You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat How frequently do you see a doctor?

View Poll Results: How often do you see a doctor?
My doctor doesn't return my calls anymore... 1 3.57%
Only when appropriate. 16 57.14%
I think I can sew that limb back on... 10 35.71%
Other 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
Iconoclast

Default How frequently do you see a doctor?

I have been rather ill with a serious infection the last week or so and have been in and out of treatment centers the last couple days. In fact, I spent four hours in the hospital today because I wasn't aware I was allergic to penicillin (It was actually dicloxacillin, but same family I think). I woke up in the morning with my eyes almost swelled shut and having trouble breathing. Lots of shots, IVs, and inhaling tube thingies later, I am feeling better again. This was my first experience with allergy. I had never had any to this date.

The thing is, I originally waited almost an entire week in absolute agony before I even saw a doctor at all. It wasn't until I could barely walk before I even considered it.

So I was wondering if anyone was as masochistic (i.e. stupid) as myself. Do you guys go the doctor right away or not?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:02 AM   #2
Doctor Watson

I wait for two years. If the pain doesn't go away, I go to see the doctor who tells me that "it happens".
Old 03-02-2004, 04:29 AM   #3
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I'm diabetic, so I have to visit the doctor regularly, and the hospital something like four times a year...
Old 03-02-2004, 05:13 AM   #4
A Servicable Villain

Maybe once or twice a year. So that's not much. But I could use a dentist right now, because my teeth have been killing me for the last 24 hours and it only got worse >_<
Old 03-02-2004, 05:31 AM   #5
Under pressure.

I haven't seen my doctor for years.

--Erwin
Old 03-02-2004, 07:23 AM   #6
Liver of Life

I'm usually very rare on Doctor's appointments but this last year I've been having a nagging problem that has caused me to visit more often than I would like...
Old 03-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
Iconoclast

I suppose I should have listed how often I see a doctor so it is more clear.

I have only been to a doctor twice in 13 years...

The other time was for getting chicken pox for the first time at the age of 27. It is much worse when you get it that late in life. I had complications that required a doctor visit. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone at all for that either...

I have only seen a dentist about twice in the same period too. Funny thing is, I have no problems with my teeth, yet all the people I know who get regular checkups wind up with cavities and root canals. I am of the opinion that dentists create some of the problems they find. The bastards...

As for the poll, it turned out about how I expected. I don't know for sure, but I bet most of the respondents are men. There is a theory out there that the reason men don't live as long as women is simply because they they don't go to the doctor when they should, and ignore warning signs.

As for my infection, I am finally done with the absolute agonizing torture I have been going through as of today. My wound no longer needs to unpacked and packed THANK GOD!!!!! I hope never to have to go through something like this again. The pain was unbearable... The painkillers were fun though.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:46 AM   #8
Doctor Watson

I don't like to worry. I'd rather die young than worry all my life.

Or maybe not. Something like that anyway...

I never take painkillers.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:58 AM   #9
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I never go to the doctor for things like the flu or physical injuries (unless I broke a bone or something, which I've never done) since my body tends to take care of that stuff pretty quickly compared to most people, but I have scoliosis which means I end up going to the doctor for scheduled checkups every year or so.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-03-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

I forget when I went to the doctor last time. Its not that I don't need to. I have some stomack problem but I am afraid then if I'll go to doctor he will forbid me eating tasty things . Anyway, I think I can handle it myself.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #11
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I never take painkillers.
I am so puritan that I need to break the pattern now and then. I don't drink, I don't smoke, and have never even experimented with illegal drugs. No one will probably believe that last one, but it is true. So I cut loose a little when I get a prescription about every 6-7 years.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:54 AM   #12
Doctor Watson

Good lord...
Old 03-04-2004, 06:21 AM   #13

Well, when your young you dont really need to go quite as often,(if you are in good health) Now that Im older, I have been going for regular checkups about once a year, and if Im sick, I go only if it gets really bad or I suspect I may have strep or something.
I did have a BAD ( not allergic ) reaction to arythamiacin once,and had to go to the ER, it was awful, so I cant imagine how horrible you must have felt being allergic. Im really wierd now about taking antibiotics, scared to try any that I havent had before.
Anyway, glad you feel better.