You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Quality discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Default Quality discussion

Okay, if a Borg Cobe and the Deathstar were in a fight, which would win?

(Extra points for the first member to post schematics!)
Old 02-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Under pressure.

What's a Borg Cobe?

...sorry

--Erwin
Old 02-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Okay, if a Borg Cobe and the Deathstar were in a fight, which would win?

(Extra points for the first member to post schematics!)
You are a freaky little man, you freaky little man.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

They have a lengthy panel dedicated to just this discussion at the San Diego Comic Con (well, they also discuss various other sci-fi ships and how they'd fare in fights). Granted, I didn't attend, but its kind of awesome that someone thought to include that the Con. Kind of hilarious.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-26-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Couldn't the Borg assimilate the Death Star?

mag
Old 02-26-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
This Space for Rent

It's been a while, so I don't remember if the Borg Cube's shields work the same way as a Borg personal shield. If they do, it takes a while for the shields to adjust to a cycling frequency of weapon fire. So the Death Star might be able to take it out in one shot before the shields adapt. If it's more than one Cube vs. the Death Star, I like the Borg's odds.

Whoa. I think I need to spend some time in a nerd detox clinic now.
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

Which Death Star?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:54 PM   #8
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I don't know anything about Borg Cubes. They're pretty small though, right, I mean in comparison to a Death Star? If a Death Star can blow up a planet, why not a Borg Cube? Bear in mind, I have probably seen no more than a dozen episodes of Star Trek from all the series combined, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-27-2004, 02:45 AM   #9
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
They have a lengthy panel dedicated to just this discussion at the San Diego Comic Con (well, they also discuss various other sci-fi ships and how they'd fare in fights). Granted, I didn't attend, but its kind of awesome that someone thought to include that the Con. Kind of hilarious.
Hahahaha, that's great. I bet there was a high turn-up, judging by the amount of forum threads on these topics that float around the web.

They can really go in-depth, you know. Even pitting the Borg Queen up against Darth Vader. It's really entertaining when you're bored.

By the way, this thread was wholly inspired by this article, which I thought was hilariously accurate: http://www.st-hypertext.com/misc/art...nfessions.html
Old 02-27-2004, 02:47 AM   #10
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I don't know anything about Borg Cubes. They're pretty small though, right, I mean in comparison to a Death Star? If a Death Star can blow up a planet, why not a Borg Cube? Bear in mind, I have probably seen no more than a dozen episodes of Star Trek from all the series combined, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.
I think they're pretty much the same size. Maybe the cube is a little smaller?

I couldn't find any schematics of a Borg cube, but I did found one of a Borg Sphere, does that count too?

--Erwin
Old 02-27-2004, 02:47 AM   #11
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
As far as I know, the Borg don't have to blow up planets because they can just beam over one Borg and like a mean little parasite he'll slowly convert the whole planet to Borgness. Sure, it takes longer, but it saves on that energy bill.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:17 AM   #12
Joop Sloop

Quote:
Hahahaha, that's great. I bet there was a high turn-up, judging by the amount of forum threads on these topics that float around the web.

They can really go in-depth, you know. Even pitting the Borg Queen up against Darth Vader. It's really entertaining when you're bored.

By the way, this thread was wholly inspired by this article, which I thought was hilariously accurate: http://www.st-hypertext.com/misc/art...nfessions.html
That was one interesting article Out of curiosity, how many closet trekkies do we have on our forum?
Old 02-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #13
Tactlessly understated

Sometime in mid nineties I was channel-surfing one day and found that Star Trek TV show with the rotating space station and that pug-ugly fellow with silly ears. I watched a whole episode; it was something about a chess-like game that draws actual people in or something. Well, then somebody walked in the room and I jumped up flabbergasted as if I've been caught jacking off...
Old 02-27-2004, 07:47 AM   #14
Tactlessly understated

... so, uh, does that mean I am a closet trekkie, or merely bi-curious?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #15
Puts the 'e' in Mark

"Allemaraine, count to four. Allemaraine, then three more!"
Erm. Yeah. So that's about the single worst episode of Deep Space Nine you could have ever seen. Pure, utter, sci-fi dreck.

The rest is awesome though, especially the later seasons. I suspect that you'd like it a lot. Especially the character of Garak. You'd love his wit. You shouldn't touch the other Star Trek series with a 10-foot pole though.

Ah, Deep Space Nine... so good. So good. OK I will stop typing, starting now
Old 02-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #16
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Did I mention Deep Space Nine is awesome?

Oh, crap.

I'm really going now.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:32 AM   #17
Doctor Watson

TV. Tylsävulgääri. (Notice the ä's.)

Last edited by deadworm222; 02-27-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:37 AM   #18
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I watched a lot of next generation, but none of the other star trek shows have really seemed worth watching, despite mareks repeated please that I watch deep space nine ("especially the later seasons")

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-27-2004, 09:57 AM   #19
Headbanger

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Do you mean the deathstar in Star Wars (big and round ship that can blow up planets)? What in gods name is a Borg Cobe? Something in Star Trek , or what?

This discussion is scary. You guys are scary :eek:
Old 02-27-2004, 10:07 AM   #20
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
As far as I know, the Borg don't have to blow up planets because they can just beam over one Borg and like a mean little parasite he'll slowly convert the whole planet to Borgness. Sure, it takes longer, but it saves on that energy bill.
Right. That's why I think they could just beam over a couple of Borg to the Death Star and start assimilating it like they did to the Enterprise in Star Trek: First Contact. Even if the Death Star then blows up the cube, it won't matter because it will soon be one giant Borg Death Star.

Quote:
The rest is awesome though, especially the later seasons. I suspect that you'd like it a lot. Especially the character of Garak. You'd love his wit. You shouldn't touch the other Star Trek series with a 10-foot pole though.
You think so? I've always considered DS9 to be kind of the beginning of Star Trek's downfall. Overall, the series was quite good. But especially toward the end you started getting a lot more really bad episodes. Fortunately, at that time DS9 had the whole Dominion War arc going on, and that was good enough to counterbalance their few crappy non-arc episodes.

If you look at them as a whole, though, I would say that the Next Generation was the best series. I liked the mood of DS9 better, and I really liked their story arc. But TNG had more really solid episodes. It was good much more consistently.

The only Star Trek series I would say was really bad was Voyager. That thing was just a big seven year piece of crap. Every week I would turn it on thinking it couldn't possibly get any worse, but somehow they always found a way to pull it off.

Enterprise is much better, especially this season with the Xindi story arc. There are still moments were they seem to lapse back into Voyager-esque episodes, and I just think, "What the heck are they thinking?" But again, overall it's pretty good.

Now that I've betrayed my Star Trek geekness I think I'm done.

mag