You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Book recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 08:50 AM   #21
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I just read Burgess' A Clockwork Orange for the first time, and I would definitely recommend that as well. I have to say it really changed my perspective on the film. Kubrick is one of my favorite directors and he most definitely had a lot to say in his films, but in the case of Clockwork I've come to the conclusion that for the purposes of this film it was pretty much all Burgess' vision, and Kubrick was just a really good translator. This is in contrast to The Shining, in which Kubrick obviously added quite a bit that Stephen King didn't necessarily have in mind. I don't mean to denegrate Kubrick's accomplishment on Clockwork, which was top-notch, but I think Burgess deserves more credit than he gets. It's also probably worthwhile to check out some of Burgess' other work, since he doesn't even consider A Clockwork Orange one of his best.
I hated that book, adored the movie. It is the only instance ever that I liked the movie better than the book.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:02 AM   #22
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
I would also recommend [URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0192834770//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad.[/URL] Yes, I like escapist books.
I literally wanted the puke twenty pages into this book, but ended up throwing the book across the room in anger and storming out to buy some coffee. It is soooooo very badly written, it is horrendous. I couldn't continue reading. It reads like a high school paper by a half-literate idiot who has nothing to say. I don't understand how in the world is Conrad always hailed as the Great Polyglotic Writer of Amazing Unadulterated Genius and next to nobody notices that Nabokov, for example, wrote fantastically well in Russian, French and English?!?!

And I really wanted to read The Secret Agent because apparently it was Unabomber's favourite book. Just goes to show you that the fellow had no taste in 'high' literature.

Marek, stay clear of Conrad!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #23
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
I hated that book, adored the movie. It is the only instance ever that I liked the movie better than the book.
You liked the books better for all the other Kubrick movies (most (all?) of Stanley Kubricks movies are based on books)?

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 02-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #24
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Don't bother with the sequel.
Bwa? Closing Time was great. Admittedly it didn't match up to Catch 22, but it was still really good. Anything by Heller is definitely worth reading (except maybe Something Happened, haven't finished reading that yet...

Another author I would definitely recomment is Louis de Berniers. Although Cpt Corelli's Mandolin had an awful movie made of it, the novel is extremely well written (although there are some irritating romantic parts, and the ending sucked). De Berniers' first three novels (a trilogy) are great, very amusing and endearing. I only wish he would write some more novels, it's been about 9 years since his last I think.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
You know Swedish?
Javisst, I thought my occasional lines of Swedish in my posts and my knowledge of Swedish pastries was obvious enough.

Okay, so maybe it is a little confusing... I'm in England, from Holland... and my dad's Dutch and my mom's Swedish. I do speak the language, but my vocubalary isn't as broad as I'd like it to be. I only go there like once a year and I don't speak it that much with my mom. I'm better at English. But then, I speak that every day.

Quote:
And Guillou and Mankell is definitely *not* anywhere near the best thing you can read in Swedish.
I don't doubt that Swedish literature has much more to offer. Just saying that those are some books I really enjoyed. I also quite liked "Röde Orm". I must admit I haven't actually read a whole lot more...
Old 02-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #26
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Trep, you should read Steven Saylor's books. They're basically that, except in ancient Rome... both highly entertaining stories and very historically accurate.
Ancient Rome, eh? Should be fun. Thanks! ATM I'm trying to plow through Otto Rank's Art and Artist, but finding it's not quite a suitable read on the commuter train. I had to put down David Hume's A Treatise on Human Nature for the same reason. I guess hardcore philosophy and uncomfortable public transport rides don't mix. Too many distractions.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-03-2004, 11:40 AM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
I would also recommend [URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0192834770//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad.[/URL]
I literally wanted the puke twenty pages into this book, but ended up throwing the book across the room in anger and storming out to buy some coffee. It is soooooo very badly written, it is horrendous. I couldn't continue reading. It reads like a high school paper by a half-literate idiot who has nothing to say. I don't understand how in the world is Conrad always hailed as the Great Polyglotic Writer of Amazing Unadulterated Genius and next to nobody notices that Nabokov, for example, wrote fantastically well in Russian, French and English?!?!

And I really wanted to read The Secret Agent because apparently it was Unabomber's favourite book. Just goes to show you that the fellow had no taste in 'high' literature.

Marek, stay clear of Conrad!
I agree! I wanted so badly to experience The Secret Agent but I could not penetrate that writing style to save my life. AAACH!! Seriously, Conrad was posing with his pen. I definitely sensed substance in there, unfortunately it was buried far too deeply in his near opaque bravado. I finally got disgusted after the first two chapters and threw the book out. mycroft, I dunno how you survived the guy's ego, but more power to you.

