You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Biggest delusion about your country/area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #81
Friendly Server Admin

Even in San Diego, though, it's pretty cold for casual swimming. You have to be pretty dedicated to get out there. Now, once you get down into southern Mexico, it's pretty nice
Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #82
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

This all reminds me of another common misconception about New England... namely that it's bitter cold and snows like hell for 3/4 of the year.

...wait, that's not a misconception. Never mind.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #83
capsized.

Hm, Malibu is quite a bit North from San Diego actually, innit?

Jelena, let's get our bikinis ready, we'll show 'em!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #84
Lazy Bee

Sam, if you put on a bikini, I promise I will too.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #85
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian View Post
I'm in California, and most people are surprised when I tell them that I get snow here in the winter (a couple of years ago, in fact, we had nearly a foot of snow at one point).
That's almost as surprised as people get when I tell them I live in an area of Canada where it only snows about a couple of days every year (and rains pretty much the rest of the winter). Apparently, we're all supposed to be living in igloos and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
And I'll wear one of these t-shirts:

Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #86
capsized.

Quote:
I'd be careful with making such a promise, half-joking or not. Especially since I'm certain you're definitely not the kind of person who breaks them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
And I'll wear one of these t-shirts:
*GASP* IT'S A DEAL!

Is anybody here from Luxembourg? Or works there or something? I'd like to know if the second entry in the "Star Wars" series is really called something like "Dat Imerpium bollert redour" in Luxembourg or if that's just a mystical joke.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #87
OUATIJ Creator

One misconception about Texas is that our state is the only one legally allowed to fly the state flag at the same height as the American flag. That's not true, though I would imagine we actually do it more than anyone else. I see Texas flags as much or more than American flags these days, and they are always flying right alongside the stars and stripes.

Which brings me to another thing people don't understand about Texans. Why are they so damn patriotic about their STATE when they should be more patriotic about their country? Well, it's brainwashing. Ha ha. I mean, I suffer the same problem, being born and raised here. How many high schools in other states devote a year of history to the history of their state? There isn't even "California History", but there is a year of "Texas History" here. We sang songs about Texas in school, there are a gazillion catch phrases about Texas I've seen all my life, "Don't Mess With Texas" being one example. There are countless bumper stickers around saying stuff like, "I Wasn't Born in Texas, But I Got Here as Fast as I Could!" and "There are 2 Kinds of People: Those Who are Texan, and Those Who Wish They Were." And the ummm...always charming..."I'm From Texas, What Country Are You From?"

So anyway, from very early in our lives we are brainwashed to love Texas. But the flag thing is B.S. Any state can do it.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #88
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Is anybody here from Luxembourg? Or works there or something? I'd like to know if the second entry in the "Star Wars" series is really called something like "Dat Imerpium bollert redour" in Luxembourg or if that's just a mystical joke.
On that note, is "Titanic" really slang for "let's have sex" in Arabic?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #89
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
On that note, is "Titanic" really slang for "let's have sex" in Arabic?
There are two ways I can answer that: The weird/stereotype Texan way the pro-war American way, and not at all. But the former promises more fun.

No, the Arabic slang for "Let's have sex!" is, "Die, American!", followed by the sound of footsteps and then a large, wet explosion.

Neither of those statements were politically correct. Sorry. And I , of course, refer only to more extreme sects of Islam.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #90
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
One misconception about Texas is that our state is the only one legally allowed to fly the state flag at the same height as the American flag. That's not true, though I would imagine we actually do it more than anyone else. I see Texas flags as much or more than American flags these days, and they are always flying right alongside the stars and stripes.

Which brings me to another thing people don't understand about Texans. Why are they so damn patriotic about their STATE when they should be more patriotic about their country? Well, it's brainwashing. Ha ha. I mean, I suffer the same problem, being born and raised here. How many high schools in other states devote a year of history to the history of their state? There isn't even "California History", but there is a year of "Texas History" here. We sang songs about Texas in school, there are a gazillion catch phrases about Texas I've seen all my life, "Don't Mess With Texas" being one example. There are countless bumper stickers around saying stuff like, "I Wasn't Born in Texas, But I Got Here as Fast as I Could!" and "There are 2 Kinds of People: Those Who are Texan, and Those Who Wish They Were." And the ummm...always charming..."I'm From Texas, What Country Are You From?"

So anyway, from very early in our lives we are brainwashed to love Texas. But the flag thing is B.S. Any state can do it.
And also, we know how to cook chilli and brisket!
And their is nothing wrong with state pride!

PS. I will be there in less than a week! Woohoo back home!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #91
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
Yeah, swimming in the Pacific up here without a wetsuit is generally a bad idea. It's cold!
Quote:
There goes a huge misconception for me then.
I thought the Pacific was all warm and nice.
I thought just the opposite about the Atlantic, until I lived near it. I expected cold grey water with big waves, but around Tybee Island Georgia the Atlantic is bathwater warm, chocolate milk-colored (until you get out from the beach a ways), and as waveless as a mill pond unless there's a storm coming in.
I was even able to go in swimming one year on my Mom's birthday (March 20th) because the water temp was 80 degrees that day. Of course the air temperature was only in the mid 60s, so I almost froze my hoo-hoo off once I got out of the water, but still...

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #92
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
There are two ways I can answer that: The weird/stereotype Texan way the pro-war American way, and not at all. But the former promises more fun.

No, the Arabic slang for "Let's have sex!" is, "Die, American!", followed by the sound of footsteps and then a large, wet explosion.

Neither of those statements were politically correct. Sorry. And I , of course, refer only to more extreme sects of Islam.
Giligan
Old 06-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #93

Speaking of bikinis and beaches, do European men wear speedos or shorts to the beach? The stereotype I've heard in the states is that they wear speedos, which we think is odd because we wear shorts.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #94
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
Speaking of bikinis and beaches, do European men wear speedos or shorts to the beach? The stereotype I've heard in the states is that they wear speedos, which we think is odd because we wear shorts.
I'd say that shorts are a lot more common around here anyway.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #95
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post

That really depends on the person. I know my father always wore Speedos, but I think my sister's boyfriend wears shorts.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:01 AM   #96
capsized.

I sooooo don't have the legs for speedos.

edit: Why the f. do you lot call these thingamabobs speedos? Because you can..? Oh never mind.

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-11-2007 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:17 AM   #97
Lovable rogue

Speedo is a brand. It's similar to how Americans refer to tissues as "Kleenex."

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #98

The only other name for them that I knew of was "banana hammocks".
Old 06-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #99
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw
I bet Gill's mom doesn't even use an iron skillet. Not to mention the occasional cracklin cornbread
Oh yes iron skillets for stews and cornbread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Mmmm! The perfect accompaniment to butterbeans & neckbones!
Oh yes, so yummy add some turnips or some rutabaga’s then we can talk.

Another misconception about the South is that most men wear cowboy boots, Stetson hats, dusters and tight Wrangler jeans. Oh yeah, and wear big belt buckles and have Copenhagen snuff rings in their back pocket. Some of that is true but it is mostly on farms.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #100
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Umm.. what is speedos?

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery