You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat We have a new President of the United States

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
tsa
Playing character

Default We have a new President of the United States

Congratulations Mr. Obama!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I heard his speech with great pleasure: I found it not only very well written but also poignant and inspirational. For these virtues, and for some powerful images, right near the end (like the description of the old winter, with the blood-stained snow), I'm willing to forgive it a sometimes slightly excessive rhetoric.

A great speech for a man and a president for whom I have really high hopes.

Also, I don't know how such things work, but there's a chance to have a text version of the speech? Maybe available on some sort of official site? If any of you stumbles upon it, could you please let me know? Thanks!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Now the question is, what kind of pet will he keep in the white house? My favourite was still the alligator.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
kamikaze hummingbirds

He should get a pet rock.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Also, I don't know how such things work, but there's a chance to have a text version of the speech? Maybe available on some sort of official site? If any of you stumbles upon it, could you please let me know? Thanks!
Yep, here.

The text was already available before he had finished it. He knew it completely by heart, and he spoke it nearly flawlessly. The guy is an amazing speaker.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Now the question is, what kind of pet will he keep in the white house? My favourite was still the alligator.
I saw a little puppy he had bought for his kids on TV a few weeks back.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
tsa
Playing character

Obama may have some very high set goals for the near future, but if he even gets only 25% done the world will be much better than it is now.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The ending is really amazing:

Quote:
In the year of America's birth, in the coldest of months, a small band of patriots huddled by dying campfires on the shores of an icy river. The capital was abandoned. The enemy was advancing. The snow was stained with blood. At a moment when the outcome of our revolution was most in doubt, the father of our nation ordered these words be read to the people:

Let it be told to the future world ... that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive... that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet [it].
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

It's remarkable when more Europeans than Americans post in a thread about the new U.S. President.

Still, as the saying goes - cometh the hour, cometh the man. Here in the United States, the excitement is palpable; it really feels like an era has passed, and we've moved into a new era.

Last edited by Giligan; 01-20-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I saw a little puppy he had bought for his kids on TV a few weeks back.

Oh man, what a disappointment! I would have expected something more original from Obama. But it seems he just *had* to go with the recent trend and get what's "in" right now. Seriously, what's so special about kids that everyone wants to keep them as pets these days?

-

Old 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

I'm a bit surprised at how much other countries have embraced our president. It's a pleasant surprise though. I was not a fan of Bush, at all. I always lean liberal as far as politics go.

However, I do hope that Americans (and the world) remember, that while he's got a lot going for him, he's still, just a man. And every human, no matter how great they are, can still make mistakes. I hope we allow him the grace to make a few, since so many of us have put such high expectations on him. He won't be able to deliver on every promise. That's simply impossible. But if our Congress works with him, maybe he'll be able to deliver on some of them. Some, is better, then none.

I got to watch him swearing in The Oath Of Office live today at work. Some of the girls had the TV on. I have to admit, it was pretty cool. I do hope, he's given a chance to prove he's capable, before the negative press jumps on him.

It should be an interesting four years.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Creepy Father Figure

I tend to lean towards a very libertarian approach to politics but with the recent downturns in the business district due to a very hands-off approach in government I am more open to oversight.
I was not to partial toward Obama but I knew that I couldn't stand McCain so I voted for Bob Barr. I really didn't warm up to him till he made Jesse Jackson mad. He was a lot more centrist than he led on. He is very into personal responsibility and doesn't bend to others will. I cannot help but admire an upright individual. We may not agree on everything but we will agree on most.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Oh man, what a disappointment! I would have expected something more original from Obama. But it seems he just *had* to go with the recent trend and get what's "in" right now. Seriously, what's so special about kids that everyone wants to keep them as pets these days?
Er...

Edit: it's now half an hour later and I get what you are talking about!

Last edited by tsa; 01-20-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystGirl View Post
I'm a bit surprised at how much other countries have embraced our president.
Well I guess it's mostly because Bush's foreign politics was abysmal. And it's not only the Iraq debacle, but also his stance concerning the Kyoto treaty, science, AIDS... He was cocky and arrogant and uncooperative. Obama seems much more open towards other coutries and to realize that America needs the rest of the world to thrive.

Last edited by tsa; 01-20-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Oops I hadn't finished the post before I clicked Save.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 AM   #15
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Well I guess it's mostly because Bush's foreign politics was abysmal. And it's not only the Iraq debacle, but also his stance concerning the Kyoto treaty, science, AIDS... He was cocky and arrogant and uncooperative. Obama seems much more open towards other coutries and to realize that America needs the rest of the world to thrive.
I agree with everything but the Kyoto treaty. It put restrictions on all the European countries, America, and Canada while letting almost all of Asia, Africa,Central and South America to keep polluting. If something is to be done it should be Universal for all countries.
America is finally moving in the right direction on it's own while countries like China are basically destroying their natural resources the same way the US did in the 40's and 50's.(On a side note. Texas is the leader in wind turbine electric generators in the US. But also in coal production so..)
Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #16
It's Hard To Be Humble

Congratulations, America. You've made it through the wilderness. Obama may not get everything fixed, and he may make mistakes, but you can rest assured that he will give you responsible, ethical government. He's already suspended trials of Guantanamo prisoners. I know it won't be a flawless presidency, but I'm sure that when it's over, I'll still be feeling good about him.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I agree with everything but the Kyoto treaty. It put restrictions on all the European countries, America, and Canada while letting almost all of Asia, Africa,Central and South America to keep polluting. If something is to be done it should be Universal for all countries.
I agree with that but that was not the reason why Bush didn't want to participate in Kyoto. He was afraid it would hurt the American economy. Isn't it ironic that Obama will now invest a lot in 'green' cars and energy because that will create a lot of jobs and thus help the economy?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #18
A Servicable Villain

Totally excited! Obama! Let's see what he can do in the coming years. Patience is still the biggest virtue we've had the past years, and we shouldn't abandon it now
Old 01-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I was not to partial toward Obama but I knew that I couldn't stand McCain so I voted for Bob Barr.
(link mine)

Was it the super-powers?

But yeah, there's a very strong feeling of optimism around the world... Like it or not, US foreign policy affects us all and it's reassuring to have someone behind the wheel who is both reasonable and intelligent, who actually listens to people of differing opinions.

Obama's sense of accountability has yet to be tested but I have a feeling when inevitably mistakes are made by this administration we won't be hearing "I don't recall"...
Old 01-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Congratulations, America. You've made it through the wilderness.

So America's keeping her baby?

(sorry, that was the first thing I thought when I was reading that )

-