Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Vacation (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/19468-vacation.html)

Jatsie 04-05-2007 08:07 AM

Vacation

In a rare occurrence, I have decided to go on holiday.

I’ve realised that it’s time for me to take a necessary break from people & places I know, from men, and to have a rest. So despite my distaste for air travel and warm climates, I am heading to the Continent for a brief respite.

I went to see my hairdresser today for a cut & colour, and I look fabulous. My luggage is all packed, I have my sunglasses, and tomorrow I jet off to the Algarve for ten days.

Amongst other things, I plan to work on my golf game, and catch up on some reading, as I realised today that I’ve neglected to pick up The Decameron in six months.

Try not to miss me too much! (Although I’m sure it’ll likely be the other way around, I go through withdrawal when I can’t use the internet. ;))

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1261/algarve2qa9.jpg
The Algarve, Southern Portugal.

Jelena 04-05-2007 08:14 AM

*turns green of envy*

Have a nice trip Jat. :) I'll miss you, no doubt. And when you come home, please post some pictures from your vacation.

Jatsie 04-05-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 403228)
Have a nice trip Jat. :) I'll miss you, no doubt.

Thanks, have a nice trip yourself. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 403228)
And when you come home, please post some pictures from your vacation.

Possibly, I'm not really big on photography, so I'd have to get a camera first.

rlpw 04-05-2007 08:38 AM

Get a Camera Jat! And of course We'll miss you.

Sage 04-05-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jat316sob (Post 403230)
I'm not really big on photography, so I'd have to get a camera first.

Fuji 1000-speed 27 exposure disposable cameras: Cheap, compact, and good image quality.
Get the film developed at a place that offers the photos on CD as well as prints, then posting your photos here will be a snap. ;)

Have a great time in Portugal! :D

Intrepid Homoludens 04-05-2007 07:07 PM

:kiss: Bon Voyage, Jatsie, et apprécient toute la beauté dehors lÃ*! J'aimerais recevoir une carte postale de vous.

I myself will be heading up to San Francisco next Thursday for ten days. Looking forward to it! w00t!! I'll send postcards to those here whose address I already have.

xoxo
b.

Bobske 04-05-2007 11:54 PM

Have a great time Jat! How can you not like warm climates? Anything better than those rainy days in GB or Holland for that matter...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 403309)
I myself will be heading up to San Francisco next Thursday for ten days.

I love San Fransisco!

If you're going to visit Alcatraz, be sure to take the "night" tour. You can take some amazing pictures!

Some pictures I took in San Fran (I use them as wallpaper on computer @ work ;) :

http://home.wanadoo.nl/dewchit/bobby/pics/IM000572.png
On our way to the Italian Restaurant

http://home.wanadoo.nl/dewchit/bobby/pics/IM000427.png
Boats at Fisherman's Wharf

http://home.wanadoo.nl/dewchit/bobby/pics/IM000559.png
On the boat back to mainland

This year I'm going to Germany!

I'm going to visit Munich and Fuessen GK style. Yup, that means trips to Neuschwanstein, Herrenchiemsee, Frauenkirche and hopefully some more stuff ;)

Can't wait for the summer!

Squinky 04-06-2007 12:08 AM

*misses SF*

Erwin_Br 04-06-2007 05:26 AM

I'm definitely going back to SF someday.

--Erwin

Tobbe 04-06-2007 07:26 AM

Have a great trip Jatsie!!

Intrepid Homoludens 04-06-2007 11:19 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s-Vacation.jpg

The Go-Gos - Vacation (video)

The resemblance between a then chubby Belinda Carlisle and the late Anna Nicole Smith is a mite eerie.

bulldog 04-06-2007 12:49 PM

oh Jatsie have a good time we will miss you :kiss:

Jatsie 04-18-2007 09:28 AM

Well, as you may have noticed I returned from my sojourn on the Continent this Monday, and here is my holiday recap.

Things got off to an interesting start. as I was being driven to the airport we crossed a bridge over the motorway, and below was quite a sight. The carriageway on one side was at a complete standstill as far as the eye could see, and the other side it was completely deserted for the same distance. Children from the stopped vehicles had crossed the central reservation and could be seen playing a game of football on the empty carriageway.

