You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What kind of food does your local cinema have

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #1

Default What kind of food does your local cinema have

In Australia we have popcorn, different types of lollies, potato chips, choc bombs [ice cream in a cone dipped in chocolate then frozen], also soft drinks. We have 18plus cinemas [not xxx cinemas] but cinemas that serve alcohol and a meal.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

In our cinemas we have pick 'n mix areas! and you can also get popcorn and buckets of m&ms and things.
I would recommend, if you ever go to an XXX cinema, NOT to buy ice cream.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #3

There's popcorn, hot dogs, giant pretzels, nachos, candy, and soda. Popcorn and soda is the only stuff worth getting. And I don't care that you get butter flavoring, not butter. It still tastes great.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
There's popcorn, hot dogs, giant pretzels, nachos, candy, and soda. Popcorn and soda is the only stuff worth getting. And I don't care that you get butter flavoring, not butter. It still tastes great.
oh man you guys in America get all the yummy stuff, I wish we had nachos, my friends and I [when I was younger] use to sneak Maccers into the cinemas.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Nachos with cheese, Soft Drinks, Water, Popcorn (Sweet, or Salty. No butter flavour, thank the gods. And in our local cinemas we got the option to get Salty popcorn only recenlty, I think since the summer last year.), Chips, and Ice cream (though I've never actually met anyone who eats ice cream in the cinema.).

Oh, and when they showed "Shrek the Third", they dyed the popcorn green with food colouring. That stuff tasted extremely yucky.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Popcorn, Soft Drinks and some candy.

Everything is insanely expensive and also the popcorn is mostly too salty and also not fresh. That's why I usually just go to some local market and buy candy from there if I have to.

And that's just local cinemas here in Vaasa, for example in Helsinki all the stuff is much better.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I like to sneak food into the theatres too, because the stuff they sell therein is far too overpriced.

That said, last Friday, I did purchase a frozen yogurt at the movies.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

sneek food in? As far as I know, they don't have a rule against bringing your own here.
Mostly they sell Popcorn (salt and yellow coloured, so I think it's some kind of butter they use), soda (both in bottle and from mashine), bacon crisps (exp?) and candy. You can either pick a variation, or buy ordinary candy that they sell in kiosks (chocolate and such).

I actually like the popcorn they sell at the cinema, I buy a combo (popcorn and soda) every time.

I would have loved to have Nachos with cheese though!

Oh, and one of the cinemas has a little cafe and sells alcohol.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 07-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
kamikaze hummingbirds

I think they LET you bring food, but it is FROWNED UPON
Old 07-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #10

Oh, I forgot, they also sell candy in our cinema. But only pre-packacked, Haribo stuff. And the special, cinema-typical sour Apple rings (also a kind of Haribo stuff, which for quite some time seem to have been exclusive to cinemas. But for a while now, they've been available in shops too. They're still have the fact that they're known from the cinema in their title, though. They're as typical for cinema as tomato juice is for plane flights, I guess. Except that people really like eating the apple rings even when they're not in the cinema.).

The stuff available in the cinemas in our town is at an okay price. The tickets are also quite low priced, even lower if you are a kid/have a student pass/university pass/disabled pass. The cinemas in Frankfurt, or any of the large chains of cinemas, are quite expensive, though.

I'd never sneak in food into the cinemas in my town, as A) I know the people in both of them by name (and one of them I know even better, since his family are friends of my father and my family), and B) They really do their best, offer a lot of service, are friendly, and still keep the prices acceptable. I know that every cent is needed to keep the cinemas running, and I won't steal from them in any way.

