Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Death Penalty (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/19613-death-penalty.html)

rlpw 04-22-2007 10:05 AM

Death Penalty

Okay folks we have been throwing around religion, gun control, and global warming so now I want to bring out something different.

Well I'll go on record as saying that I am against it for actually 3 reasons:

1. I do not believe in a murder for a murder, 2 wrongs do not make a right

2. Their might wind up being evidence uncovered later to exonerate these people.

3. It just costs to damn much. Look at here

Okay tag! who's next?

And then I push the wrong Poll button, go figure!

Squinky 04-22-2007 10:13 AM

There are things much, much worse than death, so against.

Dasilva 04-22-2007 10:16 AM

I would say Im for it, but Im not. These criminals need to stay in jail, not be let out 2 years later with good behavior or something. Like when they say jail for life, it SHOULD mean jail for life, not a slap on the wrist.

Jelena 04-22-2007 10:26 AM

I'm against it. I don't believe that taking someones life is right no matter what. If a person has commited a horrible crime death might be less of a punishment than being locked up for the rest of your life.

When it comes to costs though, (Without having read your link yet) wouldn't it be more expensive to keep people locked up for 60 years or more?

Jatsie 04-22-2007 10:28 AM

I'm against it, just because I think death is far too nice for them.

If someone said to me, "You have the choice, you can either sit in this tiny cell staring at the walls for several decades, then die of natural causes, or we'll give you this little injection and you can skip straight to the death." I'd have no hesitation to take the second option.

Criminals should be made to do something useful, yet punishing, like forced labour.

Dasilva 04-22-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jat316sob (Post 406984)
I'm against it, just because I think death is far too nice for them.

If someone said to me, "You have the choice, you can either sit in this tiny cell staring at the walls for several decades, then die of natural causes, or we'll give you this little injection and you can skip straight to the death." I'd have no hesitation to take the second option.

Criminals should be made to do something useful, yet punishing, like forced labour.

I like the sound of that, make them work in factories or something!

artwking4 04-22-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jat316sob (Post 406984)

Ooh, I'm for that. We're paying a lot of money to keep them alive (food, shelter, medical, etc.) and to stop them from harming society again (at least during the term of their sentence). They might as well earn their keep. Jesus, these felons have it better than homeless, starving people. Except for that whole freedom thing, of course.

Erwin_Br 04-22-2007 12:24 PM

I say let them stamp licenseplates!

--Erwin

Dasilva 04-22-2007 12:52 PM

Make them make adventure games!

Zlocko 04-23-2007 09:29 AM

If prisoners start making adventure games wouldnt normal people who make adventure games earn less money?? :)
The first prisons were made to resemble a monastery.You couldnt talk to other prisoners,you had to go to pray in a chapel every day,and you had to work.But if today all prisoners started to work then a lot of people would loose their jobs.I didnt know that in America capital punishment costs that much, but I think that in countries like China things are diferent.
Today most criminals live a good life,and when they go to jail they still have a good life,so the best option is to kill them :)

Jatsie 04-23-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlocko (Post 407184)
But if today all prisoners started to work then a lot of people would loose their jobs.

What you neglect to realise, is that there are plenty of jobs that people refuse to do, which is why we have high unemployment, yet are continually allowing immigrants to enter our nation to fill job vacancies. I'd far rather have free prisoner labour than more floods of immigrants.

Zlocko 04-23-2007 09:58 AM

You want criminals to clean the streets or something?That would have a bad ending ;)

rlpw 04-23-2007 10:14 AM

He hires criminals to clean his house already

Fairygdmther 04-23-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlocko (Post 407193)
You want criminals to clean the streets or something?That would have a bad ending ;)

Why is that? Here in Florida, they use prisoner crews to clean the litter from highways, and to trim the shrub and bushes. The only down side is treating them for the brown recluse spider bites they get.

Erwin_Br 04-23-2007 12:41 PM

Same here, actually. Except for the spider bites. Poisonous spiders aren't that common here.

--Erwin

Zlocko 04-23-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairygdmther (Post 407214)
Why is that? Here in Florida, they use prisoner crews to clean the litter from highways, and to trim the shrub and bushes. The only down side is treating them for the brown recluse spider bites they get.

Really?I thought that could not work.Well im sure that would not work in Bosnia,i cant imagine something like that,here normal people do jobs of that kind.My country must be more dangerous than Florida:D
How do they control the prisoners?

undeaf 04-23-2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zlocko (Post 407218)
How do they control the prisoners?

Shock collars.

Aj_ 04-23-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jat316sob
What you neglect to realise, is that there are plenty of jobs that people refuse to do, which is why we have high unemployment, yet are continually allowing immigrants to enter our nation to fill job vacancies. I'd far rather have free prisoner labour than more floods of immigrants.

High unemployment compared to what? Britain has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world, has the lowest unemployment rates since 1997 than any other time in history.

Britain "allows" immigrants because Britain needs immigrants, the NHS is full of nurses from Africa and Southern Asia. I am a product of immigration, and Britain wouldn't have survived without immigration in the 20th century. Some of the greatest Britons have been products of immigration, and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Fairygdmther 04-23-2007 01:02 PM

If there are more than 15 prisoners in a work group, they have 3 guards with them, otherwise 2 go with them. They leave the prison in leg irons and return that way, otherwise they are free to walk around, wearing the prison orange overalls.

You may have a point about the danger, though - most of the work crews are made up of those whose crimes are fairly minor. They wouldn't allow killers or rapists, or pedophiles out like that.

SSH 04-23-2007 01:02 PM

Criminals could work as call-centre staff! Truly a fate worse than death...