You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat 2d <=> 3D OMGF!!!1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 01:27 PM   #21
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

Actually it was released around last year. It was part of last year's Toronto Film Fest, and seeing as we just finished this year's...
Old 09-25-2003, 06:03 PM   #22
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

That's irrelevant. Independant films are rarely distributed everywhere all at once, and this one is no exception. For example, it is opening in Berkeley (where I live) in a few weeks, despite the fact that it was premiered at last year's CineVegas IFF (not Toronto's). It only had two major showings last year, one at CineVegas and the second at Toronto. This year it has done a much wider film festival circuit and it is only now actually beginning to make its way into many actual theatres.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-25-2003, 06:05 PM   #23
Liver of Life

I'm curious as to how twifkak arrived at the name for this topic.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:11 PM   #24
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

YES!

Speaking of film festivals, the Bergen International one is in a couple of weeks, and I'll get to see ALL the films I thought I had to wait eons to see.... Kill Bill, Intolerable Cruelty, Finding Nemo, Once Upon a Time in Mexico.....

I haven't seen the full program yet, so maybe Lost in Translation could turn up too!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:20 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkode
I'm curious as to how twifkak arrived at the name for this topic.
I'm surely it was purely because of all the controversy surrounding progressive technology in adventures on these forums lately... He just wanted people to read the thread.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-26-2003, 02:17 AM   #26
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I'm surely it was purely because of all the controversy surrounding progressive technology in adventures on these forums lately... He just wanted people to read the thread.
Nope, but that was a good guess.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-26-2003, 07:28 AM   #27
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

Need 3D glasses for the movie?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #28

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Either I'm less sane than I had thought, or somebody's playing a practical joke on me.

Somebody recommended LiT, right?

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-20-2003, 04:33 AM   #29
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Lost in Translation is a beautiful movie. I don't know what to write about it, but it was supremely good in its own way. When it was over, I left feeling incredibly gratified, if that means anything. It portrayed "real life" in ways that just are almost never portrayed on film. So much of the dialogue is just stupid seeming talk that rarely goes beneath the surface, at least at first glance, but the way its said and the context... its so meaninful. I don't know how to describe it, really. It's just a certain way that people often relate to each other that you just never see in a movie.
Spoiler:
They never say "I love you," they don't have to sleep together -- you don't WANT them to sleep together. It was very weird and very good.
But it's a lot more than that. My friend summed it up pretty well (albeit in a big of an exaggeration) by saying "how in the hell is this movie an autobiography of... everyone?" Maybe he just meant introverts, or people who are somewhat aware of whats going on with slightly off-the-beaten-path relationships theyve been in, or something, but whatever. If you haven't seen this yet and it's playing near you you owe it to yourself to see it. Sorry I can't explain what I'm talking about correctly.

Maybe this is why people (who aren't me) like Magnoila?

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 10-20-2003, 05:41 AM   #30

Magnolia is just odd. Maybe you meant Punch-Drunk Love?

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-20-2003, 03:00 PM   #31
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

No I meant Magnolia. A lot of people who really like Magnolia say that to them it felt especially real (for instance a people who don't particularly like their parents, but also clearly love them because they're their parents, and sort f because of that have unfinished business with them can feel really attached to the dying father storyline), or at least parts of it did. That's all I meant in the comparison. Punch Drunk Love was a nice story but it didn't seem real.

Old 10-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #32

I really have nothing in common with the characters in Magnolia, but it's one of my absolute favorite movies. I think that P.T. Anderson did an absolutely beautiful job writing and directing it. I'm not going to go off on a big tangent about it but suffice to say I love it.

Punch-Drunk Love I also think is excellent, for somewhat different reasons. I saw it twice in the theatres; that's how impressed I was.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #33
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I really have nothing in common with the characters in Magnolia, but it's one of my absolute favorite movies. I think that P.T. Anderson did an absolutely beautiful job writing and directing it.
That is also acceptable, and correct, and is why I like Magnolia. There are people who are Magnolia FIENDS though... and I mean that in as healthy a way as possible when using the word "fiends."

Old 10-20-2003, 07:44 PM   #34

I dunno, man. I'm pretty fiendish about that movie.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:13 AM   #35

I liked its ambition, up until the
Spoiler:
frogs
. I mean, Jeez.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-21-2003, 02:24 AM   #36
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I loved the frogs!

That's more because of the beautifully funny sound they made, though.

Magnolia, like the other PTA movies I've seen, kicks ass.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:11 PM   #37
peb
Colossal

I'd just like to support Jake's opinion on Lost In Translation and recommend you all go see it. I saw it tonight and it was incredibly good. Bill Murray was not over the top but yet incredibly funny. Definitely the best movie I've seen him in since Rushmore. And I think I love Scarlett Johannson more than any other actress. She was great in Ghost World also. The score was great with songs by My Bloody Valentine and The Jesus and Mary Chain. Highly recommended.

I have not seen Magnolia, but now I intend to check it out.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:16 PM   #38

I've been looking forward to Lost in Translation for ages, and it's finally coming to Berkeley in a week or two (I've no idea what's taken so long). I can't wait! I've heard nothing but good things. And peb: I love Scarlett Johannson as well. She's been in some great stuff, and her performance in Ghost World was excellent. Man, that movie was so good.

Old 10-24-2003, 01:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by peb
My Bloody Valentine
ooh, I'm just discovering those, they're great. Are the Jesus and Mary Chain similar?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:07 AM   #40
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
ooh, I'm just discovering those, they're great. Are the Jesus and Mary Chain similar?
Yeah they are similar. The Jesus and Mary Chain came first and influenced My Bloody Valentine. For the JAMC, I would check out Psychocandy and for MBV, definitely check out Loveless.