I opine, John Buchan's The 39 Steps and Greenmantle, though simpler and more 'accessible', are at least more flowing and clear in their narrative. I really need to read the rest of his stuff.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #28
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Javisst, I thought my occasional lines of Swedish in my posts and my knowledge of Swedish pastries was obvious enough.
I must have missed those for some reason.
Quote:
Okay, so maybe it is a little confusing... I'm in England, from Holland... and my dad's Dutch and my mom's Swedish. I do speak the language, but my vocubalary isn't as broad as I'd like it to be. I only go there like once a year and I don't speak it that much with my mom. I'm better at English. But then, I speak that every day.
I could give you some tips for Swedish literature if you like.

Quote:
I don't doubt that Swedish literature has much more to offer. Just saying that those are some books I really enjoyed. I also quite liked "Röde Orm". I must admit I haven't actually read a whole lot more...
Yes, Röde Orm is a really good book (well, actually two books, but anyway).

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 02-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #29
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
That's interesting. For me it is just about the only instance in which I have appreciated both just about equally. What about the book did you not like?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-03-2004, 03:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
Ancient Rome, eh? Should be fun. Thanks!
Start with "Roman Blood". That's the first one.

Quote:
I could give you some tips for Swedish literature if you like.
That would be great, thanks!

Quote:
Yes, Röde Orm is a really good book (well, actually two books, but anyway).
I think I must have just read it as one huge volume bundled together... it was pretty big, and the story felt complete.

Also, I'd recommend the Discworld series to anyone. I've only read the first three and two from I-don't-know-where in the series, but they're hilarious!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:53 PM   #31
Umbilicus Mundi

Also, I recommend "Ficciones" by Jorge Luis Borges. I've only read a few stories so far, but they have been great.
It's not easy to read at first, but once you get used to his unique style it's really good.

Oh, and I just remembered
"The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream" by Paulo Coelho. That's one of the best things I've read in the last few years, besides "Don Quijote". I don't remember if the original or the Estonian translation had the subtitle though. They must have added it in the English translation.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:32 AM   #32
Knowledgeable

Quote:
That would be great, thanks!
You would want to read Bo Balderssons (that is a pseudonym) series of "Statsrådet", which are comedy/detective stories. Very funny stuff. You should also read Axel Munthes "The book about San Michele". Birger Sjöbergs "Kvartetten som sprängdes". Vilhelm Mobergs series about immigrants. Well, that's a few good books at least.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 02-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #33
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
You liked the books better for all the other Kubrick movies (most (all?) of Stanley Kubricks movies are based on books)?
I haven't seen his Lolita, but I hear that he failed miserably. It is hard to beat Nabokov.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #34
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
That's interesting. For me it is just about the only instance in which I have appreciated both just about equally. What about the book did you not like?
I can't remember any more. I guess I wanted the book to be better than the movie and it just never happened.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #35
Headbanger

Quote:
The Röde Orm books is great (two of the best books I ever read). I don't really like Mankells work but Guillou have written some great ones. His first book Ondskan and the Arn books are really good. I am reading the second book in that serie myself at the moment. It's great.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #36
Knowledgeable

Quote:
I haven't seen his Lolita, but I hear that he failed miserably. It is hard to beat Nabokov.
I didn't think he failed with Lolita, even if it isn't one of his better ones. On the other hand I never read the book.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 02-04-2004, 02:55 PM   #37
(Va-yoosh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
What was I typing about ... oh yes, recommendations. Got any?
George Orwell - Coming Up for Air
This is a very reviving read. If you're less-historically, politically and sociologically sensitive one you may not be interested in his other, more political books that he is so often correlated with but I assure you that this one's far more introvert while still mantaining typical humanistic 'orwellism' (the value of freedom and individuality)...

Yes, well that's what I recommend.

np Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder
Old 02-07-2004, 09:07 AM   #38
gin soaked boy

let's see...

[URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786709669//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 the words[/URL] by camilla gibb
[URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312282990//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 amazing adventures of kavalier & clay[/URL] by michael chabon
[URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/096559016X//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 dragons of springplace[/URL] by robert reed
[URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345459407//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 street station[/URL] by china mieville
[URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891830430//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20[/url] by craig thompson (okay, so it's a graphic novel, as they call comic books nowadays, but anything goes, right? )
Old 02-07-2004, 10:26 AM   #39
(Va-yoosh)

Comic Books? I definitly recommend gorgeous "anthropomorphic noir" - BLACKSAD:

[URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743479912//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 at amazon[/URL]

Blacksad iComics's Review
Old 02-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #40
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Dr stephen Joan. The odd brain