You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Twice Removed - A short story

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
How am I not myself?

Default Twice Removed - A short story

I met her at a convenience store - her bagging groceries, me buying push-pops. She looked like a fairly capable woman, 75; bagging groceries herself due to incompetence on the opposing side of the register. Her bag split, revealing a sea of Lima beans. Her Dunlops squeaked. I lent a hand.

Her voice had the range and timbre of a broken cello. Of the two, her's seemed more difficult to operate. She told me an interesting story; we lived on the same street. I let her know I would have remembered her, and in turn, she let me know I had a bad memory. Apparently shed even greeted me a few times. I was sad to learn Id never returned the courtesy. After loading her groceries into the trunk I waved goodbye, and that was that. I didnt catch her name.

The following week her memory cropped up a few times. She seemed so lonely. An elderly woman with Dunlops shouldnt be lonely. I wondered which house it was that she lived in though none of them seemed overly befitting. It was incredibly strange when I learnt that hers was the one which constantly blared heavy metal music.

This was the house I used to shake my head at, and mutter apes under my breath at. Id witnessed her enter. Though with whom she lived, Id yet to discover. I knocked on the door thrice, she called out twice, and opened it nice. It did not open with a greeting, instead, with the word boysenberry. I laughed, she frowned.

Butterscotch She offered gently

No thanks I replied, as she slipped one into my hand and smiled. She motioned for me to come inside.

Dilapidated relics from a bygone era cast a shadow across equally dilapidated, and somewhat concave, floorboards.

- I'll type up the rest later. Let me know what you think. -

Last edited by Glenn Epic; 01-23-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Not bad. One thing niggles at me, though: why say "esophagus"? Why not just say "voice"? I'm a fan of using big words to sound comically pretentious and all, but that was a little overkill, and didn't really seem to fit the mood of the piece.

Other than that, I look forward to reading more.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
JKR

Cool stuff. Obviously written in a that style for a reason (otherwise it would be a pain to read if it weren't on purpose) and I like your imagery. Nice work.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
It's Hard To Be Humble

Intriguing.