My flight was quite pleasant, I ordered orange juice and a small bottle of sparkling wine, and made myself a Mimosa, which helped to while away the time. To my delight we arrived ahead of schedule.

I spent most of my days relaxing, which was something I wasn't sure I'd be able to accomplish. I always like to have something to do, (which is probably why I so often find myself bored, through lack of sufficient entertainment) so the idea of voluntarily doing nothing worried me slightly. It turned out I was quite content to spend my days just sitting on the balcony reading my book, or listening to some music. On a couple of occasions I went to the driving range to hit a few balls. After my first bucket of 100 I finally remembered how to swing the club. I'm blaming Wii Sports for my initial deficiency. ;) I decided not to play a game of golf in the end, I was quite happy just practicing my swing and didn't feel much like walking around the course. I did pay a visit to the nineteenth hole however. :D

The weather was most agreeable. In Easter it's not too hot, which appeals to me. The first few days it was a little overcast in the morning, but as I'm a late riser that didn't pose a problem for me. On Wednesday however it rained like mad, so I went and did a little shopping, then watched a few episodes from my Knots Landing DVD, which I had taken with me. A taxi driver told me they have a saying there: "Abril, águas mil!" Basically meaning that it rains a lot in the month of April. For the rest of the week there was not a cloud in the sky.

I had some delicious meals whilst there. Twice I had filet steak, both times cooked to perfection. I also partook in my favourite Portuguese dish, Chicken Piri-Piri. I visited a couple of restaurants I've liked in the past, and discovered some nice new ones as well. I also satisfied my craving for pancakes, I had a crêpe with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.

It was fairly quiet, so there wasn't much in the way of entertainment going on. One night early on I visited a bar/restaurant I like, and where I know the owner, for a post dinner drink. I sat there quite happily sipping on a glass of Bailey's, and listening to the Pianist performing some Frank Sinatra songs. Another night I went to a bar where they had a cabaret show on, which was quite amusing. The performer did make the mistake of singing the Smokie song "Living Next Door to Alice" which is traditionally has audience participation, whereafter the line "I've been living next door to Alice." the audience chants in response "Alice? Who the fuck is Alice?" I say mistake as there appeared to be family crowd, although those of us joining in may have been in the minority. hehe.

I did purchase a disposable camera, but I didn't actually take any photos. I wasn't really sure what to shoot, nothing seemed particularly interesting to me. Perhaps it's because I've been there several times before and everything seems so familiar, I've lost that tourist perspective.

I have some news which I know many of you will find startling... I have a sun tan... Yes, you read that correctly. No longer am I a beautiful statue carved from alabaster, but one forged in bronze! I decided to challenge my traditional hatred of the sun, and I must say, it wasn't all that bad. My description of my tan may be a slight exaggeration however. As I'm not one to don a Speedo and sunbathe, I merely sat on a deck chair in shorts & a t-shirt reading my book, so while my face, arms and lower legs are bronze, my torso remains white as ever. I don't plan on showing anyone my tan lines however, so it's fine.

In more news, I'm back on men. The number of gorgeous men I saw while away is incredible. From hot models in adverts, random cute guys at the airport, and bartenders so fit I needed extra ice in my drink. I spent a couple of nights in this one bar unashamedly staring at these two bartenders that couldn't have been more my type. Unfortunately straight men are no fun to flirt with, so now I'm back home I'm on the prowl again. I haven't given up my vow of chastity though, and I'm still disillusioned with gay men, so I'm changing the rules of the game. ;)

Well, that's all I can think of to say for now, I hope those of you who are interested enjoyed my recap. I know I've forgotten a few things I had mind to tell you about, so I'll add them later as soon as they return to my memory. :)

Edit: I just remembered one of the things I forgot to mention. On the flight back there was a cute gay flight attendant, who looked a bit like Charlie Hunnam. I gave him a little smile as I disembarked.

Jelena 04-18-2007 10:21 AM

Jat
I'm happy you had a good time! And I'm delighted you found pleasure in the sun to the point of getting a tan! There's nothing as good as relaxing in the sun, preferably with a good book imho. (Having some shade nearby to alternate with is a must for me though.)
Does this mean I don't have to sprinkle you with Evian water when you join me on a Spanish beach some day. ;)

bulldog 04-18-2007 12:15 PM

Welcome back Jatsie..... glad you're back and I'm glad you had a good time. ;)