You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #41
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Nobody watching Eurovision this year? I'm not sure what to think of this Semi-final, besides the fact that we need a lot more western european countries, the eastern europeans only vote for each other!

I really wanted Iceland to continue, so I'm kinda sad about that one, and I rooted for Moldova, Poland, Hungary and Slovenia, so I got four..

Latvia's song was appalling, five guys trying to sing Italian and some kvasi pop form of opera. It isn't enough to vibrato your voice, it still isn't opera!
I hope, hope hope they don't win!

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #42
DAVE

I still clinch to the undying, but hopeless wish that they just cancel it forever because the music is getting worse by the year.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #43
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I didn't have any gin with me, but I still managed to watch bits of the semifinal. It was horrible crap, as was expected.

I knew Moldova would go through, sex appeal always wins.

It really is strange why they keep doing this contest, they don't even play the cheesy songs live anymore, it's all just playback.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #44
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

The semi-final qualifiers were rather... eastern.

As usual with everyone voting for their neighbours, UK doesn't stand a chance (nothing to do with having a stupid song, no no no)

Having seen most of the entries now, I think I like the Russians best.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #45
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Okay, so you think they're hot, but what do you think of the song?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #46
The Reggienator

I love United Kingdom's contribution to the ESC, because you guys always deliberately choose the worst and cheesiest possible band or artist to perform there.

We used to do that too, before last year when something strange happened and somehow a rock band was chosen and then they of course won the whole thing.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:16 AM   #47
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
I love United Kingdom's contribution to the ESC, because you guys always deliberately choose the worst and cheesiest possible band or artist to perform there.

We used to do that too, before last year when something strange happened and somehow a rock band was chosen and then they of course won the whole thing.

We used to do that too, just look at Stefan Raab and Guildo Horn. They both weren't really bad, they just weren't serious. They made fun of the whole idea of the Grand Prix.

Too bad they no longer do that.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #48
Lazy Bee

Strangely I haven't payed much attention to the Eurovision event this year. I usually think it's lots of fun actually. Have I suddenly matured by the age of 42?
I'll watch tomorrow though and cheer for The Ark. It's a catchy song which makes me dance.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #49
DAVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnV7Nydf9L4

haha you people watch this crap

wait I just did too
Old 05-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #50
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
What song did the UK choose? You hear next to nothing about this contest here in the US.
Lucky you.

The favourite at the moment according to the radio is a Tin-foil wearing Drag Queen from the Ukraine.

*Shudder* that this qualifies as entertainment.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #51
DAVE

A bad copy of the portuguese astronaut by Herman José.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #52
The Reggienator

I'm going to be SO DRUNK when the finals are aired.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #53
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The favourite at the moment according to the radio is a Tin-foil wearing Drag Queen from the Ukraine.

Best described by Graham Norton as a freakish cross between Elton John & Sue Pollard.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #54
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Without even having heard this entry it gives me serious doubts about watching tomorrow.
And even if I do end up watching it I always fall asleep somewhere at the end of the entries and throughout the voting.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #55
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

It is extremely funny, even though the song gives me a headache.. I just saw the re-run of "adresse Helsingfors" Ep.4 (swedish production featuring an "expert" from every Nordic country - Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland, who grade every song), which showed all the finalists. I'm actually positively surprised about the quality of the finalists this year. This is eurovision, so the "quality" is usually very bad, even the winning and best songs, but still in Eurovision comparison, these arn't anything near the worst I've heard.

There were quite a few that I really didn't like in the Semi-final, but I think it's only about three I really don't like among the finalists (not counting the semi-finalists that made it), which is almost a record for me, I think.. Ukraine is so stupid, you just have to laugh, so I don't think you should not watch because of them..

Oh, and Eurovision have it's own webpage, where I think you can see the whole semi-final (and final tomorrow), no matter which country you're in, but I can't vouch for it..
www.eurovision.tv

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #56
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Lucky you.

*Shudder* that this qualifies as entertainment.

She dresses even more weird than Hella von Sinnen (no, not a drag queen, though looking quite similar to the lady above) during her "Alles nichts oder" times:

(Before you say there's nothing strange about that dress, let me tell you that it is made entirely of blue plastic garbage bags.)

(This one isn't too clear. Hella is dressed up as the Mona Lisa [or maybe not. She's a painting, anyway.], complete with picture frame and all. She's on the right, and at that moment, Hugo Egon Balder, her co-moderator, is looking through the picture frame too.)

These are the only three I could find, but there were lots more. A different one for every episode.

No, I take it back. The drag queen doesn't dress more strangely than Hella von Sinnen. No one beats Hella von Sinnen at dressing up.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #57

Uggghh. I haven't seen them all, but there's a lot of terrible entries this year. Israel's is alright though.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #58
Under pressure.

The Netherlands most likely won't be joining ever again, if I have to believe the media here. There's been a lot of critique on the voting system. Not that I really care, I stopped watching years ago. It's kinda remarkable, however, because the Netherlands was one of the seven countries that started the whole show.

--Erwin
Old 05-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #59
DAVE

Hey speaking of Holland, care to explain something to me? You guys have legalized dope. Ok.

What's the difference between that and not having possession (I believe is our system) penalized? I'm asking in case you know because I'm considering a side project *cough*
Old 05-12-2007, 04:08 AM   #60

I think the Dutch song indeed did deserve to get into the final round in the Eurovision Song Contest. (and possibly the fine disco song by Belgium).

After having watch all the songs again (late last night til about 2 AM Copenhagen time) I have to say that it was a fair fight, and it was indeed the correct songs that did go onto the final round later this day (or night?).
The former Eastern European songs were so much better than most of the western European songs, especially Hungary and Latvia's contributions were top notch. And 10 years ago, a blues song would be unheard of in the ESC, let alone the fine opera inspired number, Latvia showed us

In case, you wondered, the queer Drag Queen that made a lot Drama in his song and looked like a Queen in his robe, was from Denmark...