You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Getting a Widescreen TV for my gaming needs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
The "Sharp LC-42XD1EA" I referred to earlier had two HDMI outputs as well (the specs just didn't show it :-/). So far Sharp seems like the best "bang for the buck". It's gotten nice reviews all over the net. Any here that's got any experience with the "Sharp LC-42XD1EA"? I can get one for around €1500. The only drawback I can see is that it doesn't come with pixel mapping through VGA (it does pixel map through HDMI though), but that might not be a big deal.

Should I buy a better cable for my PS2 to minimize noise or will it be "fine" anyway?
The pic you posted seems to be the European version of the North American LC-42D62U
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #22
merely human

For my birthday last month I gave myself this 26" Samsung LCD widescreen, which I use for gaming and movies. Incredible picture, good deep blacks, sharp and crisp, a special picture mode for gaming, speakers on the bottom of the unit (though I use external speakers with much better treble and bass), 2 HDMI slots, etc.

As for the whole 1080p crap, it means nothing to me unless the screen is at least 40", so for now I don't give a damn and the image looks absolutely delicious (Bioshock is f00king lickable). Besides, when I game I have a habit of sitting closer to the screen anyway. I don't want anything bigger than this for the next four or five years, and when I eventually get an HD-DVD/Blu-ray player the HDMI slots are already there.

Oh, and it has a built-in thingy for over-the-air HD broadcast signals. I was specific about this (even though I just about never watch TV) in anticipation of all over-the-air signals in this country going HD in less than two years. All I need is the the special HD antenna, which can be found for less than $25.

Absolutely no complaints, other than not yet having the proper furniture to put it on. Right now it's sitting on my dresser, a little too high for eye level. The only things I need now are a 5.1 speaker set up and 5.1 headphones for late night gaming.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 10-02-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #23
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

That is absolutely the perfect tv.

One day I would like to own a "26 Samsung too, because I don't need a bigger one than that and I simply must own a Samsung tv as that is my favourite.

So congrats to you Trep about buying the best tv there is.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #24
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

How much did that TV cost, Trep?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #25
merely human

Found it on Amazon for about $700. They ship it free if you sign up for a one month free trial to their club (make sure you cancel the membership the next day or so or they'll charge you $75). They have other similar Samsung models for cheaper but mine is the newest model (avoid the ones with side speakers).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #26
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

TV like that costs about 899€ around here, always the people in USA get stuff cheaper...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #27
merely human

HDTVs should be gradually going down in price the more ubiquitous they become. Already some companies abandoned making analog sets, they're no longer profitable.

I did a huge amount of homework deciding which brand and model to get. I also had a tight budget and though I ended up spending more than I planned I'm so very happy with what I got. My TV before was a tiny 15" non-widescreen Magnavox LCD. I was originally set on upgrading to a 23" but decided it wasn't enough of a difference so waited a little longer til I had some more money.

By choice we don't have cable here (we'd never watch it) so watching broadcast stuff isn't important to me. But immersive gaming and catching up on films are. But I still wanted to be able to receive over-the-air HD signals if there's anything I happen to want to watch and this Samsung model includes a tuner for it:

Quote:
The transition from standard definition analog television to high-definition has been compared to the transition of black and white to color television: HDTV is expected to become the new standard. The government mandated a conversion from the current analog airwaves in the early 1990s to a much improved, efficient digital delivery system that is taking shape today. Televisions being sold are capable of displaying the digital signals produced by broadcasters like ABC.

The federal government (through the Federal Communications Commission) mandated that all TV signals will be delivered by the year 2009 when the analog spectrum will be turned off. (The actual date is currently set for 2/17/2009). Digital signals are transmitted using computer code -- ones and zeroes -- which means they are less susceptible to interference and provide a higher quality picture and sound than analog.
http://abc.go.com/site/hdtvfaq.html
Old 10-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #28
Psychonaut

I can vouch for the Samsung.

Got a 32" Samsung and it is superb on the Game consoles and everything else.

Blu-Ray discs look amazing.