You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
King Silly

Default Cats. :)

Do you have cats and what races ( mind me, English is my 3rd language - don't know if these things are called "races" in English xD)?

Me and my fiancee are on cat-baby fever and we really want a 3rd kitten. So, use this topic to discuss about these great animals. I'm really being overly enthustiastic to look into different cat races et cetera
Old 04-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

They're usually called "breeds" in English when referring to cats and dogs.

I currently have a male grey tabby named Rainy. He's an adorable little love sponge, although he's also extremely nosy and has a tendency to try to get into *everything*.

My mom has a female part Himalayan, part Siamese kitty named Snowy. Very pretty cat, but she can be a bit aloof sometimes, and is *incredibly* chatty.

From my experience, unless you're aiming for a purebred, I'd worry less about the cat's breed and simply concentrate on looking for a kitten whose personality seems to match the kind of cat you like. Aside from a few archetypical traits (like the chattiness of Siamese), cat breeds don't seem as sharply different from each other as dog breeds.

For instance, I had another tabby cat a while back who was a mean little sucker not at all like my Rainy... he used to love to stalk and pounce me all the time and didn't like being petted or cuddled.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
Lovable rogue

If I weren't allergic, I'd want a Cat That Looks Like Hitler.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
capsized.

A............ kitler??

We had four budgies in total, a couple of fish, no cat, but for what it's worth I once creamed a neighbour's cat in toothpaste at night.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:19 AM   #5
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

<--- doesn't like cats
Old 04-23-2007, 04:29 AM   #6
King Silly

ah yes Breed, not race. XD I knew that, I swear I did. I just didn't remember.

Well, there's already two cats at my fiancee's apartment ( I'll be moving in someday in the future). She's done very good job with them, almost single-handedly took care of them and everything it sometimes amazes me how good mother she is for them. I've always been into cats ( two cats at my parents house) but now I'm seriously been bitten by a cat-bug and I just want to learn everything about them.

Other one is mixed breed ( again, don't know the english word for home cats which dont really have definite breed). Other one is oriental shorthaird. They are both a almost 7 months old. Here are pics of them:

They are the cutest thing in the whole world.

We've been pondering breeds, and breeds such as Bengal, American Curl, Abyssinian and Russian Blue seem very interesting breeds look-wise and also personality-wise.

Last edited by MikaelS; 04-23-2007 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
A............ kitler??
I prefer the term "Feline Führer"

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-23-2007, 04:39 AM   #8
Kung Fu Code Poet

We have... uhm... 8 cats. I say let the cat choose you.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 AM   #9
Lazy Bee

Awwww cute cats!

I still suffer from my cat desire and the family still refuses. I did make arrangements for my neighbour's 24 h outdoor cat though. He's now got a comfy spot on my door step. I keep a thick blue blanket in a corner by the door under roof where he's sheltered from the wind and rain/snow. He used it a lot during the winter, but now when it's warmer he just stoppes by occasionally. Preferably when I'm sitting on the doorstep eating ice-cream.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
Kung Fu Code Poet

Jelena. Good to hear about the cat having a little place to sleep on your door step.

Before Jennifer came to live with me, I moved down to our new home in a town about 2 hours from where we live now. I befriended a wild-ish white cat. He got the name "Heksie" and I fed him regularly, got him innoculated and eventually had him neutered.

The day Jennifer arrived with her two cats and the dog Findlay though... Heksie got a big fright and ran like hell. We didn't see him for a few days, but then one day we found him running around in a storm gutter around the corner, so we grabbed him, and took him to our front door step where we fed him and gave him a nice place to sleep.

Thing is... Jennifer noticed that he still had testicles... soooo... was this a different white cat?? He sure looked the same, but how could it be?? I had thos things snipped off, I did, I did! ... Sooo... we gave him a new name... since we figured it was a different cat and the other one has run off forever.

We moved later that year, and took the white cat with us to our new home... but when the time came for them all to get their annual shots, and to have the white cat neutered... the vet poked at his testicles... and it turned out the bags were in fact hollow. The technique isn't to cut them off anymore, but just to remove the balls.

So, turns out it was Heksie after all... but these days we call him "Wit Koekie" and he's gotten quite used to the comforts of home, having friends to play with, LOVES the dog, and likes the occasional cuddle.

Clap clap clap... the end.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
Creepy Father Figure

Well, most cats i have are either strays or abandoned but the actual 'breed' that my family has had for years is a short haired American Bobtail. They are beautiful animals and seem to have a habit of following people around.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Bengals are beautiful cats and very smart. The male I had was neutered young but was too 'wild' to be kept inside - he wanted to tear everything apart, but as soon as I began to let him out, that all stopped. He was very lovey and cuddly. He always wanted to bring his outdoor things inside, and in Florida, that means tiny lizards - zillions of them, in fact, and play with them till he killed them or they died on their own. Once he brought in a garter snake (small grass snake) which I managed to get away from him when the snake played dead, and I put him back outside. He was very active and playful.

He had a long slim body and a small head for his size and a very long tail. He had beautiful markings, with the tabby M on his forehead, beige to gold background and dark brown spots and stripes, with a ringed tail.

Unfortunately, he got killed by a car. This was about 2 yrs ago.

FGM
Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Wow, that made my day. Thanks.

My housemate in California last year owned a really really old cat who'd often come right up to me and barf while I was trying to have breakfast in the kitchen. Needless to say, after that, I ate all my meals in my bedroom.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
Easily amused

I've got 7 cats, 2 are purebred siamese and 2 are siamese crosses. The other 3 are 2 orange tabbies and one long haired calico.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
I've got 7 cats, 2 are purebred siamese and 2 are siamese crosses. The other 3 are 2 orange tabbies and one long haired calico.
Ooohhh! Pictures pleeeease, espeially of the siameeeeese.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Well, you can always get yourself hypoallergenic cat. They are only $4,000 each.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...4000_cat_.html

You will have to check with the supplier to see if they have one that looks like Hitler.

- Akane, Ranma and Juliet
Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #17
Easily amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Ooohhh! Pictures pleeeease, espeially of the siameeeeese.
I tried, but I couldn't get them uploaded and I don't know how to change them to a lesser MB .
Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Ooh, splendid - a thread about me and my kin. *purrs and sprawls across the entire thread so no one can actually read it anymore*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 AM   #19
Second Degree Black Belt

I have two cats both are mixed breeds. One is black with long hair and the other is long haired and her color is called tortoise shell (I think). The black one my DH found him in a parking lot and the other one we adopted from Pet Smart. Both have been great cats.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 AM   #20
Lazy Bee

Nisse came by today to enjoy the last pieces of my ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
I tried, but I couldn't get them uploaded and I don't know how to change them to a lesser MB .
You could host your pictures on the internet. I host at Photobucket. It works well.