent books bought" thread, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova I won't go into it in so much detail, but it's another masterpiece. About literature, good and evil, history, Dracula (in a way, not in the obvious way)... Like Wikipedia says, "The Historian is not a horror novel, but rather an eerie tale." If you love adventure games, there's no way you wouldn't like The Historian.

Both books are really must-reads.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
It's Hard To Be Humble

My tastes run a little to the heretical, so I don't expect anyone to go for anything I suggest.

STANDBYS:
Literature: The Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy (Robert Anton Wilson), VALIS/The Divine Invasion/ the Transmigration of Timothy Archer/Radio-Free Albemuth (Philip K. Dick), and From Hell (Alan Moore)
Cinema: Brazil (Terry Gilliam), Blade Runner (Ridley Scott), On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Peter R. Hunt)
Television: Farscape, Dead Like Me, Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes
Music: Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, The Beatles, The Police, XTC, Split Enz, David Bowie, Billy Joel, classic Elton John, Anthony Phillips.

CURRENT:
Literature: Actually, I'm currently reading old novels, so this one will stay empty for now.
Cinema: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Terry Gilliam), It's Complicated (Nancy Meyers), Whip It (Drew Barrymore)
Television: Doctor Who, Mad Men, Lie To Me, Torchwood
Music: Transatlantic, Thornley, Roger Joseph Manning Jr., King's X, Barenaked Ladies, The James Rocket.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
Random

Since this thread is more apropriated, I'll just quote my thoughts about Six Feet Under from this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Woow. I've just seen the last episode of Six feet Under. What a masterpiece.

This is the most powerful television series I've ever had the privilege of watching. It really changes the way you look at life. I highly recommend that anyone out there who appreciates truly original pieces of work that dig into you and don't let go... watch this from beginning to end, a couple episodes a day. A few weeks ago I bought the whole serie DVDs (5 seasons) and watched it in about 2 weeks. It completely blew me away. No television series has ever come close to as hard hitting as this. Alan Ball is a genius.
Several months passed and some scenes, especially the last 5 minutes, still haunt my mind. I can't think about another more significant series for me than this one. Highly recommended!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #13
Failed Birthday Elf

I have to recommend the recent film 4 Lions.

Directed by Chris Morris (of The Day Today and Brass Eye fame) it is a comedy/satire about radicalised muslim suicide bombers from Sheffield. Trailer here.

It's quite a challenging film, ranging from laugh out loud funny to serious and poignant as it takes an honest look at a difficult subject that frightens many people, considering both the serious and absurd sides. It isn't an attack on Islam or just made to shock people, but is well worth seeing both to make you think and to get you to laugh at things you might normally be afraid of.

However, it is quite difficult to find at the cinema even in the UK, but as it is made by Film4 it should get some TV time and a DVD release at some stage.

Well worth searching this one out though.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
kamikaze hummingbirds

I so want to see that. Chris Morris is friggin powerful.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 AM   #15
Life and times of...

I have to recommend something:
The free album Under the Rose by Ottmar Liebert and Rahim AlHaj (or the other way around ) which you can listen to and download (in mp3 and flac) here:
http://www.ottmarliebert.com/rose/
I think anybody who really appreciates music has no reason not to get it - it's the collaboration of two masters: Ottmar Liebert who is just beyond description (guitarist, of course, who I've already praised here) and Rahim AlHaj, who plays the oud, "the grandfather of all stringed instruments" (like his bio page says). It's just sheer beauty and brilliance from beginning to end and definitely not something you hear every day. A sort of mix between flamenco, traditional Middle-Eastern (and just World) music, jazz, new age, everything. Nobody should miss it.

(Edit): Also, if you like this album, I very much recommend The Scent of Light and One Guitar. (And after that, all the rest of Ottmar's music, of course )

Last edited by UPtimist; 06-13-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #16
kamikaze hummingbirds

Comedy podcast: As It Occurs To Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the website
As It Occurs To Me is a revolutionary stand-up and sketch show written and performed by Richard Herring at the Leicester Square Theatre. All the material for each show is brand new and written on the week of broadcast, based on things that have occurred to Richard, either events from his life or things he's been thinking about. Richard is joined on stage by Dan Tetsell, Emma Kennedy and Christian Reilly; and the show is produced by Ben Walker.
I heartily recommend this podcast -- for something that is written the weekend before performance, it rarely feels rushed (the first episode's the weakest though, to be honest) and the effort put into writing it rivals a lot of what is on television and radio.
Speaking of radio and television, the podcast's separation from those mediums means that it is unedited -- so, if you're easily offended, then you should probably leave it.
Best to start from the first episode though, as in-jokes develop over time; and you'd probably miss out.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/as_it_occurs_to_me/
Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I have to recommend something:
The free album Under the Rose by Ottmar Liebert and Rahim AlHaj (or the other way around ) which you can listen to and download (in mp3 and flac) here:
http://www.ottmarliebert.com/rose/
I think anybody who really appreciates music has no reason not to get it - it's the collaboration of two masters: Ottmar Liebert who is just beyond description (guitarist, of course, who I've already praised here) and Rahim AlHaj, who plays the oud, "the grandfather of all stringed instruments" (like his bio page says). It's just sheer beauty and brilliance from beginning to end and definitely not something you hear every day. A sort of mix between flamenco, traditional Middle-Eastern (and just World) music, jazz, new age, everything. Nobody should miss it.
This is brilliant. Thank you.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #18
Unreliable Narrator

I recommend walking around naked in your living room. (but only if you don't have housemates who'd object!)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I recommend walking around naked in your living room. (but only if you don't have housemates who'd object!)
WOO HOO!!! Seconded!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #20
Unreliable Narrator

Heh, I thought that would get your attention.