Also, it's an unwritten law that you're not allowed to bring your own food to cinemas in Germany (exceptions are possible, of course, for special cases like a kid with lots of allergies I once met when the Special Olympics were hosted by my school. The special olympics are for disabled kids, and that kid was only allowed to eat certain foods, so he had to bring his own food everywhere. I can imagine cinemas would have to make an exception for such a case.). You can basically bring some, and it is possible to get it inside (it would be very easy for me, example, since I usually have a bag with me, and they don't search your bag or anything. But like I said, it would be pointless since the prices are not much different from the shops in town.) with it too, but if the cinema people see you bringing food, they are basically allowed to take it from you or refuse you entrance.

But I really know nobody who would bring their own food to the cinemas in my town. I know that my sister's boyfriend used to smuggle hamburgers into the shows at a large cinema in his town, because the prices were horrendous there too.

-

Old 07-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
Unreliable Narrator

Here in Canadia, they actually won't let you bring food in. I believe it's the same in the States.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I can't imagine anything more embarassing than getting caught sneaking food into a theater.

Well, that may be hyperbole, but it'd still be pretty embarassing.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
The Major Grubert.

Crap. I don't eat anything in the cinema. I miss popcorn, but that's all.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Oh, I forgot, they also sell candy in our cinema. But only pre-packacked, Haribo stuff. And the special, cinema-typical sour Apple rings (also a kind of Haribo stuff, which for quite some time seem to have been exclusive to cinemas. But for a while now, they've been available in shops too. They're still have the fact that they're known from the cinema in their title, though. They're as typical for cinema as tomato juice is for plane flights, I guess. Except that people really like eating the apple rings even when they're not in the cinema.).
Those sound exactly like green Apple rings they sell at Lidl.

Not bad though, but I think that I couldn't eat much of those as they are very sour.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post

Not bad though, but I think that I couldn't eat much of those as they are very sour.
These things? They're not that sour in my opinion, not sour enough to not eat a whole bag. The peach rings are superior, though.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post

Yeah, that's the ones. I told you they do now sell them in shops. But here they usually put something like "as known from the cinema".

I really like them, especially if they're very sour. In German we say "Sauer macht lustig" - "Sour makes funny/makes a good mood".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
These things? They're not that sour in my opinion, not sour enough to not eat a whole bag. The peach rings are superior, though.
Eh, I've tried the peach rings. They're not bad, but I much prefer the apple rings.

I can easily eat a whole bag, no matter how sour they are. I've found that depending on many factors, they are more sour, or less sour. For example, depending on how old they are, the taste varies (I can't recall which one was more sour, right now) - Sometimes you have to let them age, just like wine. Also, soft apple rings are less sour than harder ones, often.

And different shops often have different manufacturers. Some of them make them more sour, some of them make them quite sweet. You have to know which ones are the right ones.

-

Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
I can't imagine anything more embarassing than getting caught sneaking food into a theater.

Well, that may be hyperbole, but it'd still be pretty embarassing.

I forgot to mention that my sister's boyfriend also used to sneak into the actual cinema. There was an arcade area in the cinema, to which you were allowed to go without a ticket. So he and his friends would go there, then wait until the ticket controllers would leave (they'd often leave already when the adverts just started), then sneak into one of the show rooms.

It was a large cinema, one of those big chain ones, so he didn't have a bad conscience from that. He would never do that with a small cinema like in our town (and it would be entirely harder here too, because one cinema has only one room, the other one two, and both entrances are easily visible from everywhere.)

-

Old 07-30-2007, 05:41 AM   #18
Second Degree Black Belt

We have popcorn, hot dogs, giant pretzels, nachos, Coke, frozen cokes, kid packs, sausage dogs and giant pickles...... and just about any kid of candy you want, like snow caps, suckers, chocolate candy bars, M&M plain and Peanut, nerds, twizzlers.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #19
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
I forgot to mention that my sister's boyfriend also used to sneak into the actual cinema.
What my family does is buy a ticket for one movie, then sneak into another movie after the first one is finished. Also only possible in a large theatre, and only when you're alone or in a small group.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:43 AM   #20
Freeware Co-ordinator

Not that we are condoning such behaviour or suggesting people should do it of course.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree