You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Second Degree Black Belt

Default My Students

Hey everyone…… I hope all is well with everyone.

As most of you might know I started teaching pre-k this year and I think that the kids are going to be great. I am asking for a favor from all of my forum mates especially my over seas friends. Every year the kids have two big class projects, this year we are making a class quilt and studying about different countries.

If you would like to help I’m looking for the following things……

Post cards – something for kids to hold, pass around and talk about

Maps of local areas (like tourist maps)

Pictures of the flowers that are native to your country

The names different foods that are part of your culture and everyday meals

Simple recipes that we can make from your culture/country

And so on…… anything that you can think of that might help me in introducing foreign countries would be great.

If anyone is interested please let me know. Send me a PM and I will send you my address. Please make sure that you send your name (not your forum/screen name) and your address with the materials so that our class can send you a thank you note.

Thanks so much
Bulldog (Kim)

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Lazy Bee

How cool Bulldog. We're colleagues now!
I've already got your address so I just let you know this way that I'll gladly contribute to this project. I'm currently not at home (we're on our way up north to visit my parents for a week) but I'll look into it as soon as I get home.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
Game Creator Hobbyist

I see that Sweden is already taken care of, so let me just wish you luck (and say it's a cool concept).
Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I think I'll think about sending you some stuff. Since I somehow doubt you'll be able to get your hands on some Handkäs, I'll see if I can find an easy recipe for Frankfurter Grie Soß (Grüne Soße, which translates as "Green Sauce". It's very tasty.), which should be something you can make in most countries where you can find herbs. (Though it might not work, since it's usually a Spring dish. However, I'll find something else nice)

And of course I'll also send you some other nice stuff.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 08-01-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
tsa
Playing character

I will send you some stuff from NL Bullsie!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

Can cover the lovely British seaside (actually there is a postcard company a little way up the coast that might cover more of the country)

I'll see what I can dig out for you.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Second Degree Black Belt

*jumps up and down with excitement*

Oh my gosh you guys that would be great....thank you all so much. Anything that you can send my way would be great.

Jelena- Maybe since we are colleagues now I can "pick your brain" so to speak for ideas?

Again thank you all so much ((((( hugs for everyone)))))

Old 08-13-2008, 02:26 AM   #8

Gah, I nearly forgot about this in all the confusion in the last weeks.

So I better ask, is there a deadline by which you would like these things? Just so I can get a feeling how quickly I should gather this.

-

Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
tsa
Playing character

I haven't forgotten you Bullsie, I just don't have much time at the moment. But it's still in my head, don't worry.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Gah, I nearly forgot about this in all the confusion in the last weeks.

So I better ask, is there a deadline by which you would like these things? Just so I can get a feeling how quickly I should gather this.

-
Oh thank you Jaz…. I am asking that everyone have everything to me by the end of November, that way I can lay everything out so after our winter break at school the kids can get right to work. Thanks again Jaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I haven't forgotten you Bullsie, I just don't have much time at the moment. But it's still in my head, don't worry.
I know sweetie, its ok…. you still have plenty of time. I am just grateful that you are taking time to help me and the children.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
tsa
Playing character

Hi Bulldog, I sent you a package last week. I hope it will arrive in one piece!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Second Degree Black Belt

Oh thank you soooo much. Next week the kids and I are on Holiday from school, so when we get back we are going to start with the materials that everyone has sent so far.

To the people that sent me things, thank you so much, and you are going to love what we are going to do.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #13

GAAAAAAAAAH!!! Now I *did* actually forgot about this. I was busy counting chocolate during the inventory at a local supermarket (earning some extra money), when for some reason it hit me that I still hadn't sent this out yet.

Bullsie, do you still need this? I was planning on sending you the recipe for a dish that is usually made during spring (due to consisting mostly of fresh herbs which grow during that time. Though these days you can get all kinds of fresh herbs from the Supermarket, it seems, so it might even be possibe to make it during winter. Or maybe you could get them frozen. Dried herbs won't work, though.), which I could easily email or PM you, but I would still like to try and send some of the other stuff too, if it won't be too late. By winter break do you mean the Christmas holidays? If yes, I think there would still be hope. If yes, I'll send them as soon as possible so they'll reach you by the end of November.

I really am sorry for forgetting this. But this really seems to be a busy time for me (for example, we had two concerts, one for each choir I attend over the last few weeks, the most recent one just this last Saturday. And the next ones are in December.) for me, and I really lost track of this. I really am sorry. Will you forgive me?

-

Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

If you still need some things, I can send Italian recipes (also for All Saint's Eve; we don't have "Halloween" exactly) and also Italian landscapes as postcards!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Bullsie, do you still need this?
That would be great if you could send me a recipe. The class and I were going to start on this project a couple of weeks ago and things went crazy at work, so we pushed back out date to start in November putting things together. So anything that you can send would be great.

* hugs Jaz* thanks for thinking of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
If you still need some things, I can send Italian recipes (also for All Saint's Eve; we don't have "Halloween" exactly) and also Italian landscapes as postcards!
That would be great….. we have started talking about places around the world and one of my students asked ……”Ms. Kim, what is that funny shaped place that looks like a boot?” I kind’ a laughed b/c they are four year olds and said well that is Italy, that is one of the places we are going to talk about.

So if you could send me some post cards that would be GREAT!!

Thank you both so much.

Here is my address –

<removed address>

Last edited by Melanie68; 10-26-2008 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Took out address, PM Bulldog if you need it. :)
Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
tsa
Playing character

Bulldog, I would have sent them your address in a PM, not on the forum itself. Who knows who else reads it?

Last edited by tsa; 10-23-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Oops sorry bulldog, I didn't check this thread again before PMing you a few hours ago! Still, I hope to get my box o' Canadian items together soon so I can send it in early November.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
”Ms. Kim, what is that funny shaped place that looks like a boot?” I kind’ a laughed b/c they are four year olds and said well that is Italy, that is one of the places we are going to talk about.
Cute little thing!

First thing Monday, since I already have to go to the post office, I will send you three or four postcards, and while I'm at it I'll write some thing for your curious student!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #19

I went to the Palmengarten (literally "Palm Garden", which is the name of one of the botanical gardens in Frankfurt. The other one is right beside it and belongs to the Goethe University, which I visit too. [you'll find lots of signs depicting a stylized face of Goethe all over Frankfurt. That's the logo of the Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Univerität [these days shortened to just "Goethe Uni"] , indicating the building houses one or the other department of the University. One of the hospitals of Frankfurt, spread out over several buildings including one for Psychology and one completely different for Children's Psychology. And as I said, they have their own botanical garden, which was news even to me [though I as a student of the university don't have to pay entry fee for the Palmengarten, a fact indicated on my student identity card.] .) today, to see if I would be lucky to take a few pictures of autumnal flowers, as they have an exhibit of that right now, but I must have either walked past it without noticing, or the entire exhibit consisted of Chrysantemums, which aren't really native flowers. They did have an amazing display of all types of Dahlias outside.

Anyway, the point is, I couldn't take any pictures of native flowers myself, sadly. Even if I had found any, I wouldn't have been able to, as our digital camera seems to be broken suddenly. But I remembered some flowers I can see if I can find pictures of, but which I wouldn't have been able to take pictures of in the Palmengarten myself, as they require *VERY* specific conditions. You've probably heard of the Edelweiss already (though they actually sold seeds for that in the store of the Palmengarten), but probably never heard of the Chessboard flower. It requires sour earth as found on wet grasslands, and is endangered at least, because for farming those grasslands get drained because grain doesn't like sour earth. I'll probably have to take them from the Internet, though, as I wouldn't be able to take pictures of them at this time of year, even if I did have the money and time to travel to the places they would grow.

Oh, and I got some nice postcards from the Palmengarten. I'll see if I can find some nice ones from my town too, and the neighbouring one which has the castle, tomorrow.

I'll probably also send off the parcel on Monday, if everything goes well.

I haven't found a tourist map yet, though, and none in English if anything. Maybe I'll find some in the Castle's museum, though.

I'll probably compile a list of the common foods around here on Sunday most likely.

-

Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Bulldog, I would have sent them your address in a PM, not on the forum itself. Who knows who else reads it?
Yeah you are very right…. I normally wouldn’t have done that, but I was being lazy, b/c I’ve been sick…..once I come home from the hospital on Tuesday, I will tell you all about it, but don’t worry. Anyway, you are so right about the address, I won’t do that again. Thank you for being concerned about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
First thing Monday, since I already have to go to the post office, I will send you three or four postcards, and while I'm at it I'll write some thing for your curious student!
Thank you so much *hugs*

Quote:

I'll probably also send off the parcel on Monday, if everything goes well.

I haven't found a tourist map yet, though, and none in English if anything. Maybe I'll find some in the Castle's museum, though.

I'll probably compile a list of the common foods around here on Sunday most likely.
That sounds great Jaz.

Thank you all so much for thinking of my students and helping us on this great big project. Once everything is finished I’m going to take some pics and post them you all.

*hugs for all*