Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Would you watch a black and white film? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/2089-would-you-watch-black-white-film.html)

Wormsie 02-15-2004 11:07 AM

Would you watch a black and white film?

(Like THIS proves anything...)

Swordmaster 02-15-2004 11:13 AM

Oh, this must be the lamest poll of them all.

(But I voted in it, anyway.) :crazy:

Kingzjester 02-15-2004 11:22 AM

UGH! NEVER! Since I like Adam Sandler I can never watch black & white movies!

mag 02-15-2004 11:25 AM

Lame poll? What do you mean? I think this issue deserves at least one thread on every message board!

I'll admit that I do generally prefer newer movies. They are simply more interesting to me. I think that film makers now do a much better job of using the medium's strengths rather than trying to imitate plays. But I have watched black and white movies. For me it depends a lot more on the quality of the movie itself than what color it happens to be in.

BTW, does Mystery Science Theater 3000 count?

mag

Intrepid Homoludens 02-15-2004 11:39 AM

I LOVE the Three Stooges!!!!

Huz 02-15-2004 12:09 PM

No way, man. Black and white movies are for saps. I saw that 'Ed Wood' thing and it was the worst movie I've ever seen, so I'm pretty sure they're all terrible.

Garyos 02-15-2004 12:30 PM

Citizen Kane and Casablanca are soooooo lame.

BacardiJim 02-15-2004 12:36 PM

The entire rationale behind Ted Turner's colorizing old movies was several studies which showed that when people of the prime 16-30 advertising demographic sat in front of a television, they would automatically flip past any channel that was showing something in black-and-white. This led to further studies in which it was discovered that those under 24 replied almost three-to-one that they "would not watch" black-and-white shows/movies on TV.

It's the truth, no matter how much sarcasm you want to express.

Or do you think Turner did it just to piss off and alienate cinephiles?

Swordmaster 02-15-2004 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Or do you think Turner did it just to piss off and alienate cinephiles?

I wouldn't exclude that possibility.

:D

Intrepid Homoludens 02-15-2004 12:55 PM

But Turner doesn't seem to be much of a film connoisseur himself. What does he care? He's in it for the money.

BacardiJim 02-15-2004 12:58 PM

Quote:

What does he care? He's in it for the money.
Exactly. You just made my point. More viewers=more money. Black-and-white=fewer younger viewers.

On a side note, at least he has atoned for those sins with TCM.

RemiO 02-15-2004 01:01 PM

I've always liked black and white movies...

... yet I thought Adam Sandler was brilliant in Punch Drunk Love...

... so I guess I really don't like them anyway. :(

BacardiJim 02-15-2004 01:03 PM

Actually, Remio, Punch Drunk Love is the reason why all my comments about Sandler included the word "almost." As in "his movies are almost universal crap."

It is his sole decent piece of work.

RemiO 02-15-2004 01:05 PM

Good, then I can happily watch Gaslight today. *D

Intrepid Homoludens 02-15-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemiO
... I thought Adam Sandler was brilliant in Punch Drunk Love...(

This is because he finally got to work with a very good director and crew. Same thing with Charlize Theron. I always thought she was a pretty faced girl who couldn't act for shayt. Then she finally was given a chance with Monster and, properly directed.... well, you saw what happened.

Curt 02-15-2004 01:36 PM

Excellent poll, Deadworm. You have the right to post any poll you wish, no matter how crappy. Not that this is crappy btw. ;)

I voted yes, for what it's worth. OF COURSE!!!!

Although they did a nice job of "colouring in" It's a Wonderful Life".

Intrepid Homoludens 02-15-2004 01:48 PM

It's weird, but all the colourized movies I've looked at* thus far seem like cheap watercolour paintings. You know, the kind of 'masterpieces' for sale at the local art fair.

* I stated 'looked at' because I could never get past that cheap painting look to watch one. I'll stick with the original black 'n' white, thanks. And some jacket fries with that, please.

Marek 02-15-2004 01:56 PM

I had never heard of Adam Sandler before today, and from the comments I thought he's a director. But now I hear he's an actor.

Once actors are cast they have to accept whatever script they're given and try to work with it in the best way possible. But I don't see how there's something as an "Adam Sandler movie" if they're all from different directors? I mean, I know Punch Drunk Love as a Paul Thomas Anderson movie, not as an Adam Sandler movie (didn't even recognize his name).

DustCropper 02-15-2004 02:12 PM

Anyone see the Grapes of Wrath? Good movie.

Curt 02-15-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek
I had never heard of Adam Sandler before today, and from the comments I thought he's a director. But now I hear he's an actor.

Once actors are cast they have to accept whatever script they're given and try to work with it in the best way possible. But I don't see how there's something as an "Adam Sandler movie" if they're all from different directors? I mean, I know Punch Drunk Love as a Paul Thomas Anderson movie, not as an Adam Sandler movie (didn't even recognize his name).

Think Jerry Lewis (not the Lee Great balls on fire singer, the other one) but a hundred times worse. ;)