You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #61
Second Degree Black Belt

Thanks tsa and Jaz.... I'm glad that you like the pics. As far as the kids being well - behaved well that comes and goes.... some days are better then others.

Oh and the smôrgåsbord we decided that since we are having a party for the end of the school year then we would make that our smôrgåsbord, b/c all the parents are going to be there and we are going to show our parents what we learned about all of your great Countries.

Oh and Jaz we havent done the green sauce yet..... I think when I told the kids it was green they all kind of got scared... so we are going to work into that one.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #62
Stalker of Britain

Aww, that sounds so cute. Your doing a wonderful thing with the kids, Bulldog.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #63
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Thanks tsa and Jaz.... I'm glad that you like the pics. As far as the kids being well - behaved well that comes and goes.... some days are better then others.

Oh and the smôrgåsbord we decided that since we are having a party for the end of the school year then we would make that our smôrgåsbord, b/c all the parents are going to be there and we are going to show our parents what we learned about all of your great Countries.

Oh and Jaz we havent done the green sauce yet..... I think when I told the kids it was green they all kind of got scared... so we are going to work into that one.

Hehe, that's so cute. Didn't you tell them it's made of herbs? It's perfectly normal for herbs to be green. I'd be worried if they were *not* green.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #64
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Oh, I thought they were always well-behaved because of the whip you keep in your desk drawer .

Quote:
That's cool Bulldog! Hopefully you will post pictures of that too.

I had an idea: maybe you can put all the recipes you got from us online? Or is that too much work for you?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #65
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Aww, that sounds so cute. Your doing a wonderful thing with the kids, Bulldog.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Hehe, that's so cute. Didn't you tell them it's made of herbs? It's perfectly normal for herbs to be green. I'd be worried if they were *not* green. -
Oh yeah I told them that it was made out of herbs, and I told them that the herbs are green but it is the fact that the sauce is green. I told them that I wouldn’t eat it if it wasn’t green, b/c healthy herbs are green. And they all said ….. “ooooo but it’s green Ms. Kim”. So I told them that we would try and make the sauce and we would taste it on some bread. Most of them said “Well…..ok…. maybe….we will try it…..maybe”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Oh, I thought they were always well-behaved because of the whip you keep in your desk drawer . I wish

That's cool Bulldog! Hopefully you will post pictures of that too. Oh yes.

I had an idea: maybe you can put all the recipes you got from us online? Or is that too much work for you?
I will try

Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #66
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Oh yeah I told them that it was made out of herbs, and I told them that the herbs are green but it is the fact that the sauce is green. I told them that I wouldn’t eat it if it wasn’t green, b/c healthy herbs are green. And they all said ….. “ooooo but it’s green Ms. Kim”. So I told them that we would try and make the sauce and we would taste it on some bread. Most of them said “Well…..ok…. maybe….we will try it…..maybe”.
That is just like trying to get 10 y/o to listen opera. They're very suspicious.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #67
Life and times of...

I hope you don't mind the offtopicness, but I find it rather interesting that in USA apparently teachers and stuff are always addressed rather formally... "Ms." and "Mr." and whatever. Here in Finland it's always very informal.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #68
tsa
Playing character

Twenty years ago they started to call the teachers by their first names here in NL, without the Mr and Ms. I told my mother, who is a teacher, that that was a bad idea because there should be a clear distance between teacher and pupil. Nowadays we have lots of people here in NL who don't have much in the way of regard for authority. I think the fact that they could always call their teachers by their first names does play a role here. What do you think, Jelena and Bulldog?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:33 AM   #69

Here in Germany we still call our Teachers as "Herr" (Mr.) or "Frau" (Mrs. or Ms. There's really no difference. Well, technically there is, but "Fräulein", which is "Miss", is not really used any longer.). And so it was in the International School as well (except that we did have "Miss", because it was in English). The kids were referred to by their first names, and I think this whole order should remain that way.

Now in University, though, we students get adressed as "Herr" and "Frau" (and sometimes even "Fräulein". ) too, which I still haven't gotten used to yet.

-

Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #70
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Twenty years ago they started to call the teachers by their first names here in NL, without the Mr and Ms. I told my mother, who is a teacher, that that was a bad idea because there should be a clear distance between teacher and pupil. Nowadays we have lots of people here in NL who don't have much in the way of regard for authority. I think the fact that they could always call their teachers by their first names does play a role here. What do you think, Jelena and Bulldog?
My students call me by my first name and I belive we've adressed our teachers informally ever since I went to school myself and it's 38 years since I started first grade. So we've created other ways of keeping the distance between children and teachers other that being formal in the way we adress each other. My authority comes from who I am, how I treat my students and how well I teach.
We're a very informal country as a whole. I don't think the terms Mrs, Mrs or Miss are used very often at all other that in hotel and flight bookings.

