You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
The Major Grubert.

Default Magnet Fetish

Lately, I've been buying magnets. I don't know why. It all started with the Singing Monkey Balls (no, they're not salty).

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/8c94/

I finally broke down and got the Curiously Strong Magnets (rare earth). Wow, these are cool. See the danger warning on this page:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/770f/

These things ROCK!

Then someone pointed me to this page:

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

If you scroll down to the Supermagnet section (about 1/2 down), they've got this interesting warning:
THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT TOYS AND CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS! KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN! - THESE CAN EASILY CRUSH FINGERS! WE CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY THESE POWERFUL MAGNETS.

If you really need unbelievably powerful magnets, here they are.
Uses include magnetic steering of nuclear particles in accelerators, levitation devices, magnetic beam amplifiers, scrap iron separators, etc.
Beware - you must think ahead when moving these magnets.
If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Computers & monitors will be affected in an entire room

Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly considerable distances - and at great speed - to attach themselves to this magnet. If you get caught in between the two, you can get injured.
If you get caught in between the two, you can get injured.

Two of these magnets close together can create an almost unbelievable magnetic field that can be very dangerous. Of all the unique items we offer for sale, we consider these items the most dangerous of all. Our normal packing & shipping personnel refuse to package these magnets - our engineers have to do it. This is no joke and we cannot stress it strongly enough - that you must be extremely careful - and know what you're doing with these magnets.

Take Note: Two Super magnets can very easily get out of control and break fingers and even your arm if opposing poles fly at each other. If working with multiple Supermagnets, always handle one magnet at a time, secure it, then proceed to the next magnet
Yow!

I ordered the pyramid sculpture and the MagnaView fluid (scroll down for one, further for the other).

I've been told that it's perhaps not a good idea to bring these to work as there's a guy with a pacemaker only a few doors down from me.

They shipped today. There's nothing cooler than getting a package from a company called United Nuclear.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Computers & monitors will be affected in an entire room
Does that mean you shouldn't even keep your wallet in the same room as these magnets?

I know people that're trying to sell magnetically therapeutic products to family and friends and it's ridiculous & annoying. And probably a pyramid scheme.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat!the!champ! View Post
Does that mean you shouldn't even keep your wallet in the same room as these magnets?
Are you worried about credit cards being messed up or having the wallet fly at you because of the coins in it?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #4

Both.

Except I keep my change in my pocket right next to my set of travel-sized ninja stars and metallic porcupine figurines.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat!the!champ! View Post
I know people that're trying to sell magnetically therapeutic products to family and friends and it's ridiculous & annoying. And probably a pyramid scheme.
A friend of mine used to sell magnetic products. At the time I had huge problems with pain in my neck and also headaches. According to her this magnet ,when put at my neck, would increase the bloodflow which in turn would stop the inflammation of the muscles (not sure about the corredct expression here) and ease the pain in my neck. I bought one and slept with it attached at my neck for weeks but could not detect any improvement.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
kamikaze hummingbirds

I certainly hope, for your sake tha7yt feouyheworijuofurigh you dont have one of tiuewhidheiurhiuehose strong magnets near to your comotpuiuyter or some vegyurguery bad things could happennnrjkhiruhrp,////
Old 08-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
If you really need unbelievably powerful magnets, here they are.
Uses include magnetic steering of nuclear particles in accelerators, levitation devices, magnetic beam amplifiers, scrap iron separators, etc.
Cool. So if I, say, put a few of these in my pants, I'll fly?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #8
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

And make yourself sterile, too
Old 08-01-2007, 05:21 AM   #9
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal
Lately, I've been buying magnets. I don't know why. It all started with the Singing Monkey Balls (no, they're not salty).
Well those are not at all what I had pictured.

My grandmother has collected magnets from all 50 States, she also collects these decorative state plates, but I like to look at all the different magnets. She keeps them all over her deep freezer.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 08-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/8c94/

I have a pair of those too. They're made of hematite. I got them from the annual geology fair in my area.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

I ordered the pyramid sculpture ...
Minor brain tease: I got the pyramid today and put it together. There's 1 Nickel Steel sphere left over.

At first, I thought they just gave an extra, but the web site above says the kid should come with 15 spheres. But the image shows a pyramid that should have 9 spheres on the bottom, 4 in the middle and 1 on top. That makes 14.

Where does the extra sphere go?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #12
Lovable rogue

It sits atop the pyramid, as the all seeing eye.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-03-2007, 02:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
A friend of mine used to sell magnetic products. At the time I had huge problems with pain in my neck and also headaches. According to her this magnet ,when put at my neck, would increase the bloodflow which in turn would stop the inflammation of the muscles (not sure about the corredct expression here) and ease the pain in my neck. I bought one and slept with it attached at my neck for weeks but could not detect any improvement.
I'm very sceptical about magnets as therapy myself, but there's a surprising amount of anecdotal evidence about their effectiveness on animals. And animals aren't subject to the placebo effect.

We recently got a free sample of a little therepeutic magnet that you're supposed to tape over anywhere that hurts. The other week I got a migraine and decided to tape the magnet to my head, since the tablets weren't doing much. In a minute or two the pain was a lot less. Whether it was the magnet, or the pills finally kicking in, or some of both, I can't say. But I'll try it again next time, just in case.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 AM   #14
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
I'm very sceptical about magnets as therapy myself, but there's a surprising amount of anecdotal evidence about their effectiveness on animals. And animals aren't subject to the placebo effect.

We recently got a free sample of a little therepeutic magnet that you're supposed to tape over anywhere that hurts. The other week I got a migraine and decided to tape the magnet to my head, since the tablets weren't doing much. In a minute or two the pain was a lot less. Whether it was the magnet, or the pills finally kicking in, or some of both, I can't say. But I'll try it again next time, just in case.
I've heard a lot of people who claim to feel the effect of the magnets, I however can't feel a thing. Not even from the strongest one. Whether they imagine it, or I'm not susceptible to them remains unknown.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 AM   #15
Lovable rogue

I seem to recall an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit, debunking magnet therapy.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #16
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
An engineer I work with was just telling me about his machine and a previous job that you wouldn't want to stand next too for too long or you would go faint. It had a huge electromagnetic field and somehow affected the iron content of your blood. It had something to do with electroplating, but I forget exactly what.

So if that's true, there's pretty good indication that such fields do have some influence. Whether good, or bad, is yet to be seen.

Meanwhile, planting a magnet in the soles of pairs of sandals has generated much revenue.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 AM   #17

I have a certain amount of training in hypnosis, and would be the first to say that the mind can convince the body of almost anything. So if you believe in magnet therapy, it'll do you some good, if only because this belief allows your body to react the way you want it to. The placebo effect can be strong and beneficial, and is nothing to scoff at.

It's the effect on animals that's more intriguing, since animals can't entertain the belief that wearing a certain collar or coat will cure them. Some anecdotes may well be wishful thinking on the part of the owners, of course. But when you get measurable differences -- in racehorses, for instance, going from chronically lame to running -- that's got to be more than wishful thinking. So I'm keeping an open mind.

On a different magnet-related topic, whenever I hear the words "strong magnet" I remember this story from the Dogbert's New Ruling Class newsletter, from years ago:

"A friend of mine who works with MRI machines bet the medical salesman that he could not toss his wallet through the opening in the MRI magnet -- the one the patients' head goes through -- without having the wallet touch the sides. The In-duh-vidual's wallet included all of his credit cards, which were instantly demagnetised in the process. Although it cost my friend a soda, the snicker factor made it well worth the price."