You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
The Major Grubert.

Default Bacon

What's not to like?

http://www.media.ebaumsworld.com/2007/12/bacon.jpg

http://incredimazing.com/page/Bacon_Flowchart

Eh?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Super Moderator

There's some very yummy apple smoked bacon at Trader Joes (I think they still have it).
Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Damn, now I want bacon, but we don't have anything in the house.

And the shops are closed on Sundays!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
Lovable rogue

Oooh, a bacon lattice, how nifty. I don't like streaky bacon like that though.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 02-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

That 'streaky bacon' is what bacon looks like in the USA, and when it's done perfectly like in that lattice pic it is truly yummy.

After seeing this pic, I went and cooked some bacon and made a delicious bacon sandwich. I save it for Sundays, my official bacon day. Mmmm

FGM
Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 AM   #6

It is true, English bacon is different from American bacon. American bacon is pork belly, while English bacon is from the back of the pig. American bacon is usually quite thin, and the English bacon I've eaten was always a bit thicker. I believe English bacon is known as "Canadian Bacon" in the US.

I like both. American bacon is easier to find here in Germany (and I'd even say most of continental Europe), both in shops and in restaurants. Much to my dismay you rarely find English breakfast in restaurants that offer different types of breakfast (like in the ICE trains, or larger hotels.). The only thing you find is Continental breakfast (though that is a *very* broadly defined term, as what people eat for breakfast varies widely from country to country. French people eat more sweet stuff, for example, like jams, while in Germany you have both sweet and salty, with a stronger tendency to salty stuff like cheese and sausage. The other option you usuallly get is "International Breakfast", which I have the impression can be just about anything.

The best selection of what type of breakfast to choose I found in Shanghai. In the normal breakfast room, they had a buffet with things for breakfast for any taste. Any type of Asian breakfast, International, American, and more.

But what you'll really rarely find is "English Breakfast" being offered. In the park near my university in Darmstadt there is a restaurant, where you can eat breakfast too. It's really lovely, especially in the summer (I am not sure they're open in the winter), as you are in the middle of the park, and can sit outside. I once ate breakfast there while waiting for my files to be processed in the application room (it's always fun to apply at a university for me...not. Because I have an International graduation, yet am still a German citizen, I usually always am sent in between the normal application office and the international if there is one, several times. On that day I had finally got my documents to one of the offices, and they were working on it and said I should stay in the area until they're finished. I gave them my mobile phone number, and ventured out.), and was delighted to see they actually had English breakfast, so I ordered some.

It wasn't perfect. It was as close as you can get while not in the UK, I guess, and I was happy. The bacon was the american type, as like I said, it's hard to find the other type in shops here in Germany (though I guess it shouldn't be to hard to get some from a butcher. But I guess since English breakfast isn't asked for that often, and the packaged bacon keeps longer, it's just not feasible for a restaurant to get the English kind from there.), and there were no beans or something like that (which was alright with me, as I don't really like the beans all that much.). There were some good sausages, and the egg was absolutely delicious.

But that was the only time I really found an English breakfast on offer anywhere outside of the UK. The reason is probably because few people ask for it in the first place, and I think the reason for *that* is that it's generally considered to be a very heavy, and possibly fatty type of breakfast, and thus just isn't popular if you aren't used to it. It definitely is more heavy than what you usually find. But what you find in hotels is also often much lighter than the normal breakfast a German would eat, which is kind of stupid. I was very happy while in England, because I really enjoyed breakfast there. Usually I don't eat breakfast at all, mostly because my family never ate in the morning. We got a breakfast bread from my grandmother for eating in the first break at school, which was enough. And when we returned home, it was lunch time. But in England, I really loved the food they offered for breakfast. In hotels I only nip at my breakfast, usually, because they usually have stuff like jam and nutella, which is just not my type. I am very happy if they have some kind of cream cheese, like "Philadelphia" (It's not really cheese. In German we call it "Frischkäse", which means "Fresh Cheese".), and usually that's enough. I couldn't always eat English breakfast, but sometimes it would be really nice while in a hotel. It's definitely more to my taste than the stuff they usually have on offer in the breakfast rooms there.

