You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Desperate Need for an Art Expert!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Desperate Need for an Art Expert!

Sorry to bother you, but I'm in desperate need of an art expert.

In this thread, we're trying to figure out who painted this picture.

Someone can help us?

I'll post the painting also here, so maybe someone can shed a light on the mystery!
Attached Images

Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Life and times of...

Ouch.

Now, I guessed right that this was a painting from GK3 but while I do know a few of the other paintings there, stuff like this never really caught my attention enough...

At least I can say it's not a hugely common painting I did what I thought was an extensive search, but not being the sought-after art expert probably hurt my chances.

Now, there is a painting by Matisse, "Woman With a Red Umbrella Seated in Profile" that by its name would quite well fit the... profile, but first of all I can't find a picture anywhere and more importantly that painting's not really Matisse's style (the painting I'm talking about sold for $12.4 million in Sotheby's in 1989 by the way)

Last edited by UPtimist; 11-17-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #3

I found the same news on NYT, and I thought as well that the style doesn't quite match Matisse's.

Oh, of course you're right, it's the painting in front of Mosely's door from GK3
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #4

I believe I've seen that picture in the system shock 2 multi picture frames, or whetever they're called, and I've seen it mentioned somewhere in relation to the SHTUP patch what the paintings in that game are. I'm not entirely certain though.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #5

Try looking at a list of credits for the game, if its a famous painting I would think they have to list it for copy right.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #6

I checked both the manual and the in-game credits and there's no mention on any picture, but this doesn't mean anything, since they used some clearly recognizable Renoir and Monet's paintings and those aren't listed as well.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #7

My bad, that painting does not appear in SS2. http://home.att.net/~shtup/images/ss2art.png ( http://shtup.home.att.net/ )
Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
tsa
Playing character

I'll ask my father. He should know. Interesting question!
There is of course the possibility that the artists made this one themselves. Are all the other paintings in the hotel accounted for?

Last edited by tsa; 11-17-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Suddenly, a thought appeared in my mind.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #9

All other paintings come from very famous French Impressionism Artists. So it's unlikely that the game artist "painted" this one by himself

Thanks, tsa... Any help will be extremely welcomed!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #10

I think the painting is piece of a larger painting.But,i think the painting is Monet.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #11

Also Almirena (GK Forum Administrator) thinks that the picture is part of a larger painting. And you say that it's Monet... uhm... If only I can find a clear reference to this picture!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
Life and times of...

Now, it certainly is Monet'ish (or maybe it's just the impressionism talking) and Monet did infact seem to have a thing for parasols, but I'm not totally convinced (quite largely because I did a rather large scan through much of his works and found nothing... There's something about the pic that just makes my Spidey-sense tingle but I can't at all put my finger on it). The part of a bigger painting is probably quite a good hunch BTW.

Monet is still the best (guess?) I've seen so far though. Me it reminds me of Monet, Renoir and maybe Manet.

(Edit): Now, I forget, were there numerous paintings in GK3 by one artist or did they give each artist one painting? For example, I remember that Renoir picnic painting (in Gabe's room?) and if each painter only had one pic that couldn't be Renoir then...

(Edit2): Probably should've checked the other forum first, pretty much everything I said here was already discussed there too Oh well... BTW, this has indeed consumed a lot of time from me too. I'm thinking I should use some contacts to use contacts to use contacts and find out what this is... Too bad I don't study art history (although, maybe I should, I want to continue to study something different later...)

Last edited by UPtimist; 11-18-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #13

I'm going to check and then I'll report!

Thanks to all of you!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #14

I counted three Renoir, one Manet and four Degas.

Indeed no Monet, at least no Monet that I can clearly recognize!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I'll ask my father. He should know.
My father has looked into it, but he hasn't found an answer yet. He will try again later, he said, but he also had no idea.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #16

I'm starting to getting really desperate

Old 11-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #17

Your best bet would likely be getting the screenshot printed out and shown to someone at a museum or an art gallery. So, I think you should change the thread topic to ask if anyone would happen to be going to such a place in the foreseeable future.

Or have someone going to university ask an art history prof or the like.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #18
tsa
Playing character

I've looked for the painting a long time on the web, and have seen more impressionists and paintings than I know existed, but this one was not amongst them, unfortunately. I don't think my father can do better than me, to be honest.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #19
tsa
Playing character

Can somebody find out what Grace has to say about the painting? That might be a hint.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #20

I thought of this too, but unfortunately Grace only said that Gabriel has a thing for red umbrellas...