This goes for Sweden anyway: I don't believe that calling a teacher by their first name has any relevance to the lack of respect some students show.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #71
tsa
Playing character

Perhaps, or should I say, most probably it also depends on culture. We are considered a very rude people anyway .
Old 04-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #72
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Perhaps, or should I say, most probably it also depends on culture. We are considered a very rude people anyway .
I guess we'd be considered rude as well since we are on first name basis with pretty much everyone and use titles (expr?) only in very official circumstances.

tsa, I have to say though that you and your father are two very nice men and not rude at all.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #73
Creepy Father Figure

Wow. when I went to school calling a teacher by her first name was cause for corporal punishment. Female teachers were always Mrs, Miss, or Ms and the male teachers were Mr or Coach.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #74
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Wow. when I went to school calling a teacher by her first name was cause for corporal punishment. Female teachers were always Mrs, Miss, or Ms and the male teachers were Mr or Coach.
Yeah, that is how I grew up to. You showed your elders respect and you called everyone by Mr., Mrs. or Miss. I just fined that the children make the connection of authority/ this is my teacher by using Mr. Mrs. and Miss. But then again that is the way I was brought up. I taught at a school a few years ago that the students only used your last name like "Mrs. Johnson".

Old 04-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #75
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

*waves hello to Mrs. Johnson and puts a shiny apple on her desk *

By now, the kids must be very good at drawing national flags! And how many times have you read Good Families Don't, bulldog? Maybe you can read it one more time at the end-of-year party for the parents too! But I hope none of them will be outraged by the story! )

From elementary school to high school, Canadian kids almost never refer to teachers by their first names... It probably doesn't even occur to younger kids that teachers even have first names other than "Mr." or "Mrs."! (I think it's a different story in francophone Quebec, though.) In fact, my high school's 50th anniversary reunion is this fall, and I still don't think I'll be able to bring myself to call any of my former teachers by their first names!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
In fact, my high school's 50th anniversary reunion is this fall, and I still don't think I'll be able to bring myself to call any of my former teachers by their first names!

Same with me! I still have contact to my old teachers, and they said "You don't need to call me by my last name anymore, Jessica. You can call me by my first name now!"

Also, I still can't get out of the habit of referring to people I don't know as "Sie" (formal), especially if they are older. If they're my age or younger, I say "Du" (informal), and no one really looks at me weird. But often at work, in choir, and other places, I sometimes still have to be reminded that I can refer to them as "Du".

-

Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #77
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I guess we'd be considered rude as well since we are on first name basis with pretty much everyone and use titles (expr?) only in very official circumstances.

tsa, I have to say though that you and your father are two very nice men and not rude at all.
Thank you Jelena. We found that the Swedish are a lot like the Dutch in the way they present themselves and interact with you.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #78
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
*waves hello to Mrs. Johnson and puts a shiny apple on her desk *

By now, the kids must be very good at drawing national flags! And how many times have you read Good Families Don't, bulldog? Maybe you can read it one more time at the end-of-year party for the parents too! But I hope none of them will be outraged by the story! )

From elementary school to high school, Canadian kids almost never refer to teachers by their first names... It probably doesn't even occur to younger kids that teachers even have first names other than "Mr." or "Mrs."! (I think it's a different story in francophone Quebec, though.) In fact, my high school's 50th anniversary reunion is this fall, and I still don't think I'll be able to bring myself to call any of my former teachers by their first names!

Oh yes... I have read the good families don't so many times that I could almost read it from memory. I do plan to read it at the end of the year party.

You its funny that you say that about kids and their teachers first name. When Jenna was about 3 or 4 she asked me what my name was... I told her Kim. Well she looked at me funny then she stood in front of me for about 30 seconds just staring at me then she said "Oh, i thought your first name was Mommy".

Some times i think your right, kids don't realiaze that adults have first names.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #79

Quote:
Oh yes... I have read the good families don't so many times that I could almost read it from memory. I do plan to read it at the end of the year party.

You its funny that you say that about kids and their teachers first name. When Jenna was about 3 or 4 she asked me what my name was... I told her Kim. Well she looked at me funny then she stood in front of me for about 30 seconds just staring at me then she said "Oh, i thought your first name was Mommy".

Some times i think your right, kids don't realiaze that adults have first names.

There's that one town, I think it was in Italy, where they had to have two phone books, because the old people only knew their fellow old people by the nicknames they were always known by, and the young people only knew them by their last names.

-

Old 04-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #80
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
There's that one town, I think it was in Italy, where they had to have two phone books, because the old people only knew their fellow old people by the nicknames they were always known by, and the young people only knew them by their last names.

-
That's funny that they would have something like that.... I have never heard of that.