-

Last edited by Jazhara7; 02-18-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Hmm... bacon.

I prefer the taste of Canadian bacon, myself, but either is fine.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
tsa
Playing character

All those poor piggies
Old 02-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
All those poor piggies

Would you rather they be killed and their meat be thrown in the trash, instead? That wouldn't honour their death.

No, seriously. I am quite sure they are in piggy heaven now. *hugs*

-

Old 02-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Psychonaut

Old 02-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #11

No mention of diet coke with bacon yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Would you rather they be killed and their meat be thrown in the trash, instead?
I'd prefer that some dumb birds get killed instead. But, it's not going to get thrown in the trash anyway, all the leftover parts get turned into animal feed, industrial grease and maybe supplements. Besides, it's unhealthy.

If you don't want any of it to go to waste, collect or buy the lard. However, lard in stores is often preserved by questionable means, like hydrogenation or by adding BHA and BHT.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
No mention of diet coke with bacon yet?

I'd prefer that some dumb birds get killed instead. But, it's not going to get thrown in the trash anyway, all the leftover parts get turned into animal feed, industrial grease and maybe supplements. Besides, it's unhealthy.

If you don't want any of it to go to waste, collect or buy the lard. However, lard in stores is often preserved by questionable means, like hydrogenation or by adding BHA and BHT.

It was a joke, silly. I was intentionally ignoring the fact that if we didn't use the pig's meat in some way, the pig most likely wouldn't get killed by us.

Didn't you see my tongue-in-cheek smiley?

-

Old 02-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Flower bower bird

My mother-in-law, never a great cook to begin with, got a little wacky in her later years and would use all kinds of substitutions in her recipes. Her most famous was a BLT made with Baco-Bits, canned tomatoes, and Miracle Whip salad dressing instead of mayo on day-old white bread. She swore nobody could tell the difference, but my poor father-in-law, who couldn't speak much after his stroke, always let out a big sigh when she put it in front of him. When he came to visit me, I always made sure he got real ingredients, and he would smile and wink at me as he took seconds.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I always liked my BLTs with Miracle Whip instead of mayo but that's my personal preference. I liked real bacon and fresh tomatoes though.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
Flower bower bird

My mom would use Miracle Whip sometimes, too, but it wasn't my favorite. I often make my own mayonnaise, which is very good.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
My mom would use Miracle Whip sometimes, too, but it wasn't my favorite. I often make my own mayonnaise, which is very good.

I just wanted to say, homemade Mayonnaise is always the best. You, Ma'am, have excellent taste!

-

Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
Backsliding Pagan

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I absolutely craved bacon. Toward the end of the pregnancy, I would lie in bed and shout "Bacon!" to my poor husband in whatever part of the house that he happened to be in, and because he's the best man who ever lived, he would gallantly fry it up and bring it in to me. The midwife and doctor agreed that I could have it up to three times a week, and it was heavenly. Pepper bacon is my favorite.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
tsa
Playing character

I like the pure or smoked variety best. And my 'poor piggies' was also a joke; I don't have any problem with animals being killed for food. Having said that, though I like meat, I don't like meat in big quantities. That's why I never go to a Greek restaurant here in NL. You only get a LOT of meat and some salad and potatoes there. Salad is for rabbits. I want real vegetables.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
Her most famous was a BLT made with Baco-Bits, canned tomatoes, and Miracle Whip salad dressing instead of mayo on day-old white bread.
Eugh. I'm no traditional ingredient purist, I'm sure one would say that I go overboard with substitutions, but even I can't get my head around that sort of obsession. All that nasty soy, yuck.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I like the pure or smoked variety best. And my 'poor piggies' was also a joke; I don't have any problem with animals being killed for food. Having said that, though I like meat, I don't like meat in big quantities. That's why I never go to a Greek restaurant here in NL. You only get a LOT of meat and some salad and potatoes there. Salad is for rabbits. I want real vegetables.

That's a weird Greek restaurant, then. While I know Greek cuisine has certain meat dishes, it never struck me as having overly much of those. When I think of Greek food, I think of tzatziki, olives, and, of course, squid.

-