You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Biggest delusion about your country/area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #61
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic View Post
Jazhara7: be on the look-out for Subway in your area. They sell Walkers in various flavours. Each time I visit, I take about four or five packs home. They'll be my ruin eventually, but I can only second your .
Oooh! I love Walkers. Thanks for the tip. They used to sell Walkers in my school (one of the advantage of visiting an American school, I guess), but since they switched to Sodexho supplying the food and kiosk, they no longer had them. And after the American Airbase in Frankfurt closed, the Parent Network no longer sold Mountain Dew (I can only drink that occasionally, as it too is quite sweet...and I can only drink this stuff ice cold, because if it is warm it just tastes disgusting nearly making me sick) at their bake sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Whenever there are buns or flute (baguette?) in the house, I totally prefer those over any kind of bread. Soft on the inside, and crunchy on the outside. Food doesn't get any more exciting than this.

Also, I always thought the term "Danish dynamite" must also refer to something shown in Danish movies like this one. Long time no see, damn!

Heh, I agree. I love buns and baguette too. I also like grey bread. I just don't particularly like toast, because it isn't crunchy (unless you toast it, but that is a special variety of crunchy. Actually, I only eat toast if it has been toasted).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:57 AM   #62
Creepy Father Figure

My god! sweetened cornbread? They should be ashamed.

I bet Gill's mom doesn't even use an iron skillet. Not to mention the occasional cracklin cornbread
Old 06-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #63
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:

Since it's Saturday already... what are you holding in your hands other than your mouse right now?

Jelensie, our unknowing drunk.

Don't drink and type!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #64
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
My god! Sweetened cornbread? They should be ashamed.
Yankees. Their ways are not our ways.

Quote:
cracklin cornbread
Mmmm! The perfect accompaniment to butterbeans & neckbones!

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #65
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Yes, the ones from the spirits stores. They had it on a show called "Genial Daneben", where people can send in questions that a bunch of comedy celebrities have to find the answer to, and if they don't find the answer, the person who sent the question, gets money. They actually got the answer to this one.

The moderator then explained that it's particularly green bags, because apparently green is supposed to be the colour of discretion in Sweden, but I am not sure if that is actually true.
I'm not sure about green being the colour of discretion.....*laughs*, but I've heard it's the colour of serenity.
The thing is, in Sweden we only have state controlled wine and spirits stores. No wine in the supermarkets. A couple of years ago these stores started to keep open hours on Saturdays too. There were a lot of discussions beforehand on whether this would generate more alcoholics in our country. Perhaps this question came from the fact that Swedes now can buy wine and spirits on Saturdays as well, thus running around with green bags on weekends. *laughs some more*

Quote:
There you have it..
As the biggest fan of Sweden who has never once been to Sweden I'm a leeeetle curious myself now.
Since it's Saturday already... what are you holding in your hands other than your mouse right now? Just want to make sure..
Sorry, no booze.

Quote:
Don't drink and type!
I do appreciate a glass of wine when I play adventure games or talk to your guys on the forum. Not today though.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #66
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
My god! sweetened cornbread? They should be ashamed.

I bet Gill's mom doesn't even use an iron skillet. Not to mention the occasional cracklin cornbread
Don't make me come down there and replace that fish shirt of yours with a flannel job, Dad!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #67
Kung Fu Code Poet

Old 06-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #68
Friendly Server Admin

I just made some cornbread with... HONEY!

Take that, southerners. And, I put BEANS in my chili, Texans! Muahahaha!

And I drank some water, so, um... take that, environment!

Last edited by tabacco; 06-09-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #69
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
What do you all think of when you hear of California? I know some of the stereotypes but I'm interested in hearing what others think.
I remember Belinda Carlisle sang a song about California, and I don't feel one of the Go-Go's would mislead me.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #70
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
I just made some cornbread with... HONEY!

Take that, southerners. And, I put BEANS in my chili, Texans! Muahahaha!

And I drank some water, so, um... take that, environment!
You evilevilevil man! Next thing you'll be saying you made chilli with hamburger meat. Or worse, turkey.

You want to hear terrible food evil, in Western Kentucky they put NOODLES in there chilli.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #71
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
You evilevilevil man! Next thing you'll be saying you made chilli with hamburger meat. Or worse, turkey.
...Whistles.

Quote:
You want to hear terrible food evil, in Western Kentucky they put NOODLES in there chilli.
That's just not right.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #72

Seattle is not the rainiest place. It ranks in the low 40s compared to the rest of the US.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #73
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

I suppose one of my misconceptions about Europe is that Europeans have no misconceptions about their neighboring countries.

Coming from America as I do, I've always envied Europeans, since Europe is comprised of multiple. small countries. In America, you can travel for a week and still be in America. Or you can go to Canada. Or Mexico, both of which may be a few thousand miles away from your home. That's it.
It surprises me a little that Germans would have dreamy ideas about the Swedes I guess my misconception is that Europeans have been everywhere else in Europe.

As for the noodles in Chili, it sounds like you're referring to classic Cincinnati chili. Not only do they put noodles in, they also add chocolate. The Three Way is actually pretty tasty, but then a Texan would never admit that.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #74

I'm in California, and most people are surprised when I tell them that I get snow here in the winter (a couple of years ago, in fact, we had nearly a foot of snow at one point).

Elevation where I am is close to 3000 feet.

Anyway, it kind of blows the image of surfboarders and nonstop sun all to pieces.....
Old 06-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #75
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Oh, and the Germans make the best bread.

--Erwin
You haven't tried Finnish rye bread, obviously.

Finnish black bread is different from the black bread of many other countries in a few ways: it's not soft (it can be very hard - and therefore good - on the teeth, in fact) and it often isn't sweet.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 AM   #76
capsized.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
Sorry, no booze.
Got me. Skål!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
You haven't tried Finnish rye bread, obviously.
And Finnish Worm(sie) bread, neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie
What do you all think of when you hear of California? I know some of the stereotypes but I'm interested in hearing what others think.
First (and only) time I've ever been to California. I DID travel there quite regularly back in its day, though... So, yes, many of the stereotypes (sun, beaches, ice cream, bikinis, rollerblades, um... beaches?) are firmly in place. I was sure given enough material to work with from an early age on.

Which reminds me, our family got an invitation to go to California to a wedding.. The couple lives in our village, but the woman is from over there. On the paper it says there'd be an opportunity to go swimming afterwards ("don't forget your swimsuits!"), so...
BEACHES?

Old 06-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #77
Super Moderator

Quote:
Which reminds me, our family got an invitation to go to California to a wedding.. The couple lives in our village, but the woman is from over there. On the paper it says there'd be an opportunity to go swimming afterwards ("don't forget your swimsuits!"), so...
BEACHES?

Possibly. They could have a pool as well.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #78
Friendly Server Admin

Yeah, swimming in the Pacific up here without a wetsuit is generally a bad idea. It's cold!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #79
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
Yeah, swimming in the Pacific up here without a wetsuit is generally a bad idea. It's cold!
There goes a huge misconception for me then.
I thought the Pacific was all warm and nice.

*Remembers something about cold water around Alcatraz* Ah well, the image in my head is sun, sun, sun anyway.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #80
Super Moderator

It's warmer in Southern California probably but once you get into Northern Cali, nope! I find the Pacific coastline in Northern California incredibly gorgeous though.