You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Biggest delusion about your country/area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 06:15 AM   #41
Under pressure.

My tastebuds don't handle American sweetness well, either. Even their bread is sweeter than normal bread. (and they sure love cinnamon in their breadproducts)

--Erwin
Old 06-09-2007, 06:16 AM   #42
Under pressure.

Oh, and the Germans make the best bread.

--Erwin
Old 06-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #43
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Is that a misconception, Erwin?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #44
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

We Germans go for sweeter taste than Americans? That's a misconception! While I sadly have to admit that too many people like milk chocolate, I know that American products are way sweeter than German ones.

I personally don't like sweetness all that much. And I know I can't eat KitKat in America, because its way too sweet over there.

I'm still used to putting a bit of salt in cakes and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
My tastebuds don't handle American sweetness well, either. Even their bread is sweeter than normal bread. (and they sure love cinnamon in their breadproducts)

--Erwin
You're right, the bread is sweeter. I hate that. Who in their right mind would put sugar in bread? That's barbaric!

Oh, and much too much cinnamon. I can stand the stuff for a while around Christmas, but not too much. I don't really like it. And too much cinnamon is bad for digestion, if I recall it correctly.

Like I said, I'm still used to putting sugar in cookie and cake dough. And our Christmas cookies I bake are not very sweet either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Oh, and the Germans make the best bread.

--Erwin
Thanks! My favourite has to be grey bread (that's normal dark bread. You know, with a crust), or sometimes black bread (that's bread made from whole grains). A light bread bun in the morning. *Very* rarely toast, and then often whole grain toast.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic View Post
Do they ever! Four words: salt and vinegar crisps.

*drools*

-

Old 06-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #46
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Jazhara7: be on the look-out for Subway in your area. They sell Walkers in various flavours. Each time I visit, I take about four or five packs home. They'll be my ruin eventually, but I can only second your .
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #47
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Ooh, I love Subway!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #48
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
EDIT: Oh, and yet another misconception Conan O'Brien publicised in his program: Finland is a somewhat agricultural country, but our main export isn't fish and milk and food and stuff like that, probably because it would be very expensive as Finland is a very developed country and we are lso low on raw materils anyway. I think our main exports are electronics (thanks to Nokia), paper and wood.
Not just electronics, but technology in general. Like engines and stuff.

This may sound like an advertisement but for example Wärtsilä is the leading manufacturer of different kinds of ship engines.

EDIT: Ahh it's said in that link of yours also: "machinery, vehicles and other engineered metal products (21.1%)"
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #49
capsized.

Whenever there are buns or flute (baguette?) in the house, I totally prefer those over any kind of bread. Soft on the inside, and crunchy on the outside. Food doesn't get any more exciting than this.

Also, I always thought the term "Danish dynamite" must also refer to something shown in Danish movies like this one. Long time no see, damn!

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-09-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #50
tsa
Playing character

I live in Enschede, which is in the 'Far East' of the Netherlands. Most people in the Netherlands live in the area close to the North Sea, which is one of the densest populated areas on the planet. From here it's two hours by train to Amsterdam. From Amsterdam to Enschede is also two hours, but for some reason people from the West seem to think it's further. So I am always asked to come to them 'because Enschede is so far away'.

And of course, although I got my Ph.D. at the university here and am part of one of the world's best research groups in the field of optics, everyone knows that you only find stupid farmers in Enschede and its surroundings.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #51
capsized.

And professional footballers since FC Twente is de betaalde voetbalclub van Enschede. Or isn't it?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #52
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
In the episode of The Simpsons where the family visits London, they trot out a string of stereotypes, but the strangest was some apparent belief that English chocolate and sweets are somehow more sugary than American ones.

Not only is this the opposite of true, but it's a misconception I've never come across anywhere else, including all my time growing up in the States. Has anyone else been told this, on either side of the pond?

(Americans go for very sweet tastes, more than most other nationalities except perhaps German; the English prefer considerably less sweetness than most other nationalities.)
Agree 100%.
I suppose I go against the American stereotype in that I prefer much less sweetness in food as well, and I loathe milk chocolate.
Perhaps that's more of a Northern US thing, as Northerners insist on using yellow corn meal to make cornbread (which is just wrong) and adding sugar to their cornbread to make it sweet (which borders on blasphemy ).

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #53
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Northerners insist on using yellow corn meal to make cornbread (which is just wrong) and adding sugar to their cornbread to make it sweet (which borders on blasphemy ).
What?!?!

I... I... can't believe you said that!

My mother is an excellent cornbread cook, and it's always sweet. If it isn't sweet, it isn't cornbread.

Last edited by Giligan; 06-09-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #54
capsized.

For some reason I have a hard time imagining that sweet paddings go as well with already sweet bread.

Speaking about sweets, my mind probably formed its first possible delusions about ye olde Brits when being confronted with commercials like this. Ladies first. Long time no... eat? I DIGGED those.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #55
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
By the way, is it true that in Sweden on weekends, many people are running around carrying green plastic bags?
Ehrm......just trying to figure out what these plastic bags are about.....
I'd have to say, no that's not true, at least I haven't seen it.

Wait a minute, it could be the plastic bags from the wine and spirits stores. They are green, but there are also dark blue and wine red plastic bags there.

Where did you hear that btw?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #56
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Maybe it's true, and you're actually doing it yourself! But as a Swede it's always been such an integral part of your life ever since age zero that you don't even notice it anymore! Mh?

Green plastic bags... I can see the potential for some cool fashion trends in this, .. where's Trep when you need him?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #57
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Maybe it's true, and you're actually doing it yourself! But as a Swede it's always been such an integral part of your life ever since age zero that you don't even notice it anymore! Mh?

I will pay close attention to what I do every weekend from now on.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #58
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Northerners insist on using yellow corn meal to make cornbread (which is just wrong) and adding sugar to their cornbread to make it sweet (which borders on blasphemy ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
What?!?!

I... I... can't believe you said that!

My mother is an excellent cornbread cook, and it's always sweet. If it isn't sweet, it isn't cornbread.

And that is excellent disproof of the delusion that all people from the US are alike. Culturally, the US could be divided into at least five sub-countries: The Northeast, the Southeast, the Midwest, the Northwest, and the Southwest. Aside from linguistic distinctions, what is commonplace and perfectly acceptable in one sub-country might be considered rude or downright bizarre in another.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Ehrm......just trying to figure out what these plastic bags are about.....

Wait a minute, it could be the plastic bags from the wine and spirits stores. They are green, but there are also dark blue and wine red plastic bags there.

Where did you hear that btw?

Yes, the ones from the spirits stores. They had it on a show called "Genial Daneben", where people can send in questions that a bunch of comedy celebrities have to find the answer to, and if they don't find the answer, the person who sent the question, gets money. They actually got the answer to this one.

The moderator then explained that it's particularly green bags, because apparently green is supposed to be the colour of discretion in Sweden, but I am not sure if that is actually true.

-

Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #60
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
They had it on a show called "Genial Daneben",
There you have it..

As the biggest fan of Sweden who has never once been to Sweden I'm a leeeetle curious myself now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
I will pay close attention to what I do every weekend from now on.
Since it's Saturday already... what are you holding in your hands other than your mouse right now? Just want to make sure..

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-09-2007 at 09:59 AM.