You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Biggest delusion about your country/area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #101
Lovable rogue

Swimming trunks.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #102
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I don't see many in Norway wearing those.. Most wear either normal shorts or the long version that goes down to the knee (they also wear these regularly, in town and such. Then it's mostly the long variant, either the swimming version, or a denim version). It's mostly old men that wear speedos..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #103
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
Speaking of bikinis and beaches, do European men wear speedos or shorts to the beach? The stereotype I've heard in the states is that they wear speedos, which we think is odd because we wear shorts.
FUnny, the stereotype I've got through American sitcoms is that in America people wear shorts - and they regard men who wear speedos as gay, which I think is funny and typically American.

I prefer speedos myself, and in all swimming halls in Finland wearing shorts is prohibited - because people tend to wear the same shorts outside as they wear on the beach, so the swimming hall might get sand and other dirt in it and they don't want that. So in swimming halls you see speedos, on the beach most people wear shorts because they are more practical and "appropriate" there, though it's not uncommon or wrong to wear speedos.

EDIT: On the other hand, the subject of "hmm, what will I wear for beach today" doesn't come up often in Finland with our -20 degrees Celsius winters... Finland doesn't really have many beaches anyway. Swimming in some distant countryside lake with your friends (male and female) in the nude is also not uncommon.

Last edited by Wormsie; 06-11-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #104
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Speedo is a brand. It's similar to how Americans refer to tissues as "Kleenex."
Ah ok that makes sense. I first thought the term shared a somewhat weird connectioin with the term "speed" in some way and some other, but I couldn't quite figure it out what it was.

I don't see many people my age and below wearing speedos, and even if I'd feel comfortable wearing them, I'd probably still think they're.. not all that cool at all. Had them as a kiddo though (age 12 and below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
Another misconception about the South is that most men wear cowboy boots, Stetson hats, dusters and tight Wrangler jeans.
Damn sure, in modern Southern societies it's the WOMEN wearing those.. Right?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #105
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
FUnny, the stereotype I've got through American sitcoms is that in America people wear shorts - and they regard men who wear speedos as gay, which I think is funny and typically American.
It's not uncommon where I live for young people to wear shorts when casually dressed--I have several pairs hanging in my closet right now.

Really it's quite necessary for comfort in the Florida heat (even cotton trousers can get overly warm) so no one my age thinks much of it. However, the older a person is, the less likely he'll be wearing shorts. Most elderly people wear light trousers, and you certainly can't wear shorts to the office.

I see a vast amount of difference between shorts and Speedos myself. A standard pair of men's shorts goes down to just above the knee, about the same as a pair of swim trunks.

Most Americans think speedos especially show too much skin, a factor exacerbated by the fact that the people wearing them are often older males. Which is why we don't have a problem with about the same amount of cloth for nubile females.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #106

Speedos are very Australia, all our surflife savers wear them, I guest cause they are an Australian invention. But most of surfies wear the boardies.I get annoy with the idea that all our aussie men are big burly bronzed hunks, can tell you right away that aint true.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #107
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Another misconception about the South is that most men wear cowboy boots, Stetson hats, dusters and tight Wrangler jeans.
You mean they don't? Darn. *crosses off the South as a place to go ogle the fellas*

As for Speedos, my ex-roommate wears them sometimes, but he's a diver. And he also has nice legs.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 06-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #108
The Major Grubert.

Tits. America is big tit heppy, and I don't get it. Big tits are okay, if you have them, but if you don't, time for augmentation! I hate that shit.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
As for the noodles in Chili, it sounds like you're referring to classic Cincinnati chili. Not only do they put noodles in, they also add chocolate. The Three Way is actually pretty tasty, but then a Texan would never admit that.
Colin wants to visit Cincinnati some day SPECIFICALLY to try a plate of Five-Way Chilli.

According to my cookbook, to be properly made it must be layered on an oval plate:
Bottom layer -- spaghetti or similar noodles, the thickest you can find
Then chilli (without beans)
Then kidney beans
Then chopped onions
Then grated cheddar cheese on top, covering the whole pile and patted down into a neat mound.

I said I'd try making some if he really wanted it, but he said no, it's only proper if you go to Cincinnati for it.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #110
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Damn sure, in modern Southern societies it's the WOMEN wearing those.. Right?
Teehee…..sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
You mean they don't? Darn. *crosses off the South as a place to go ogle the fellas*
Oh no they still wear all that stuff, so please do come ogle the guys.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 06-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #111
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
Colin wants to visit Cincinnati some day SPECIFICALLY to try a plate of Five-Way Chilli.

According to my cookbook, to be properly made it must be layered on an oval plate:
Then kidney beans
Then chopped onions
Then grated cheddar cheese on top, covering the whole pile and patted down into a neat mound.

I said I'd try making some if he really wanted it, but he said no, it's only proper if you go to Cincinnati for it.

When you came to the Cheese, I had to immediately think of Poutine.

My Canadian French teacher used to tell us about that as if it was the food of the gods...and I find, it does sound tasty.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #112
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
It's not uncommon where I live for young people to wear shorts when casually dressed--I have several pairs hanging in my closet right now.
People do wear shorts here in Europe as well, I just meant as beach/swimwear. For a warm summer day I would definitely dress in shorts, not speedos.

Quote:
Most Americans think speedos especially show too much skin, a factor exacerbated by the fact that the people wearing them are often older males. Which is why we don't have a problem with about the same amount of cloth for nubile females.
I think it's a shame the nubile males don't get to show off their skin...

Last edited by Wormsie; 06-12-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #113
Lovable rogue

Maybe you could start a new trend...

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #114
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post

Then kidney beans
Then chopped onions

Don't forget the oyster crackers. Can't have Cincinnati chili without oyster crackers. He might also enjoy an inverted five way, which puts the cheese on the bottom instead of the top.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:47 AM   #115
Second Degree Black Belt

Oyster crackers ..... I loved those growing up. When I was little, when we would go out for dinner, I would order something that I knew those little crackers would go with so I could eat them. Oh yummy

Old 06-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #116
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Another misconception about the South is that most men wear cowboy boots, Stetson hats, dusters and tight Wrangler jeans. Oh yeah, and wear big belt buckles and have Copenhagen snuff rings in their back pocket. Some of that is true but it is mostly on farms.
Cowboy boots- A few do, but many more wear work boots.

Stetson hats- Not often, as they're too hot. Some guys wear straw cowboy hats, but baseball caps are much more common.

Dusters- They had a brief period of popularity here until people found out how hot they are. If you want to see guys wearing dusters, watch a Spaghetti Western.

Tight Wrangler jeans- A handful of very thin guys look good in Wranglers, but everyone else prefers Levis.

Big belt buckles- These were never "in style" in the South. If you wear one here, you'll be laughed at. Openly.

...have Copenhagen snuff rings in their back pocket- Sadly, that one's true.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #117
Under pressure.

Snuff rings? What's that?

--Erwin
Old 06-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #118
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Snuff rings? What's that?

--Erwin
Most snuff in the US comes in circular containers about 8 cm across and 3 cm high, and when regularly carried in the back pocket of blue jeans these containers cause a circular ring of greater wear to appear on the fabric.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #119
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Cowboy boots- A few do, but many more wear work boots.

Stetson hats- Not often, as they're too hot. Some guys wear straw cowboy hats, but baseball caps are much more common.

Dusters- They had a brief period of popularity here until people found out how hot they are. If you want to see guys wearing dusters, watch a Spaghetti Western.

Tight Wrangler jeans- A handful of very thin guys look good in Wranglers, but everyone else prefers Levis.

Big belt buckles- These were never "in style" in the South. If you wear one here, you'll be laughed at. Openly.

...have Copenhagen snuff rings in their back pocket- Sadly, that one's true.

Really? I see all of those things above on a daily bases, I guess b/c there is still a lot of farm land around here. The dusters of course you don't see those much except in the winter when it cooler.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #120

I saw plenty of ginormous belt buckles in Texas, but not so much in the "real" south.

What's a duster? (Apart from something you clean the furniture with.)