Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Guilty pleasure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/19563-guilty-pleasure.html)

Trader 04-16-2007 11:18 AM

Guilty pleasure

I have a guilty pleasure, much to the lament of my parents, I love early morning cartoon shows [I am 30+]. Do any of you gamers have any little guilty pleasures you wish to share [nothing too rude].

rlpw 04-16-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trader (Post 405586)
I have a guilty pleasure, much to the lament of my parents, I love early morning cartoon shows [I am 30+]. Do any of you gamers have any little guilty pleasures you wish to share [nothing too rude].

That's why me and Mrs.R had children, to excuse us watching cartoons!

I am an ex smoker but I cannot held myself, I love a good Arturo Fuente cigar. I do not know of a better explanation other than the way a woman loves a really good chocolate.(I know that sounds sexist, but a woman can smell and taste subtleties that a man entirely misses)

Jelena 04-16-2007 12:04 PM

Well, I play adventure games and watch Star Trek every day. In my home that's considered really weird. Around this forum though it's perfectly normal. Thank God!
;)

bulldog 04-16-2007 01:58 PM

I'm like Jelena, the only pleasures that I have are games and Karate. I'm normal here ;)

samIamsad 04-16-2007 02:12 PM

Ok, so this is going to be really horrible. Horrible as in absolutely painful, I'm struggling to admit it, but you asked for it, so I might as well give in. The truth is that, you know, geeeeeeeeeeez... how shall I say this? The truth is well, you know, the truth is that I like to post on the forums of adventuregamers.com. http://www-images.fer.hr/_smiley/blush.png

And if you're watching cartoons at 30+ you're destined to end up in the book of ubercool people. If you feel GUILTY doing it, however, you're just lame. :P

Squinky 04-16-2007 03:37 PM

Chit Chat is definitely a guilty pleasure.

Not A Speck Of Cereal 04-16-2007 07:07 PM

Oh my, yes.

Sage 04-16-2007 08:59 PM

I watch cartoons and I'm 40+. :D
Recently I earned the admiration of a seven-year-old on an airplane because I knew who Ang the Airbender was and I was able to explain Ang's story to the seven-year-old's grandmother in a way she could understand. :)

bulldog 04-17-2007 05:43 AM

I guess posting here is a guilty pleaseure for me too.:P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 405692)
I watch cartoons and I'm 40+. :D
Recently I earned the admiration of a seven-year-old on an airplane because I knew who Ang the Airbender was and I was able to explain Ang's story to the seven-year-old's grandmother in a way she could understand. :)

That's nice, and see you're still cool ;)

colpet 04-17-2007 06:12 AM

Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunter books in small doses.

samIamsad 04-17-2007 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiki
The Dark-Hunters are immortal warriors pledged to the Greek goddess Artemis and dedicated to defending mankind against Daimons (vampires) and other assorted enemies: including a couple of rogue gods and goddesses.

:crazy:

Well, in actual truth, there's a really clever metaphor on Western culture in general and its utter lack of any meaning whatsoever in the grand scheme of all things in particular hidden in there.... isn't there? In other words: Sounds like fun of the purest kind, so why the guilt? :)

SCRUGAtes13 04-17-2007 09:39 AM

i love fast food, which is bad on so many levels. i believe in having a healthy body and i also believe that fast food outlets give you 'food' that is complete garbage and a waste of money in every respect of the word. it's so wrong, and i still love it!

colpet 04-17-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad (Post 405752)
:crazy:

Well, in actual truth, there's a really clever metaphor on Western culture in general and its utter lack of any meaning whatsoever in the grand scheme of all things in particular hidden in there.... isn't there? In other words: Sounds like fun of the purest kind, so why the guilt? :)

Oh, I don't know - maybe it's the cheesy romantic formula they all follow.;)

MoriartyL 04-17-2007 11:02 AM

I also love cartoons, and I don't see why anyone should feel guilty about it. I love watching anything from Genndy Tartakovsky, or the Looney Tunes cartoons from the forties. On occasion I happen to catch a more recent Cartoon Network cartoon. And if it's good, there's no reason to feel guilty at all about it.

A recent guilty pleasure of mine was starting to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I felt guilty about it only because the title is unforgivably silly. But you know what, it's a great show. So I got over it. When my sister asked me why I was watching such a "girly" show, I responded with "Because it's a great show.". And that's all the justification anyone should need. (Incidentally, I only discovered the show around a week ago and today I bought the entire series on DVD.)

So what is a valid guilty pleasure? One where you know it's bad, but enjoy it anyway. A recent example for me would be when I watched the first few episodes of Smallville to see what it was like. So ridiculously corny and artificial, yet still quite watchable. I stopped, though. It's not that watchable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpw (Post 405591)
I do not know of a better explanation other than the way a woman loves a really good chocolate.(I know that sounds sexist, but a woman can smell and taste subtleties that a man entirely misses)

Speak for yourself. I do too taste subtleties of chocolate. My favorite flavor is this one lemon-flavored white chocolate, and you'd better believe I appreciate its subtleties. And yes, it is sexist to say that women can appreciate chocolate more than men.

bulldog 04-18-2007 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoriartyL
My favorite flavor is this one lemon-flavored white chocolate, and you'd better believe I appreciate its subtleties.

WOW that sounds very yummy. I love lemon flavored anything. :9

My mom makes this lemon cake that is so easy but so yummy.:9~ She bakes a lemon cake like a bunt cake, and then she takes confectioner sugar and lemon juice and mixes them together to makes a glaze. She then pokes holes in the top of the cake while it’s hot, and pours the glaze over the top of the cake. Since the cake is still hot the cake warms up the glaze and it goes into all the nooks and crannies of the cake. Oh it is so good……. :9~

MoriartyL 04-18-2007 06:30 AM

That does sound good. Can you believe that there are people who'd actually feel guilty about eating something that yummy? Because I bet there are.

akane_t 04-18-2007 06:46 AM

http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/product.aspx?id=317

I would live on this stuff if I can get away with it.

Bobske 04-18-2007 06:57 AM

About the cartoons...

I kinda still like the 80's cartoons :P

My 5 year old nephew is always complaining that he doesn't like the cartoons on tv so I inserted Transformers: The Movie DVD in my DVD player and he watched it two times in a row ;)

The fact that the cartoon was in English didn't bother him, as long as I occasionly told him what happened.

So, now he watches Transformers, G.I. Joe, MASK, He-Man, She-Ra, Marshall Bravestar, Dino-riders, Jem and the Holograms, TMNT, The Real Ghostbusters, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Spiderman and The X-men :P

PS: Anyone remember the cartoon Candy Candy? Never found out if "they" were going to release it on DVD...

Another PS: I love the Gilmore Girls :P

Kolzig 04-18-2007 07:28 AM

Well Gilmore Girls is one of the best series on tv right now. Too bad that it might be ending now.

Also 80's cartoons are the best. 90's cartoons started to go rotten and these days IMO there is just crap... :frown:

samIamsad 04-18-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobske (Post 406005)
Dino-riders

OMG, you just opened up my pandora's box of sweet childhood memories... I got the Brontosaurus on Christmas 89ish or something, it was the BIGGEST toy I've ever had.