You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Sam & Max: Freelance Police animated series heading to DVD!?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Sam & Max: Freelance Police animated series heading to DVD!?!?!

Yes, according to the following story at tvshowsondvd.com, the shortlived, but classic Sam&Max animated series from the 90's is on it's way to dvd!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7479

Quote:
Who wants Sam & Max: Freelance Police on DVD? Do you want to Shout! for it?

The folks at Shout! Factory are prepping a set, according to these posts at their online forum community:
YoshiAngemon: Say, I know Nelvana has the rights to this show, but I wonder if you'd be willing to release it on DVD. Maybe you can get Steve Purcell, the creator of that pair of comical heroes made up of the dog wearing the suit, and the episodic, psychotic lagomorph, involved in the production of such. I'm sure it would be a good idea! Then again, what hasn't?
B Ward: Hmmm... You may be onto something there. *hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink*
Spelunker88: It was a long time ago since I've last seen it if I've seen it at all. I checked wikipedia (inaccurate I know) and there lists 24 episodes. Shouldn't it have 26 episodes? I'm actually confused around here.
B Ward: Actually, the majority of full-length seasons are only 22 episodes. There are some notable exceptions, of course. In the case of Sam & Max: Freelance Police, there were only 13 half-hour episodes. Don't get excited... I know what you're thinking. All but two of these episodes (the first and last) were split up into two cartoons a piece. Therefore, the total number of stories is 24 spread out over 13 episodes. Oh, and by the way... We're developing this title's box set right now. Tee hee... P.S.-- That's right. I said it. "Tee hee."
Brian Ward is a Producer and Manager of DVD and Home video at Shout! Factory. We requested comments about this, especially hoping to get a release timeframe, but we did not receive a reply in time for our deadline. That's okay, we'll leave them alone and let them get work done on this set, which is the important thing, right? Our thanks to reader "McDeuly" for the heads up about those posts! Stay tuned and we'll keep you informed about any developments we become aware of.

(This story almost should go the Adventure category, but I'm putting it to Chit Chat for now, mods can change it if they want to. )
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

I think it's okay in Chit Chat since we're talking about the TV show, not games.

This story is based on a cryptic remark one of the Shout Factory people made on their forum -- I wouldn't take that as confirmation just yet. Still, it'll be exciting if it's true.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
The Reggienator

Default Sam'n Max tv show dvd news again!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7891

Sounds good! Come on Shout! Factory, I know you can do it!

EDIT: Thanks for the mod who moved my post, I knew this thread was somewhere on these forums.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 08-21-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

That reminds me, my cousin saw the Sam & Max poster I keep in my bedroom last week, and was like "hey, wasn't that a TV show?"
Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

One of the people from Shout Factory is posting over in this thread.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Lovable rogue

I remain cynical about the likihood of this DVD seeing the light of day, outside of region 1 anytime soon.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 08-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
I remain cynical about the likihood of this DVD seeing the light of day, outside of region 1 anytime soon.
This is what multi-region DVD players and importing via the internet are for.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Headbanger

Quote:
Hmm, for some reason I thought you were talking about the games here.

Last edited by Henke; 09-02-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
The Reggienator

More great news for everyone!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=8029

Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 AM   #10
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
When asked about making it region free, Brian Ward (the guy from Shout Factory posting in the Telltale forums) answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bward
It could happen. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #11

Just use VLC media player. It laughs in the face of regions.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #12
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Just use VLC media player. It laughs in the face of regions.
That depends on the drive. I'm not buying anything that won't run in region 2. I don't know if my current drive would play it, but even if it would, it's likely my future computer won't be able to play it and then I'm left with an expensive coaster.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #13

Interesting. Sometimes there's no choice though and a thing you really want to get is only available in another region. Really it's like they want people to pirate these things. Region encoding is an archaic system that has no place in an international world.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #14
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
When asked about making it region free, Brian Ward (the guy from Shout Factory posting in the Telltale forums) answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bward
It could happen. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
I was just browsing the Telltale store, and the Freelance Police DVDs are on sale there right now, and they are in fact region free. What a pleasant turn of events.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Game Creator Hobbyist

Good news.

Now the only remaining question is if I should order one.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:01 AM   #16
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

The solution to Regions is living in (continental) Europe (or Japan), where you can buy Region free/Region 0 DVD players in the shops, so you don't have to import them.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Is the show itself any good? I think I watched a little bit of it when I was younger, but I don't remember it being all that remarkable.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #18
The Reggienator

The dvd box set is really great!

The show itself is not that excellent, but it's still quite nice and the box set was "almost free" because I ordered it from North America where dollar has no value anymore.